Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Cuben Bridge Hammock

Have y'all seen these pics? Pretty good descriptionon each of the pictures.

http://picasaweb.google.com/dmn.phot...BridgeHammock#
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Busted! You may recognize my mismatched socks, if not the apartment building that looks out over my yard that shows up from time to time in other of my photos.

I have gone through three iterations of rolling the edge of the bridge hammock body several times to replace the webbing or cord suspension. This was the first one. I'm not yet confident in the longevity of any of the "rolled edge" approaches, principally because the fabric curls up in the corners where the stresses are greatest, curls that have in some failures been the point of failure.

The current best model uses 1" grosgrain folded over in place of webbing. It needs endcaps still...I need tinker time....a report will come in due time.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    HH Camo Survivor & DIY GE
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    I knew it was expensive. I just didn't realize how fragile it is. Doesn't it defeat the purpose of light material if you have to reinforce everything with tape and multiple layers?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Haha - I wondered if it was one of our members. But no...I was certain OUR members would have posted a report about it long ago. You must pay pennance by creating a new video of it. With a cameo by Shug.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WarmSoda View Post
    I knew it was expensive. I just didn't realize how fragile it is. Doesn't it defeat the purpose of light material if you have to reinforce everything with tape and multiple layers?
    These versions (1, 2(fail!), and 3) had corners were that over-engineered. Later versions I moved on to heavier material (the one pictured is under 0.5 oz/sq yd, I moved up a notch to something more like 0.65 oz/yd. I can tell the difference).

The challenge is to find the places that have to be re-enforced and do those minimally.

In the end it is mostly an academic exercise. From a practical point of view, whatever weight might be saved is a relatively small number of ounces over a minimalist bridge hammock made of 1.9 oz ripstop.
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 04-03-2010 at 00:47.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Mis-matched socks?
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    In the end it is mostly an academic exercise. From a practical point of view, whatever weight might be saved is a relatively small number of ounces over a minimalist bridge hammock made of 1.9 oz ripstop.
    Great project for a professor then, huh?!

I was considering this as I laid in bed half-awake this morning...do I want to spend the $$$ on a cuben GE? I figure I can make a 1.1 sil GE for 5-6 oz...out of the $1/yd material I already own. Or I can make a one for 2-3 oz from cuben. (Not including supports.) So that's a 3-4 oz savings at a cost of around $75, or about $20/oz. I might do that...if I could order only 3 yards. I haven't searched yet for other distributors, but I think Cubic Tech has a 9 yard minimum. At $26/yd, that's a lot of $$$!

But I guess I could save a lot more ounces w/ a cuben tarp to go with it. And doors.
    Last edited by Just Jeff; 04-03-2010 at 18:15. Reason: typo

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Great stuff, Griz. I appreciate the inventiveness and the candor. Did you get any of the 3M 9460 adhesive release tape? I can send you a piece to experiment with if you'd like. I finally found the 3M Primer 94 that's supposed to make tapes adhere better to polyester. Now I'm set to make a tarp with the CT0.6K.08 I've been saving. I'd be tempted to try a cuben hammock, but I'm not a bridge-maker (yet ), and taking into consideration the strengths and weaknesses of cuben, I figure I'll get more "hang for the buck" with tarps.
    Last edited by WV; 04-03-2010 at 09:54.

Hammock
    DIY Cuben
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    down,over & under
    Images
    my C bridge I am having sewed by someone that knows how to sew (not me) 5 in arc. Using 1/2 in webbing in the arcs. Grizz, it would seem that the stitching is a main culprit in using C. (C holds very well at shear, but very little at peal, that is the problem!) My tarp has no stitching and has held up OK. (however I think I am going to add Grizz beaks or maybe just Grizz beak!)) I use gorilla tape for all line points.(I don't use a thru ridge line, just a attachment point, like the side pull outs) holds like a ,well, gorilla! I use G Tape- Cub- G Tape, and small carbon fiber tube in the "U" of the tape, distributes the strain over a greater area. C is addicting, but perhaps makes better stuff sacs, tarps and pacs rather than the bridge, the GE H works great tho! gnome

Very timely post JJ. Thanks for the pics Grizz.

I finally ordered a panel of CT1K.08 cuben yesterday to do something similar. The real issue that I see with using cuben in a bridge is dealing with peel strength of all of the hems. The best way to stop peel is to sew but then the problem is dealing with the stitch holes opening up. I have seen posts that have shown that Hysol adhesive does pretty well with peel but I have not been able to test it yet.

A nine meter panel is just about perfect to make a 11x9 Tarp and Bridge Hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast