Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Grizz I realized it was yours right away. Reconized your feet and pole end.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Gnome's connector (tape around a carbon graphite tube, creating a toggle) would be excellent in place of a ring.
    Are there pictures/descriptions anywhere? I searched without success...

Hammock
    DIY Cuben
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    down,over & under
    Images
    the small carbon fiber tube prob. 1/8 in diam refers to my attachment points for my tie outs and my ridge line tie outs on my cuben tarp. I am now using 2-1/2 in gorilla tape;the cf tube in the U of the tape then another 2-1/2 tape,
    so I have tape-cuben tarp-tape with the tube in the U where the tape reverses on itself itself.(it is a difficult thing to explain but simple to do, I had some trouble using a thinner tape that would slip some in the hot sun, I hope the G tape will do better. If not I will contact 3M about some heat resistant tape that works with cuben) this seems to work well with tie outs and for the ridge line. I am not sure how that would help with helping reinforce the arcs or making the attachments to the suspension. Perhaps one could use cuben tape tube cuben tape and use a good adhesive. I mainly use a glue strip.to connect m tarp seams, I don't sew and the sewing holes seem to destroy the integrity of cuben. If enough of us continue to use this most fascinating stuff and continue to pool our ideas pretty soon we might actually make stuff work and be freeeeeky liiiiiitttte, gnome

Hammock
    DIY Cuben
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    down,over & under
    Images
    ps in using the tape I actually don't use it as a toggle (tho I see no reason that wouldn't work, tho the toggle would be 2 in wide)) I poke a hole in the mid point of the 2 in tape next to the tube and pull my attachment cord thru and tie it.( Now does that make any sense?,) It works to distribute the pull over the 2 in of the tape to the cuben.gnome

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Gnome, thanks for posting with more details. I'm planning to use a variation of your toggle connection on my cuben tarp. For "tape" I will use cuben strips with a 3M adhesive transfer tape, #9460, which is what they recommend for "high energy surfaces". According to 3M, polyester is high energy, and I think polyester is essentially what the surface of cuben is composed of. 3M also suggests using their "Primer 94" to improve the bond of the 9460 tape. I've used 9460 without the primer for stuff sacks, and it seems very tough (in shear, not peel). Unfortunately, the 3M products are like the cuben itself: hard to find in small quantities and somewhat costly. I was able to buy a single roll of 1" x 60 yards 3M 9460 tape from Uline. I also found a single 1/2 pt. can of Primer 94 from River Supply. Everybody else wanted to sell these items in case lots only. The primer has a working life of "18 months from the date of manufacture" - not something you want to buy a 5-year supply of. Then there's the Hazmat shipping ... I haven't tried the Loctite glue, but it may be a more reasonable option. I have tried both types of tape offered by Questoutfitters, and they're okay, but not nearly as good as 9460 (which is also lighter).

Now, unfortunately, you know everything that I know. When I learn anything else, I'll post again.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Extending the folds beyond the hammock body sounds like gluing up a strap of cuben, an interesting idea. You may find that you don't need very many folds to get a very strong strap that way, which would be good because too many glued layers could get heavy. Gnome's connector (tape around a carbon graphite tube, creating a toggle) would be excellent in place of a ring.
    here's a picture of the corner of the current working version.

Indeed what I did was to bond a rectangular extension several inches past the end of the body. I rolled in a folded over length of 1" wide grosgrain, 5 or 6 times if memory serves. I then ran a pair of stiches along the edge, just as I would in a webbing+nylon hammock. The extended strap was folded back and taped with double sided tape, leaving a loop in which I put a bit of protective vinyl tubing through which the suspension cord goes.

To really hold the strap down I added some "Handy Stitcher" by hand, clearly one end of that needs to be tucked in.

Finally, I put a strip of 1" wide single sided tape (it is clear but you can just make it out) adjoining the half inch "webbing" strip and the hammock body, positioned to take some of the strain off the stitches.

Other particulars about this hammock
    - 47" wide at the head, and foot
    - 37" wide in the middle
    - 4.5 oz without the suspension, but also without any substantive endcaps. I'm still tinkering with both aspects. Endcaps made of cuben won't add more than 0.5 oz.

than 0.,5
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I might do that...if I could order only 3 yards. I haven't searched yet for other distributors, but I think Cubic Tech has a 9 yard minimum.
    Jeff - Quest sells two different weights of cuben fiber by the yard. It's a little more expensive, though.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Now does that make any sense?
    Very much so. I like it. I saw a post of a connection point that was similar but built with several layers of cuben. See
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...=180648#180648

3M products are like the cuben itself: hard to find
    I found 1/2 3m and C3 at kitebuilders.com. The 3m was 24$ a roll the C3 was cheaper. I am still shopping for a source for the Hysol. I can get the Aquaseal locally(~10$ tube).

I put a strip of 1" wide single sided tape (it is clear but you can just make it out) adjoining the half inch "webbing" strip and the hammock body
    Just a thought. From what I have read, stitching using the longest stitch length and smallest possible needle seems to be the "best" method for solving the peel problem. I was thinking that by either using tape as you have done or gluing a wide strip of cuben accross a peelable area would make a strong bond in shear.... just mind wandering. Thanks for you pictures they really are helping.

If enough of us continue to use this most fascinating stuff and continue to pool our ideas pretty soon we might actually make stuff work and be freeeeeky
    I hope so. While cuben seems expensive, when you compare what you can make with it with what you can buy, I think that its fairly reasonable way to be SUL and very comfortable.

Hammock
    DIY Cuben
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    down,over & under
    Images
    Quote:
    Now does that make any sense?

Very much so. I like it. I saw a post of a connection point that was similar but built with several layers of cuben. See
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...=180648#180648

My tie out connection are very similar to the above. I use gorilla tape- cuben -tape with the carbon fiber tube, (1/8 in diam )in the U of the tape. then I poke a hole in the center of the tube in the tape and tie the cord, instead of threading the tie out thru the tube, works well on edges.Distributes the load well. for pull outs I think some further reinforcing on the inside would be necessary but doable. gnome

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123