Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Comments/questions:
    - Great sketch - I'm impressed with the artwork and clarity.
    - I assume the biner goes right next to the hammock, and the webbing clips to the biner? If that's the case, why can't you just use the Spectra that's already on the HH instead of replacing it with the climbing rope? Just cut the Spectra to about 8" and tie an overhand-on-a-bight. That's what Hammock Engineer did and it seems to work fine. Blackbishop just tied the biner on w/o cutting the Spectra so he can change it back if he doesn't like it. Pics of both of their setups here.
    - Unless you're tying to a metal pole or something, I don't think you'll need the extra wrap around the support. The Crazy Creek has never slipped on me, even with smooth-barked trees. That should make it easier to adjust the hammock after it's hung.
    - If you're using a trucker's hitch for the round ring, I don't think you'll need the square ring. The force doesn't need to be in line with the other rope for the hitch to work correctly. Unless I'm not understanding its purpose.
    - You still have two layers of webbing running between the hammock and tree. That's extra weight.
    - You're tying webbing, which binds easier than cord. Would suck to have your hitch bind and have to cut the webbing. And if you're tying it anyway, what's the advantage of using webbing over cord?

You've probably seen these, but might help just for comparisons.
    - Crazy Creek setup (for the wrap around the tree). Can't find a good pic of it...here's a BGT report that shows it in the tarp pics.
    - Speer 4-wrap (no buckles...just for the simplicity of it)
    - My homemade set using Crazy Creek's buckles (one layer of webbing between hammock and tree)
    - Hammock Engineer and Blackbishop setups from Hot Springs (connecting biner to webbing)

Hope this helps!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Jeff,

Thanks for the compliment on my doodling.

I was at a gathering this weekend and I got to see my first Eagle's Nest hammock, complete with slap straps. I tried the Slap Straps with my HH by tying a loop in the stock line right at the hammock and using the biners from the ENO to attach my HH to the Slap Straps. It's a great design but it was hard to be the right tension on the hammock. It was either to loose or I was unable to make it to the next loop. My idea kinda grew in my head from there.

I am going with climbing rope because I really don't care for the Spectra line on the HH and I never have. I would rather take the stock support lines off intact, without cutting them, because I am a little anal like that and would rather use the climbing rope instead of cutting the 8" or so off the stock lines, just in case I want to put everything back stock (I said I was anal).

Good point about the webbing binding when tying it off. I think if I was careful when I tie the webbing I should be okay.

In all honesty I will probably just use the Speer 4-wrap after I switch to straps. It's the most simple way to go. I just wanted to get your guys and gals opinions on my idea.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Anybody recommend a good functional micro biner? I didn't see anything at REI.

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    on the speer wrap, go with flyfisher's improved version- just thread the webbing through the last loop and half-hitch it to the line to secure it. Speer's 4 wrap is good, but this version gives me a little more peace of mind.

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Images
    I think Pan said something about JRB offering them at a good deal. Might be worth checking into. I think they are the ones that come with their underquilt suspension systems.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    JRB biners aren't for heavy duty stuff, though. Just checking...
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12