I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My thoughts are that you are over insulated.........
    Try less on your feet .... and a different foot pad and go from there.
    You'll find the magic formula eventually. At least you get to try this stuff out in a hammock!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Wow... lots of suggestions...

Yes, I wore a wool beanie... I definitely wasn't overly warm, (I sleep cold anyway... Most nights I have a 5'-10" space heater to snuggle up to, she's quite hot.

I don't think I was over insulated, and my socks were dry, but I'll give it a go. I wasn't sweaty at all as I was falling asleep. (I really get cold feet bad lately... hmm... poor circulation is a sign of diabetes... probably time for a checkup since I haven't seen my doc in a few years anyway...) I fiddled with the hang on the UQ, it's still not as warm as I would have expected, considering some sleep into the 30's with it, but maybe I'm being optimistic...

-I've been thinking that my 9' hammock is a bit short, yes I'm 5'11". 11' is my next hammock project. Darn, I missed Ed Speer's winter sale...

-I'll pull out the ccf pad and give it a go. I've avoided pads since my first attempt as I found it uncomfortable. I'll figure a way to clip it to the hammock. (Btw, I sleep feet left...)

--r

-Chemical warmers: not a bad idea. I found the WW ones are cheap, but aren't always well sealed...

-Hot water bottle: at 45 degrees? really? I think I shouldn't need one.

-Harpo63: re: Underquilt: I'm beginning to wonder if I should have bought a full-length quilt. My Lost river has seen the backyard a number of times, and been put in the stuff sack only once. (I really wish I had more camping time) Care to trade?

-I have some insultex on the way. I was thinking of making a quilt extender for my feet. Or, since climashield is cheap, maybe making a UQ. Thoughts?

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Definitely try changing the type of pad under your feet, and give a shot to LESS sock/slipper type coverage. Like Shug says, eventually you'll hit upon the magic combo that works for you!
    Those hand/foot warmer things are great, but I find unless the weather is REALLY cold, they just overheat my feet and cause allot of sweating. That said, they may work for you... give 'em a shot and see.
    Best of luck in your quest!
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images

Double edged sword of foot end hight...

Try a flatter laying hammock... When your feet are up hill there is less circulation...

That said,clean socks, down booties or sleeves worn on the feet are a major help also...

Alternatively, if you are sliding to the footend you are most likey smashing the available TQ foot loft flat....

First and third points are a real double edge sword...hang foot end to high= reduced blood flow....hang foot end too low, slide to the end and smash insulation to ineffectiveness...get it right = be warm and happy...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Castaway
    Tarp
    Equinox sil tarp
    Insulation
    down sleeping bags
    Suspension
    rigid SLS + whoopy
    John
    If I understand right you used an underquilt as a top cover and some thin insulation under your feet and socks.

1) Increase the insulation under your feet with a foam pad.
    2) If the blood getting to your legs isn't warm (cold legs), your feet can't get warm.
    3) If the hammock compresses the insulation around your feet, they won't get warm.
    4) too thick of socks may keep your feet from keeping each other warm.
    5) I mostly never wear socks in a sleeping bag and I never get cold feet.

An observation. I sleep in sleeping bags, and they have a "footsack" designed for toes to stick up with out pushing into the insulation. Just maybe a quilt doesn't surround your feet with insulation the way a sleeping bag does. Have you tried using a sleeping bag over you as a quilt with your feet in a proper foot sack?

Jim S

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Are your socks too tight?

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    Make sure the foot box totally closes at the end when you snug up the draw cords. Every movement you make during the night will act as a bellows sucking cold air in, pushing cold air out thru any opening at the foot box end. Even a very small opening will cause chilled feet. Use some spare clothing (I fold a spare sock) and stuff it in the opening before pulling the cords tight to seal it.
    I THOUGHT GETTING OLDER WOULD TAKE MUCH LONGER.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post

-Harpo63: re: Underquilt: I'm beginning to wonder if I should have bought a full-length quilt. My Lost river has seen the backyard a number of times, and been put in the stuff sack only once. (I really wish I had more camping time) Care to trade?
    Sorry, I like it for the colder temps. I have the IX added to that quilt. But would like to add a shorter one without IX to our collection since my wife seemed to get hooked and I need to buy more....

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Long
    Tarp
    HH stock (diamond)
    Insulation
    Incubator+Renegade
    Suspension
    huggers & whoopies

Reflectix location

You may want to try moving the Reflectix out of the sleeping bag. It is my understanding that you need a little bit of "air space" between you and the reflective barrier for it to work properly. If it is in direct contact with your skin, there is no air space and it will actually conduct heat AWAY from your body. I use the reflective pad between the layer of my HH Deep Jungle and then get in my sleeping bag. With a 0 degree bag, this has kept me warm down to 15 degrees with nothing else.

Not that it helps in the immediate sense (or any sense what-so-ever)... and is purely anecdotal....

I used to get cold feet all the time. It could be 90 degrees outside and i'd still wake up with my feet cold.

Once I started walking and running barefoot and my feet got stronger, no more cold feet! In fact when winter was ending here even when there was still slush on the ground I was going out for 1 mile runs in the afternoon tromping through the slush and snow barefoot with only a slight twinge of "cold!" got a few wierd looks and people gave me a wide berth LMAO.

And even if you do lots of walking and hiking your feet can be even weaker than someone who barely does any exercise because of all the arch and ankle support your hiking gear has....

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast