Thread: favorite velcro

Images

favorite velcro

i'm looking into using velcro/hook and loop for a proj.

seems like there are several new options for velcro applications. what is everyone using, and where did you get it?

Brandon

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I have never used it, but after seeing the Jacks use of Omni Tape, That is going to be my choice from now on. It's like velcro, but it's not hook & loop, its more like hook & hook or loop & loop, so it sticks to itself or another strip, depending on how it's applied.

BTW: you got a web site up yet?
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Images
    yeah, i saw it on their quilts at td's, i also heard someone talking about some other new kind on anopther thread. don't remember what it was called though, and i found some stuff at joanne's that is scotch brand. unlike the omni tape, the two sides are different, but whats cool is it's very very thin, much thinner and lighter than the omni tape. the omni tape looks cool because of its anti snag properties.

as for the website, i'm holding off till i figure out whats going to happen with the whole asym patent infringement thing, yeah, its been kinda slow going. thats mainly my fault though. hopefully will know more in a couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    I have never used it, but after seeing the Jacks use of Omni Tape, That is going to be my choice from now on. It's like velcro, but it's not hook & loop, its more like hook & hook or loop & loop, so it sticks to itself or another strip, depending on how it's applied.

BTW: you got a web site up yet?

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    The best place to buy Omni Tape or Snag Free Velcro is here. They call it Free Magic Velcro. It runs .52 per yard whereas Omni tape in most stores runs about 3.00 for 36". It crazy expensive in stores.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    yeah, it was velcro free magic that i heard someone talking about, didn't realize they were the same thing. thanks.

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    I used regular velcro on my fleece quilt/bag project, but as yall have figured out the hook side sometimes is not my friend When I sew a bug net on my homemade speer I will use a zipper.
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Images
    yeah, i'm a fan of zippers on netting too. i had some netting get pretty messed up with velcro.

Quote Originally Posted by Preacha Man View Post
    I used regular velcro on my fleece quilt/bag project, but as yall have figured out the hook side sometimes is not my friend When I sew a bug net on my homemade speer I will use a zipper.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I like omni-tape b/c it doesn't snag and it's A LOT more comfortable against skin than velcro. Comparing the headhole in the JRB with the edges of the PeaPod...I had to make something to cover up the PeaPod's scratchy velcro when I wanted to sleep with my head out of the Pod.

Haven't seen the magic stuff yet.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've been using the Velcro Free Magic for some time now and like it for where I do use Velcro. It is softer than regular Velcro, the backing isn't as stiff. That also makes it more flexible.

Also, it is lighter than regular Velcro, even lighter than most or all zippers. I have compared the weight of the Free Magic with all the zippers I could get my hands on and it is lighter than any I compared.

• + New Posts