Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ENO Vs. Hennessey

Hi,

I am new here ... I recently got a ENO doublenest and I am HAPPY with it. So happy that it got me surfing the Internet to find out more about this hanging world. I've come to find out the Hennessey hammocks seem to be the norm ... I was wondering what makes the HH better than the ENOs (are they?).

I'm interested to hear (read) what you think.

-VBP

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Popular topic today. Check out the last few posts to this thread: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=1597

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Welcome to the forum vic.

You can't really say that one hammock is better than another. Each person has features that they like in a hammock and features that they don't. It all depends in what you are looking for. ENO's are great hammock and several members here who own them are perfectly happy with them. Some people may prefer the features in a HH; bottom loading, structural ridge line, etc

The best advice I can give it to try out as many as you can and decide which best suits you. A good place to try hammocks are the SEHHA hangouts in Hot Springs, NC sponsored by Ed Speer of www.speerhammocks.com.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vic View Post
    Hi,

I am new here ... I recently got a ENO doublenest and I am HAPPY with it. So happy that it got me surfing the Internet to find out more about this hanging world. I've come to find out the Hennessey hammocks seem to be the norm ... I was wondering what makes the HH better than the ENOs (are they?).

-VBP
    As I've mentioned here before, the hammock is not always greener on the other side. I actually have the exact opposite mindset right now. I have a Hennessy Hyperlight and I enjoy it. I've been thinking of getting an ENO doublenest cause I'm curious as to how much more comfortable the extra width would be. You can never have too many hammocks. I'd try to make me a bridge hammock but I'm not in the mood. I'm waiting for the Jack's to bring theirs to market.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Thank you all for the responses. Good points ...

Now I have even more questions. I've read about the benefits of the structural ridgeline ... easy setup, same feel every hang etc ...

ENOs don't have structural ridgelines ... how can I add one? can I just add a strong enough line between the standard biners that attach to the slap straps?

-VBP

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    ENOs don't have structural ridgelines ... how can I add one? can I just add a strong enough line between the standard biners that attach to the slap straps?
    Yes. You might have to tinker with the length of that line, though, trying different lengths until you find the most comfortable amount of sag in the hammock body.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY zHammock / WB BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Spinntex
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts, GG Pad
    With my ENO Single Nest, I took off the quick links and ran my structural ridgleline between the two black ropes that the quick links attach (sp?) too. I do this because 1) I am a once counting freak and those links weight 5 ounces combined, reducing the hammock to 13 oz instead of 18. 2) I can swap the suspension without having to take the ridge line off the hammock. I get some photos later this weekend.

As to your orginal question, I really like my hennesseys. They are really comfortable and I can lay really fat inside them. That said, I am a big dude. Around 270 lbs, and well above the recommended weight limit of HH lighter version hammocks. I fell that a UltraLight backpacker would hold my weight (since I made a DIY hammock out of 1.9 oz ripstop that held me over 200mi on the AT) although I would probly switch out the spectra for some vetran cord (3200 lb test at 4 mm and 3 oz =) I like my ENO for its versity. Its really breathable which is great for summer and its light, with my weight within its safty limit. I also generally like top loading hammock over the bottom entry of the HH. And i can get jsut as flat in the ENO as a HH, but in a Double, you really can flat with the extra width. Also I can easily swap out the suspension system from a poly pro webbing, to specrta cord and tree huggers, to the ring method, etc. etc. but the best advice is to find a way to "test drive" different hammocks for your self. Hangouts are one way, another is hiker festivles like trail days where there were 4 hammock vendors this past year. Happy Hanging
    Last edited by Bulldog; 08-03-2007 at 22:59.
    NREMT-B, WEMT
    CPR goes up and down, up and down......because my patient's dead.
    Hanger Fromally Known as Ghost93.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Vic,

Welcome to the Hanging Gang....

Structural ridgeline is easy.... tie one end to the ENO S hook..... wrap the other end around the opposite hook... use a tautline hitch, adjust until you are happy.... mark it and retie the cord with a more secure/perminent knot.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    DIY 8x 10 silnylon
    Insulation
    50* p pod
    Images
    I have both an ENO doublnest and a HH Explorer deluxe.

One thing to consider is that the ENO is very light, and if you are in a situation where you don't need bug protection (winter months) it remains very light, especially if you eliminate the clips as someone mentioned above.

Currently, the ENO is my winter or cold weather hammock because its lightweight allows me to carry the extra gear needed to sleep warm. The HH is my bug weather hammock, because the net is built in.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Hi,

-VBP
    glad you found hammock forums,there are better hammocks,for me the best is the claytor jungle hammock neo

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/junglehammock.html

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast