Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    DIY 8x 10 silnylon
    Insulation
    50* p pod
    Images

Just one question about the HH Asym...

I just got an Explorer Deluxe, and when setting it up today i noticed one problem for me. Once i was inside the thing, i was trying to lay on the diagonal, but 'the corner' i was trying to put my feet in was too loose, and therefore very awkward. The tension down the middle of the hammock was pretty tight, though. I experimented with different tensions, different sags, etc., and kept having the same problem. However, when i set it up yesterday, it was golden, did not have this problem. The trees i was hanging from yesterday were much further apart, therefore easier to deal with, the trees today were pretty close, although i was able to get the ridgeline tension pretty tight.

1. Any tips on how to tweak the set-up? I know its different for everyone, but has anyone dealt with this particular problem?

2. Which way are you supposed to lay diagonally in the thing? I was laying left to right, with may head to the left.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I have no idea how far apart the trees are that you are using, but with my HH 12' is about the minimum. Although that is because I'm using straight webbing for the suspension and need the room to lash it. But, most people that use HHs tighten it really tight and let the ridgeline do the sag work. If you weren't able to really pull it tight, that might have something to do with the slack.

As far as the diagonal goes, head on the left is how most people sleep. But, always hang your own hang.

Hopefully, one of the smarter people will chime in soon.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    You were laying correctly (head to left of center, feet to right).

The sag should be the same regardless of how tight you hang it because of the structural ridgeline. Provided you had enough room to get it tight (you mentioned "pretty tight").

Another thing you can try is adjusting for comfort isthe height of the foot end, some prefer it a little higher than the head end.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whitefoot_hp View Post
    I just got an Explorer Deluxe, and when setting it up today i noticed one problem for me. Once i was inside the thing, i was trying to lay on the diagonal, but 'the corner' i was trying to put my feet in was too loose, and therefore very awkward. The tension down the middle of the hammock was pretty tight, though. I experimented with different tensions, different sags, etc., and kept having the same problem. However, when i set it up yesterday, it was golden, did not have this problem.
    Is your hammock new? How many times have you set it up? If it is still new, you may still be dealing with some initial stretch of the hammock body itself. But, that should go away within a few hangs.

Redtail is right, though. The HH ridgeline is structural, so provided that the hammock suspension is tight enough, each hang should have the same amount of sag.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    DIY 8x 10 silnylon
    Insulation
    50* p pod
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Is your hammock new? How many times have you set it up? If it is still new, you may still be dealing with some initial stretch of the hammock body itself. But, that should go away within a few hangs.

Redtail is right, though. The HH ridgeline is structural, so provided that the hammock suspension is tight enough, each hang should have the same amount of sag.
    Yes, the hammock is brand spanking new. I think that and too much sag in the support ropes was my problem. Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions.

Images
    this might not be the case if the ridgeline is nylon. my old one is, someone else said theirs was too, and somebody thought they had a spectra one.

if it is small diameter nylon, it could easily be stretched 2-3 inches longer than the fully open/unstretched length. that may be enough to notice difference. what is yours made of redtail?

Quote Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
    You were laying correctly (head to left of center, feet to right).

The sag should be the same regardless of how tight you hang it because of the structural ridgeline. Provided you had enough room to get it tight (you mentioned "pretty tight").

Another thing you can try is adjusting for comfort isthe height of the foot end, some prefer it a little higher than the head end.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    what is yours made of redtail?
    I don't know how to tell what mine is made of, I haven't noticed much stretch. My hammock is an Expedition I got last Dec. It would be unfortunate if whitefoot_hp's change in sag was due to ridgeline stretch since he liked the sag so much the first day.

Images
    just tie one end to the tree, if its nylon, you should be able to feel some stretch when you pull hard on the other end, if its spectra, you will feel no stretch. you have to pull hard to get the nylon to stretch though, but many do pull their hh's real tight, if you don't, you probably would never notice, or maybe hh switched to spectra somewhere along the way, mine with nylon was very old.

Quote Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
    I don't know how to tell what mine is made of, I haven't noticed much stretch. My hammock is an Expedition I got last Dec. It would be unfortunate if whitefoot_hp's change in sag was due to ridgeline stretch since he liked the sag so much the first day.

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    DIY 8x 10 silnylon
    Insulation
    50* p pod
    Images
    I have slept in my HH explorer the past two nights, and havent had the problem i described above. Thank you everyone for your thoughts/suggestions. I believe that i either had the hammock set-up with too much slant, ie one end too high, or the HH does in fact stretch a bit after a few uses. Another possibility is that i was just being dumb that one day. you never knpw. Last night i slept so great in hammock that i dont remember waking up once. felt great in the morning.

as far as the ridgeline, i suspect mine is made of spectra, but am not sure. as far as i can tell it has not stretched.

also, i have been sleeping in a cotton tee shirt, nylon pants with mesh liner, and only a 40 degree wal mart snythetic bag with no ccf pad under it, and a kelty compressible pillow with synthetic insulation, and have not had issues with being cold. lows around the clayton, ga, area have been in the fifties and sixties.
    Last edited by whitefoot_hp; 07-27-2007 at 14:07.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Love your signature Whitefoot_Hp
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast