Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Using a tent as a hammock

I have been thinking a lot lately of trying to get up off the ground on my camping and portaging trips and seem to have found the right place to get some info. Has anyone tried or thought of trying to use a tent as a hammock using the end gathering method? There are a **** ton of mosquitoes in my area, and was hoping I would be able to get inside of the tent throught the normal tent doors in the same fashion as the Warbonnet hammocks. Am I dreaming here or is this a realistic vision I'm having?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Welcome to the forum.

Generally it's more trouble than it's worth to even try this. You really do not need a waterproof hammock - you'll be bathing in your own sweat. And unless the tent is shaped correctly for the job it's going to make a rather awkward hammock to use - the door won't be quite as functional.

The walls of the tent are mesh, so heat wont be a problem. My reasoning behind this is to have the ability to use my tent and fly either hung up or on the ground depending on the situation, without having to purchase and carry extra gear. What are some hammock models that are useable both ways?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I wasn't talking about heat... I was talking about moisture.

All hammocks with a full bugnet can be used as a bug bivy on the ground. Some are easier than others to use for this.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    The Clark hammocks such as the North American model and the NX-200 model work very well set up on the ground...
    I cannot imagine any tent I've ever owned working well as a hammock though.
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    King;

I am doing much the same thing. My buddy had a lawn shelter he was gonna throw out, and since i bought 2 guns and a reflex sight already, I figured i would go super cheap, (free) on my hammock. I cut it up, and will be ussing the roof as a hammock and the netting to make a side zipper opening. if you mean can you use a tent and just gather the ends and tie it up and jump in, I would bet that would be tough. I mean I think you could hang it and get in, but I picture alot of billowing foldiness. Plus you would still need poles and stakes. But hey, try it in the yard. Might be great.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    King.....
    one thing about hammock people... we like to fiddle with gear and take it to areas it wasn't designed to go... You should fit right in with that mind set, so try out your ideas!! That's what we do when we think of some wild idea. Some work out and some don't. You never know till you try though.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15643

There is also someone making a hammock sock out of the tent.

When you are in a tent, you may have noticed condensation on the walls inside. That will happen regardless of temperature in some conditions. I have been down to freezing and below with a hammock and a waterproof poncho over the bottom insulation and found condensation from my body moisture on the outside of the quilt - you will give off moisture whether you are sweating or not. A waterproof hammock will trap it under you. People sometimes have this trouble with using a pad in a hammock, though fabric between them and the pad will mitigate that somewhat.
    Last edited by lori; 03-24-2010 at 09:55.

Thanks everyone, you've all been most helpful. I like what I've seen of the Clark hammocks, I may change my mind from the WBBB. I'm still comparing the two.

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Quote Originally Posted by hippofeet View Post
    King;

I am doing much the same thing. My buddy had a lawn shelter he was gonna throw out, and since i bought 2 guns and a reflex sight already, I figured i would go super cheap, (free) on my hammock. I cut it up, and will be ussing the roof as a hammock and the netting to make a side zipper opening.
    Wow I would be careful not to be hanging to high when you test it. Old material that has been out in the sun could possibly have a sudden and catastrophic failure. I hope I am wrong.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast