Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Speer SWT
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Hey Mac. The gorge is always open. Let us know when you can come and we'll do something. I don't get to camp a lot, but I do plenty of day trips. Be glad to have you any time!

Ken
    http://www.linvillegorge.net

"You can't hem up a Rat!" Malcom Johnson, ca. 1970

Stockton, New Jersey (along the Delaware River)
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    HG-4SCCCFT/WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/JRB MWUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, DW baby
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    SoundWitness, my suggestion would be just as Hawk said.
    Thanks, I appreciate it!!

Well, I've scoured over the maps, a NC Atlas/Gazatteer, Google Maps and MapQuest...........

Although the mileage and travel times between Google and MapQuest differ, I figured its about 585 miles to Jonas Ridge. That should take me somewhere between 8 1/2 to 9 hours. I'll strategically pack food to eat in transit, to eliminate down time. If I leave arounf 3 am, that should put me in the area after noon or 1 pm. I'll judge, based on my travel, where to start the hike.

Any other suggestions...I'm all ears!!

Menu is planned. Shopping day tomorrow for eats.....and fire up the dehydrator!! Having fun in the planning!!

Looking forward to this and to see the sights!! This will be my first time in the western part of the state.
    "Surround yourself with the best people you can find, delegate authority, and don't interfere."- RONALD REAGAN

"There is new life in the soil for every man. There is healing in the trees for tired minds and for our overburdened spirits, there is strength in the hills, if only we will lift up our eyes. Remember that nature is your great restorer." - CALVIN COOLIDGE

My Backpacking Site

Hammock
    Clark n150
    Tarp
    el cheepo
    Insulation
    figuring it out
    Suspension
    ropes/drip rings
    Images
    Where are the rest of the saturday am hikers going to begin?

If I wanted to climb table rock before meeting everyone where should I enter the trail? Or is this not reasonable?

I Know I asked earlier a similar question and was told to enter at the conley trailhead and make a right and that seems short and easy and what I can do if I'm hking alone. If I come with a friend I can probably do a longer hike. "earn my dinner"
    Any further advice?

thanks

cooldays

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cooldays View Post
    If I wanted to climb table rock before meeting everyone where should I enter the trail? Or is this not reasonable?

I Know I asked earlier a similar question and was told to enter at the conley trailhead and make a right and that seems short and easy and what I can do if I'm hking alone.
    Conley Cove trail is on the other side of the Gorge. I don't think you want to do that.

You could park at the Tablerock parking area and head north. The trail to the top of Tablerock is listed at 1.2 miles.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Time for another updated re-post of the pertinent trip data. I'll do this every so often so newcomers won't have to sort through the entire thread:

I am planning to do a loop backpacking trip around Linville Gorge starting Friday May 14th and ending Sunday the 16th.

The trip will cover about 22-25 miles. I am planning an easy pace to allow for plenty of sightseeing and picture taking, but a lot of the trails are officially listed as "Most Difficult".

Others hikers would be welcome. If anyone wants to join us for Saturday night, we will be on the Linville Gorge Trail, somewhere between Pinch-in and Conley Cove. Likely closer to Conley.

Let's plan to meet at the Spence Ridge trailhead at 10 a.m., head south and pick up the Mountains to Sea Trail, camp Friday night in the vicinity of Shortoff Mountain, continue across the Linville River, Saturday, on the MST, turn north on the Leadmine Trail and pick up the Linville Gorge Trail. We'll make our Saturday camp along the river and welcome any overnighters. Sunday we'll continue north on the LGT, head across the river on the Spence Ridge Trail and make our way up to the trailhead.

For anyone arriving later than 10 a.m. Friday, we will probably pass through the Tablerock parking area around noon. This would be a good alternate parking area. When we go through, we will leave a piece of orange surveyors tape on the fence that divides the parking lot upper and lower. It will be tied to the farthest north fence post. If you see the tape, head south to catch us. If no tape, either wait for us there or head north to find us at Tablerock.

Route map is attached below.

Linville Gorge Wilderness pamphlet from the Forest Service.

Ken's website - Linville Gorge Hiking and Trail Data

There's a good chance I might hang around(pun intended) for another night or two, either before or after these dates, based on the best weather.

