Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Ricketts Glenn, Pa

my son and i are going to Ricketts Glen http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...en.aspx#trails this weekend (4/10-11) has anyone been there before. i'm camping in pet row, but are there trees on the sites. they look like trailer sites in pics. person on phone didn't understand hammocks
    TY
    KK

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    my son and i are going to Ricketts Glen http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...en.aspx#trails this weekend (4/10-11) has anyone been there before. i'm camping in pet row, but are there trees on the sites. they look like trailer sites in pics. person on phone didn't understand hammocks
    TY
    KK
    Rickets Glen is noted in central PA for having the most obnoxious and unreasonable park rangers in the State Park system. They have been known to roust tenters in the middle of the night because one corner of the tent was on a grass patch. Avoid alcoholic beverages like the plague in Ricketts glen. The rangers will fine for it as it is prohibited in all state park campgrounds. I have no clue what the attitude about hammocks would be. I suspect it would depend largely on the rangwr involved and how many times he had a fight with his wife.

The trails and scenery are great. It is a waterfall lovers paradise. Have a good time. I'll probably be unpacking or out somewhere witht he family or I'd be tempted to join you.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Rickets Glen is noted in central PA for having the most obnoxious and unreasonable park rangers in the State Park system. They have been known to roust tenters in the middle of the night because one corner of the tent was on a grass patch. Avoid alcoholic beverages like the plague in Ricketts glen. The rangers will fine for it as it is prohibited in all state park campgrounds. I have no clue what the attitude about hammocks would be. I suspect it would depend largely on the rangwr involved and how many times he had a fight with his wife.

The trails and scenery are great. It is a waterfall lovers paradise. Have a good time. I'll probably be unpacking or out somewhere witht he family or I'd be tempted to join you.
    TY , BUT ARE THERE TREES ON SITES

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    TY , BUT ARE THERE TREES ON SITES
    I've never camped there. But many of the state parks require shelters (tents) to be positioned _on_ the tent pad of packed crushed limestone. So the uswe of a shelter _off_ the tent pad might be problematic. I really don't know. Frankly, there is state forest land nearby which iws where I would camp and make day trips to the park. No camping fee either.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Kayak, I want a trip report please. Me and my GF are heading their the last weekend in April. Ill be on the ground sadly enough bc she likes to cuddle. Ramblinrev thanks for the tips ill keep it in mind bout them rangers.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post

i'm probably going with Ricketts, but if anyone knows of a place to camp within 30 mi. that would be great. the dogs coming also.
    TY
    KK

Hammock
    various homemade Speer type
    Tarp
    10' X 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    CCfoam, Down quilt
    Suspension
    various
    Images
    Trees: depends on which campsite you get.
    I haven't camped there in many years.

The waterfall trail is often obscenely crowded on
    weekends, so you may want to start early to avoid
    the throng of day visitors.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    i'm probably going with Ricketts, but if anyone knows of a place to camp within 30 mi. that would be great. the dogs coming also.
    TY
    KK
    Most of my maps are packed up atm. But I'll see what I can dig up. As I say, state forest land is free to camp on. Permits may or may not be needed but they are easy to get. Often if you are just setting up for one night at a time you can get away without a permit on the forest land. But I offer no assurances that will work.

www.dcnr.state.pa.us will taqake you to the partaql where you can access the information on the parks and the porest land.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 04-05-2010 at 13:29.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    We've camped there several times, at spring and fall seasons. I've been in my hammock everytime. I met Miguel there IIRC on one of the camping trips. He was also hanging.

I can't say I've ever had any problems with the rangers either. They've always been more than helpful to us.

We stayed on the pet loop one time and the lake loop the other times. Trees everywhere, no problem there. The lake is fantastic for canoeing or kayaking. The Falls trail is always something we do.
    I'd say Ricketts Glen is still one of our favorite SP to go to. Large sites, clean restrooms/showers and never had any trouble hanging.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I'v never camped there but i heard from a few ppl that have that it's really nice....and the rangers were helpfull.

i'm hoping to get up there this summer
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast