HH , WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    the edge
    Insulation
    HG 40/0 phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies

kind of debating here?

Hey all, i about got my shopping list for brandon and the almost have the cash.. But im having a debate about which uq to order.. the hammock will be 1.1dbl BB .. options
    1 3season yeti 30 deg rated.. use all year..it gets pretty hot here in the summer. or
    or i could even go with the deluxe.
    2 use a pad in summer and buy a winter yeti for well thats obvious

i was wanting to try to get away from useing a pad with this setup ..another thought would a full pad and a 3 season work well for winter also? just some thoughts...

heres the list im thinking
    wbb 1.1 dbl
    uq? not sure what one..
    tarp either the edge or big mama..both sil ..

ive posted this before and have gooten great respose form everyone. i just dont wanna say **** i should have gotten thisor that instead..
    thx all

If you are trying to get a winter set-up and a summer set-up all in one that will be tough to do, if you go with the winter yeti and winter TQ or SB you might sweat to death in the summer, you can vent alot in warmer weather but that might be pushing it some! You didn't mention anything about a TQ or sleeping bag? A smaller tarp like the edge would work well if you don't expect bad weather or really cold temps, but from seeing what others are taking out in winter this tarp most likely will not cut it, you will want something bigger like the Bigmambajamba with doors or something of the like you can use one tarp all year like the mambajamba, SWT, MC Deluxe and many others, but for winter you would want to have a way to close off the ends. Clothing also plays a big part in your set-up, but for summer depending on the lows for your area you might not need under insulation, all depending on what type of sleeper you are. The yeti deluxe I do not know anything about but I am sure it won't be too long before someone who has more experience than I will chime in, I have a Crowsnest and a torso length GG 1/4 pad along with my TQ I can get to 30* but I don't do any winter hanging. If you haven't done so you might want to check out Shug's video series for newbs, it's got alot of helpful info and he goes out in temp's that make me cold just watching it from in the house. There are alot of really good threads on insulation and tarps that you could check out! Good luck on your decision!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    IMO, the most effective way for you to make a 4 season set out of that would be a 3-season yeti and a full-length pad in winter, then drop to a leg pad in spring and fall, and possibly no pad in summer.

That assumes you're comfortable sleeping on a pad.

You could buy a winter yet and vent it in summer, but it's a lot of extra weight and, even venting, I wouldn't want to use a 0F anything in summer.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    get the tarp in spinnUL....even if you have to wait a bit...a superior fabric for us wilders. others may disagree, just my opinion after having dealt with cuben,sil,and spinn.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Re: the tarp, depends on what you mean by "cut it." Different folks have different ideas about what's minimal, acceptable and plush in different conditions. I've had the MacCat Standard w/o doors thru lots of bad weather, and it's worked out fine all but once...and that storm broke a few tents on that trip as well. (The only reason it didn't work is b/c dry snow was floating up from under the tarp and settling on my insulation...after that I made the hammock sock and it's all good.)

So smaller tarps can cut it, depending on what you're comfortable with. I also have the JRB 11x10 for winter trips. It's great to have the extra windblock and all...but not necessary for a safe trip.

I think my next tarp purchase will be one of the new MacCat Deluxes w/ doors or a Warbonnet BMJ if I can get the doors permanently attached. In Spinn, if I don't have a cuben one by then...haven't decided if I want to go w/ cuben yet.

Lots of ways to attack this problem. The good news is that, since this is all quality gear, it has pretty good resale value if you change your mind.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    To avoid using a pad in winter, you need to use a backpack or a full length underquilt.

Hammock
    HH , WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    the edge
    Insulation
    HG 40/0 phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    i really dont do alot of real cold hangs and do have a dyi winter tarp i made this past year. it has closable doors.. as far as pads go ive been useing them for a while as i havent had a down uq yet .so this will be the first.ill be useing a down bag the north face beeline 30 or the the rei radiant 15 .i sleep a bit warm .the coldest ive hung was 17degs. this past winter .in my 0deg heavy load bag lol ..but it was ok..
    thanks all for the help and advice.. i think will go with the 3season uq and the the tarp as stated as i do have a decent winter tarp already.. thanks again

Hammock
    HH , WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    the edge
    Insulation
    HG 40/0 phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    accually i ended up ordering a crowsnest..
    thanks all

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl layer.
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Crowsnest & Burrow
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Good choice ! ... I bet you will be happy mate ... !
    Questtrek
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks". John Muir.

If you don't want to use the pad, why order a double? Isn't that the only advantage to it over a single?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast