Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I want this to woork, but...

Hi all,

Typo in the title, oh well...

I joined up about a month ago, bought a HH explorer deluxe (demo) w/ hex fly and SS direct from HH, for $159 CDN (good deal, I thought). The first time I set it up one of the fly tie outs ripped off. I contacted HH and they sent me a new one, and told me to keep the old one as a spare if it is repairable. It was, so great. (By the way, HH has been good with their customer service, they even sent me a larger stuff sack to replace the original one [which ripped as well] and to accomodate the larger hex fly.) Only this weekend I noticed that a different tie out is starting to go on the original fly. I inspected all the tie outs on the original and the replacement fly, and they seemed fine, but now I wonder. Anyone else experience this problem? I like a taut tarp, but I don't think I overdid it. I find that if the fly is not taut enough the wind blows the fly against the hammock, and if it rains, I am concerned that I will get wet. I am also not any harder on my gear than what the elements bring. I like to take care of my stuff.

I am also finding that I am disappointed in the comfort level. I was hoping for "the best sleep I ever had in the woods," but this was not the case. I believe I am setting up correctly, close to level (head end slightly up, if anything). I have trouble finding the right axis to lie on, it seems I am not lying as flat as others describe. I cannot side lie without bunching up into the fetal position, and lying prone is out of the question. I get a bunch of hammock fabric on my right side, and I am about 2 inches from the bug netting on the left, so it just doesn't seem balanced. I am also wondering if I am setting the sag correctly. When tying the knot I tighten so that the hammock is nearly level, and when I get in it seems like there is an appropriate amount of sag (30 deg?). Any ideas?

The insulation issue is also a PITA. I tried the wal mart foam and it was a disaster. I cut it up to make wings for the sides of my thermarest, and that I think is the ticket. Now if I can only get my neighbour to sew me up an SPE of some sort...

I really like the idea of the hammock and I want it to work, but right now I am frustrated about a bunch of things. So far it has just been backyard hammocking, but in three weeks I am heading out for a canoe trip and I want to get the kinks out before, or I'm going to take the tent .

Thanks in advance for any replies...
    Last edited by paddleguy; 08-07-2007 at 08:21. Reason: typo

Images
    how tall are you?
    I have the explorer ultralight (same dimensions but lighter fabric) and can understand your discomfort.
    I've had the same issues because I'm 6'3"
    I'd like to try the safari to see if it's better but the fabric is only 4" longer and 10" wider. Maybe that width helps but I think it needs to be longer to maximize comfort.
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

An alternative is to try a wider pad. The Oware I use is 40" wide...in the hammock it tends to cup around the shoulders providing extra insulation and wind block. And, mostly because of its 40X60" size, it doesn't slip in the hammock. But beware...wider pads make for bulkier packing.

The sagging issue might be the new fabric/lines stretching out. If so, that will go away after a couple uses. Otherwise, make sure your feet are on one side of the centerline and your head and shoulders are on the other side. The distribution of your body weight may be a factor too. Raise the appropriate end of the straps to accomodate the difference.

My HH is about four years old...I can't comment on the quality of today's HH.

FB

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I have had 2 of the tie outs on my original HH fly rip. The failure came right at the corners. I think the reason the the tie out points on the HH fail is because the bias tape around the edge of the tarp has only one row of stitching through a single layer of silnylon. On my tarp, it's like the fabric became frayed and has just pulled through the stitching.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paddleguy View Post
    Hi all,

Typo in the title, oh well...

I joined up about a month ago, bought a HH explorer deluxe (demo) w/ hex fly and SS direct from HH, for $159 CDN (good deal, I thought). The first time I set it up one of the fly tie outs ripped off. I contacted HH and they sent me a new one, and told me to keep the old one as a spare if it is repairable. It was, so great. (By the way, HH has been good with their customer service, they even sent me a larger stuff sack to replace the original one [which ripped as well] and to accomodate the larger hex fly.) Only this weekend I noticed that a different tie out is starting to go on the original fly. I inspected all the tie outs on the original and the replacement fly, and they seemed fine, but now I wonder. Anyone else experience this problem? I like a taut tarp, but I don't think I overdid it. I find that if the fly is not taut enough the wind blows the fly against the hammock, and if it rains, I am concerned that I will get wet. I am also not any harder on my gear than what the elements bring. I like to take care of my stuff.