Backcountry permits are required for weekend camping in the wilderness area, but they are free. Currently, I have a permit, Running Feather has one and Hawk-eye has one. These should cover everyone that shows up.

Showing up Friday:
    Tinker(Jerry)
    skippy
    Hangin' Burrito
    Running Feather
    Hedcase
    Nooner
    Cookie
    mtncmpr
    wisenber
    SoundWitness

Showing up Saturday
    Hawk-eye
    slowhike
    Ken
    Jim
    cooldays
    eagleJ

Maybe:
    CapitalBill
    hang um high
    stormcrow

Post or PM and I'll keep this list up to date.

Jerry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JerryW; 05-05-2010 at 23:43.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cooldays View Post
    Where are the rest of the saturday am hikers going to begin?

I Know I asked earlier a similar question and was told to enter at the conley trailhead and make a right and that seems short and easy and what I can do if I'm hking alone. If I come with a friend I can probably do a longer hike. "earn my dinner"
    Any further advice?

thanks

cooldays
    Quote Originally Posted by _Tinker_ View Post
    Conley Cove trail is on the other side of the Gorge. I don't think you want to do that.

You could park at the Tablerock parking area and head north. The trail to the top of Tablerock is listed at 1.2 miles.

Jerry
    I just reread your post cooldays. I missed that you are starting on Saturday. If you are really ambitious, you could hike down Conley Cove trail, north along the river to the bridge and up Spence Ridge trail to get to Tablerock. The round trip to get you back down to the river to meet us would probably be more than 10 miles(Linville Gorge miles!). That's pretty ambitious in my book.

An alternative would be to drive to Tablerock, hike up and see the views and then hike to Spence Ridge trail. Take it down to the river and head south until you found us. Probably be about 6+ miles without as much climbing. Then you could hike out with us on Sunday.

Jerry

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Anytime, Jerry!

Thank you for the kind words. We'll just have to do it again!

I was telling MtnCmpr on the phone that it's been 30 years since I hiked down that ridge. I was really looking forward to it. However, I had a better offer, which I will explain next week. Anyway, I plan to take Hawk-eye up on his offer, perhaps while it's still cool during June.

- MacEntyre
    Mac,

Do I see Damascus in your future?

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SoundWitness View Post
    Thanks, I appreciate it!!

Well, I've scoured over the maps, a NC Atlas/Gazatteer, Google Maps and MapQuest...........

Although the mileage and travel times between Google and MapQuest differ, I figured its about 585 miles to Jonas Ridge. That should take me somewhere between 8 1/2 to 9 hours. I'll strategically pack food to eat in transit, to eliminate down time. If I leave arounf 3 am, that should put me in the area after noon or 1 pm. I'll judge, based on my travel, where to start the hike.

Any other suggestions...I'm all ears!!

Menu is planned. Shopping day tomorrow for eats.....and fire up the dehydrator!! Having fun in the planning!!

Looking forward to this and to see the sights!! This will be my first time in the western part of the state.
    Soundwitness, I was going to start at 3pm with Mac at Table Rock. My shorter commute will let me shift my schedule around if you're wanting someone to hike in with.

Leaving at 3 am would be pretty rough. Just let me know if you want to adopt a more sane departure time.

Stockton, New Jersey (along the Delaware River)
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    HG-4SCCCFT/WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/JRB MWUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, DW baby
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    Soundwitness, I was going to start at 3pm with Mac at Table Rock. My shorter commute will let me shift my schedule around if you're wanting someone to hike in with.

Leaving at 3 am would be pretty rough. Just let me know if you want to adopt a more sane departure time.
    That works for me!! Thanks. Sleep is a good thing......

I'll plan a little later start time up here in Jersey. I'll PM ya as we get closer.
    "Surround yourself with the best people you can find, delegate authority, and don't interfere."- RONALD REAGAN

"There is new life in the soil for every man. There is healing in the trees for tired minds and for our overburdened spirits, there is strength in the hills, if only we will lift up our eyes. Remember that nature is your great restorer." - CALVIN COOLIDGE

My Backpacking Site

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images

Thumbs up WEATHER UPDATE ... looking good

Another look at the long range weather outlook for Linville Falls (north of LG) and Morganton (south of LG)
    Attached Images Attached Images

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

• + New Posts
  • Page 53 of 106 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast