Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    seems i recently herd some of the hh users talking about some of the hh's ridge lines not being the right length the way they came, & they had to make adjustments in the length.
    That's a good idea. sometimes adding a couple of inches to the ridge line makes all the difference in the world.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    The tight Hennessy ridgeline sets the sag. Same every time.
    So what if you don't like the "factory" sag. Is there no way to adjust the sag to your liking. I always thought you could reattach the hammock anywhere you liked on the ridgeline and therefore set your own sag. If not....there's another reason I prefer my Claytor.

Miguel

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    A HH basically has a set sag defined by the ridge line. The only way to adjust the sag on a HH is to cut the ridge line to make it adjustable.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    A HH basically has a set sag defined by the ridge line. The only way to adjust the sag on a HH is to cut the ridge line to make it adjustable.
    Thanks for clearing that up. I think I prefer something more adjustable. Can you adjust the sag on homemade hammocks with ridgelines? I always thought you could.

Miguel

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Most DIY hammock (or mine at least) start out with an adjustable ridge line. Once I find that "sweet spot" I will fix my ridge line so that the sag is set permanently, just like a HH. I like knowing that no matter what site I chhose, distance between trees, or any other variable in setting up my hammock, that it will sleep the same as the last time I got in it.

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    you could make your ridge line adjustable, on a DIY or a hh.
    you could use a type of adjustable, sliding hitch (maybe someone else can more quickly give you a hitch name & link).
    or you could add a buckle, but it would need to be able to handle the stress.
    a ring buckle or a clinch buckle would work.
    several people here have cut there hh ridge line & added a mini biner. you could do the same but add a buckle for adjustment instead of the mini biner. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    no matter what, you will never be able to lay flat in an end gathered hammock. even my Mayan hammock, which is at least 8 feet wide, and allows me to lay completely crosswise, has a slight concave position no matter if i'm laying on the diagonal or completely perpendicular. it's just a chacteristic of that style of hammock.

that being said, as long as you don't lay in-line with the suspension axis, but lay to some degree of diagonal, your position should "flatten" enough so that you are properly supported. in my bed, i sleep on my side and stomach, but in the hammock my back is properly supported, and i can lay like that all night.

just figure out some different variations of sleeping on your back (different positions of arms and legs. and if you wanna sleep on your side, you are probably stuck with the fetal position. a bridge hammock is probably about the only thing you could really lay on your side in. others may dissagree.

it sounded like you just tested it in the yard. have you slept all night in it yet? if not, i'll bet you'll find your back feels great in the morning, and that you wake up less than when in bed, even though you may feel a little restricted before you fall asleep. the true test comes after you've been in the thing for 7 or8 hours. sometimes i find i don't want to get out.

someone suggested a factory flawed ridgeline, which it may be the case seeing as how that part of the process is probably done by hand, i'll bet that's the least consistent feature on the whole hammock. the website lists the correct ridgeline length. just ask them exactly where the measurements start and stop (might be several inches inside that binding cover) either way, shouldn't be too hard to figure out if yours is the correct length.

also, as has been discussed elsewhere, if the ridgeline is nylon, it may stretch if you pull real tight. this could cause the hammock to have not enough sag, and setting it up without pulling hard may give you more sag and a better lay.

hey franticfinger, you should call or email hh and ask em what material the ridge is made of. this topic seems to keep coming up. i know the old symmetric exped. had a nylon ridge.

Thanks for all your input! Just to answer a few questions, I am 6'2", I have slept in it all night (once), and I am not sure of the ridgeline material. I have to say that in the morning I didn't want to get out of the hammock, but I tossed and turned until after 1 am trying to get comfy, and then I woke up at 6 am with cold shoulders, so I was pretty tired. I am working on the insulation, and I'll experiment with sleeping positions. I'll try setting the foot end higher right away, but I am not sure I will try tying up any different as the idea I am getting is that the HH sets it's own sag. As far as ridge length goes, I'll see what I can get out of HH and report back. Maybe I'll mention the tie out problems too, as I think I am going have to go over all of them with a sewing machine to reinforce the stitching before I head into the back country. Though I am not sure the thread is the problem, but rather the nylon loop and border ripping away from the stitching. Any thoughts?

Hey headchange4u, I'm a big fan of Drive-By Truckers. I'm going to see them live for the first time in Minneapolis in October. Can't wait!

Images

cold in SS?

Do I understand that you have the HH SS but have been cold? At what temp this time of year?

Many don't care for the SS. But, a few of us here use the SS with some success, so keep working on it, since you have already bought it. I can use the SS into the high 30s lo 40s no problem. Add the space blanket and I can get a bit lower, at least lo to low 30s.. It is easy to augment with clothing or something called a Garlington insultor to get much lower, or of course, a pad. I've heard a Gossamer Gear 3/8" pad on top of the HH pad does wonders. I can tell you fom personal experience that a ridgerest pad in an SPE, which many folks say is good to about 37*, will easily take me to the teens added to the SS. Do a search here and on Whiteblaze for SS or Super Shelter and you'll find a lot of discussion. Though unfortunately, TeeDee's helpful contributions will no longer be there.

Or call TH for some tips on using the SS.

Make sure the HH OCF pad is positioned correctly and not compressed, and that you are staying diagonal on the pad. You should have the wide 35" pad. Also, If you don't have them, get the torso/kidney pads- they are a huge help.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-07-2007 at 19:55.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paddleguy View Post
    Hey headchange4u, I'm a big fan of Drive-By Truckers. I'm going to see them live for the first time in Minneapolis in October. Can't wait!
    Incredible live band. One of the founding members, Jason Isbell, released solo album I can't quit listening to.

Okay...sorry...back on topic

www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast