Hammock
    JRB Bridge and WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Gossamer Gear 1/4"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings!

JRB Bridge with Bleemus zipper mod photos....

As promised I took some photos. This zipper mod has really increased my enjoyment of this hammock. The quality of the work is fantastic and I think the work will outlast me it is that robust.

Here is the end of the hammock with the Amsteel spreader bar lines and the 2QZQ zipper mod opened up.

Here is a full length shot with the amazing Western Mountaineering Summerlite bag. Using only a 1/4 GG Thinlite pad in the pad pocket I got down to 40 deg. last night toasty warm. Yes, I cheated and that is a pillow from my bed. Have to find a UL solution as these hammocks crave pillows!

Here is a closeup of the pad in the pocket. At 5 ounces this may be the world's lightest UQ.

Whoopie sling mod with AHE tree huggers and UL toggle...

Toggle close-up....

Close up of Zipper Mod at corner. They brilliantly added a small sash of netting to stuff into the hole between zippers. No bugs = happy Bleemus.

Some might worry that the zipper mod interferes with using hammock as a camp chair. Here is photo proof that it still works as a fantastic outdoor recliner!

If anyone has any questions fire away!
    Last edited by Bleemus; 04-04-2010 at 11:49.
    Bleemus

Yes, I sleep in a hammock. Please pass the Grey Poupon.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    1. zippers on two sides. Permanently sewed on the foot end. What about the fourth side?
    2. How much additional weight did the zippers add?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    1. zippers on two sides. Permanently sewed on the foot end. What about the fourth side?
    To expand on that question - Zippers on two sides. Is there Velcro on the other two sides so the net can be completely removed?

With all this recent bridge talk, your BMBH and the Grizz Bridge, I think I'll have to dig out my DIY bridge and see if I can finally finish it.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Mamajamba SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Gossamer Gear 1/4"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings!
    Regarding zippers. I had zippers installed on left side and head end. Other two sides were sewn on permanently. Yes, I pay a four ounce penalty if I use it in the winter since I can't remove the net completely but for me this is **** near perfect. Here in Vermont we have bugs from the time the snow melts till it starts to fly again.

As for weight you would be surprised. Actually was an ounce lighter after removing all that Omni-Tape and going to two sided zipper. Net zero on weight but net a million on usability.

Regarding some sort of tie loop for pulling the netting up I am not sure it is needed but I am not a claustrophobic type. What takes a Bridge from a good hammock to a great hammock is a pillow as many have documented. It can be a stuff sack full of extra clothing or even a pillow case if you don't mind the grams. With a decent sized pillow propped up behind your head and you slide up to the head end your head is elevated so perfectly for reading in the hammock which I enjoy a great deal. You could add a loop at the bugnet ridgeline about a foot from the head end to attach a small shock cord to to pull the netting up to give you that ballroom feeling for those that want it but I can do without. The issue I see with this is where do you anchor that shockcord? The angle under the tarp would be quite severe except those using a full length tarpline underneath the tarp ( could be a good reason to go that way for Bridge users!) would have something to go straight up to easily. Hope that makes sense. Since my new tarp won't be here till midweek I won't get a chance to test something out till then.

Laying in the hammock last night without a tarp a full length tarpline benefit became apparent. Having a line with a 1600 lb. breaking strength just above you lets you sleep easier if you suspect a widow maker!

There is plenty of room for me for reading and sitting up. Some may be more claustrophobic and desire some sort of lifting of the netting near the head. I will test this out and let you know. Personally don't see a need for the weight but what the hell. I will give it a try.

So, you want to lay flat......

Bleemus

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Thanks Bleemus for the thumbs up on this mod. It sounds like your expectations have been met with this zipper mod. Have a great spring!

ZQ and I haven't officially added the BMBH "Bleemus" zipper mod to our line up on the website but will soon. PM me if interested until our site is updated.
    2Q
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    JRB has made the netting longer than the hammock, although I dont remember why. When attaching the netting to the hammock there would be a few places I have to double the netting over on itself. How does 2Q &ZQ compensate for this?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Mamajamba SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Gossamer Gear 1/4"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings!
    JRB has made the netting longer than the hammock, although I dont remember why. When attaching the netting to the hammock there would be a few places I have to double the netting over on itself. How does 2Q &ZQ compensate for this?
    I may be confused but the netting installed by JRB is wider than the hammock but not longer. The added width allows you to sit up in the hammock, read a good book among other things. It is grams, not ounces.
    Bleemus

Hammock
    Tarp
    Mamajamba SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Gossamer Gear 1/4"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    Thanks Bleemus for the thumbs up on this mod. It sounds like your expectations have been met with this zipper mod. Have a great spring!

ZQ and I haven't officially added the BMBH "Bleemus" zipper mod to our line up on the website but will soon. PM me if interested until our site is updated.
    2Q
    2QZQ,
    Thank you so much for the work you did on my hammock. Without a doubt you turned a "maybe" into a "definate" for my upcoming thru hike. Your craftmanship and attention to my needs far execeeded my expectations. All the best!

Cheers
    Bleemus

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Actually, the netting extends several inches more than required to cover the cat cut sides. For the most part, the center line length is the same as the hammock. Therefore, we just "gathered" up the excess netting over a 3 foot expanse, thus the nice shelf/storage area created.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
    I may be confused but the netting installed by JRB is wider than the hammock but not longer. The added width allows you to sit up in the hammock, read a good book among other things. It is grams, not ounces.
    That's right, I got it backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    Actually, the netting extends several inches more than required to cover the cat cut sides. For the most part, the center line length is the same as the hammock. Therefore, we just "gathered" up the excess netting over a 3 foot expanse, thus the nice shelf/storage area created.
    Sounds good. Very creative solution.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast