DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks

Bugnet size

If this is better located in the DIY forum, I can have it moved. But since this is the forum labeled bugnets, I started here.

I'm kicking around a few designs for a DIY bugnet. Not sure yet if I'm going to make something that seals like a tube, or just something that drapes. But I have a question about size/dimensions.

Assuming that the net is going to be supported on top by my fixed structural ridgeline, how much clearance do I need to accommodate the sag of a occupied hammock, plus underquilt of some sort? I'm looking for it to be loose enough to not compress anything or be tight against the bottom of the hammock, but not just make it long enough that it hangs to the ground. I'm sure it can be variable, based on my hammock size, amount of sag, how much I weigh, etc. But is there a rough guideline to start from?

For example, the main piece of my net is a piece of noseeum that's 55 inches wide, draped over the ridgeline. That means it'll hang roughly 26" on either side of the ridgeline when hemmed. With my hammock hung up, with no load, the net hangs around 6 inches below where my hammock bottom does. If I just closed that off, I'm guessing that when the hammock is occupied, between both horizontal expansion and the hammock hanging lower, that would be way too snug. But I'm not sure whether I need to add 6" to each end of the net, or a foot, or two feet ... The easy way would be to have someone get in the hammock and then measure - but that's not an easy option due to lack of a guinea pig. Any suggestions?

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    SO:
    I have a suggesstion that I read about on here one time concerning bugnets. Place a washer at two of the corners of the bugnet. Place to small earth magnets in the opposite corners. When the bugnet drapes over the attraction should take over. Then you have a semi-closed bugnet that does not crush the insulation. I hope this helps!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Karo Top Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    The magnet Idea is good and it is worth looking into.

I would recommend setting up your hammock. then pinning the noseeum to some fabric or sewing it temporarily like 1 stitch per foot. Put that over your hammock and see how that works and make adjustments accordingly.

I am working on an plan that i got from another post about the bugnet. Its a hammock sock with one part bugnet one part ripstop cover. In the end it will have a bit of multi purpose bugnet during the summer and ripstop cover during the spring and fall. Also it would add a storage area under the hammock where u could put an under quilt.

• + New Posts