I am also finding that I am disappointed in the comfort level. I was hoping for "the best sleep I ever had in the woods," but this was not the case. I believe I am setting up correctly, close to level (head end slightly up, if anything). I have trouble finding the right axis to lie on, it seems I am not lying as flat as others describe. I cannot side lie without bunching up into the fetal position, and lying prone is out of the question. I get a bunch of hammock fabric on my right side, and I am about 2 inches from the bug netting on the left, so it just doesn't seem balanced. I am also wondering if I am setting the sag correctly. When tying the knot I tighten so that the hammock is nearly level, and when I get in it seems like there is an appropriate amount of sag (30 deg?). Any ideas?

The insulation issue is also a PITA. I tried the wal mart foam and it was a disaster. I cut it up to make wings for the sides of my thermarest, and that I think is the ticket. Now if I can only get my neighbour to sew me up an SPE of some sort...

I really like the idea of the hammock and I want it to work, but right now I am frustrated about a bunch of things. So far it has just been backyard hammocking, but in three weeks I am heading out for a canoe trip and I want to get the kinks out before, or I'm going to take the tent .

Thanks in advance for any replies...
    First off...the head end should be slightly lower than the feet end. Initially it seemed contrary to everything I believed in the past but it's true. If the head and most importantly, the upper bod attached to it, are higher, they will have a tendency to constantly slide toward the lowest spot in the hammock....ie. the center. The fix....lower the head end....and don't worry....all the blood won't rush to your head.

Second...you may be tightening your hammock too much. I'm not familiar with HH hammocks but my Claytor Jungle hammock is much more comfortable with a looser hang. With a real tight hang it tightens the width of the hammock and may lead to the dreaded "shoulder squeeze". Take it out in the backyard (assuming you have trees) and experiment with different degrees of looseness. I believe you'll find a looser hang to your liking and you'll find it's easier to lay on an angle.

Above all...don't give up! It really can be the best sleep you've had in or out of the woods.

Miguel

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    The Hennessy, with it's structural ridgeline, is meant to be set-up tight.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    The Hennessy, with it's structural ridgeline, is meant to be set-up tight.
    Yeah....but isn't he talking about the amount of sag? I know the ridgeline has to be tight...setting the sag is a different issue. It sounds to me he doesn't have enough.....or am I missing something here.

Miguel

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    Yeah....but isn't he talking about the amount of sag? I know the ridgeline has to be tight...setting the sag is a different issue. It sounds to me he doesn't have enough.....or am I missing something here.

Miguel
    The tight Hennessy ridgeline sets the sag. Same every time.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    First off...the head end should be slightly lower than the feet end. Initially it seemed contrary to everything I believed in the past but it's true. If the head and most importantly, the upper bod attached to it, are higher, they will have a tendency to constantly slide toward the lowest spot in the hammock....ie. the center. The fix....lower the head end....and don't worry....all the blood won't rush to your head. Miguel
    That seems to be the case with most folks, including me. My first night of use last year, I was very careful to hang level as per instructions. I spent the night sliding down to the bottom. I have not had that problem since. I hang the foot a few inches higher than the head, and stay put. And comfy.

Although, at a little over 6ft, or for whatever reason, I have never been able to be really comfortable with side sleeping. It feels like I am just not quite flat enough, unless I am in complete fetal position. Or maybe if I my back is propped against the side of the hammock while still at max diagonal. Someday, I will experiment with a looser hang, but the ridge line may make that useless, and it definitely makes the bug net hard to deal with. As in, it's in my face, even if the sides are staked out tight.
    And forget about stomach sleeping, but I don't do that anyway. But in the end, even though I am a major side sleeper in my bed, I almost always just sleep on my back in the HH ( or Speer 8.5, in which I have the same problems ). But that is still far more comfortable than my best night on the ground with a thick pad, so I just put up with it. Maybe if the hammocks were a little longer, I could side sleep. Don't know.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-07-2007 at 16:39.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    The tight Hennessy ridgeline sets the sag. Same every time.
    seems i recently herd some of the hh users talking about some of the hh's ridge lines not being the right length the way they came, & they had to make adjustments in the length.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast