WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Is there a way to keep folks from deleting posts, for instance once they are a month or so old, or have X number of replies? Seems a common way to show one's displeasure when leaving (over what?) is to trash the place. Kindof an "I'm going home and I'm taking my ball with me" attitude. It might work best to make sure that's not an option.

I also really valued TeeDee's contributions and am sorry that it reached the point where he felt he had to leave. I'm angry that he deleted his posts. Why punish us "common" folk if you're mad at a moderator? Work it out with the site owner or something.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Is there a way to keep folks from deleting posts, for instance once they are a month or so old, or have X number of replies? Seems a common way to show one's displeasure when leaving (over what?) is to trash the place. Kindof an "I'm going home and I'm taking my ball with me" attitude. It might work best to make sure that's not an option.

I also really valued TeeDee's contributions and am sorry that it reached the point where he felt he had to leave. I'm angry that he deleted his posts. Why punish us "common" folk if you're mad at a moderator? Work it out with the site owner or something.
    Very nice suggestions! Can this be done?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by toddhiker View Post
    Can this be done?
    I suggested that very thing to slowhike yesterday. Perhaps either JustJeff or attroll can dig around in the vBulletin forum software options and see about it.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    attrol & jeff been taking care of other responsibility's in the last few days, but attrol is aware of this now & is looking at & discussing ways to deal w/ that kind of thing.

as far as the moderator thing goes, i wasn't really making my response to teedee any different (i don't believe) because i've been asked to serve as a moderator than if i had not.
    a mod, no doubt, needs to be thoughtful in the way he deals w/ situations, but i hopefully was trying to do that even before mod.
    as i've looked back at the posts, i'm not sure that i see any thing that i should have done differently.

possibly i did misunderstand the early-er post from teedee that i included in my 1st response to teedee (message # 376 in the bridge hammock thread) as grizz pointed out, but if so, maybe teedee could have been a little more strait forward in what he was trying to say. but i guess that would defeat the purpose. but other wise, i still see it as i stated there.

i hope too many people won't look at me in a negative light now because of this thing w/ teedee.
    we all have a right to our own opinion. it's just how & when we choose to share those differences that makes all the difference.

as far as deleting messages, no matter how ticked i may get (& hopefully i'll never get all that ticked anyway<g>) i wouldn't even consider deleting messages.
    if i've said something or made a contribution, i'm not going to erase it... maybe just try to correct it if i'm wrong<g>. ..tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Hennessy Scout
    Suspension
    Straps and a knot
    I (like many others) wasn't following the bridge hammock thread so I don't know what was said, but my short time here has led me to believe that no one on this board would intentionally attack another. It is possible, SlowHike, that TeeDee was for some reason predisposed to strong negative emotions when reading that because of something going on at work or something. It may not be your fault.

That being said, in the short time I have been here I have found TeeDee's posts to be quite useful and I'm sorry that all those posts are gone and that there will be no more.

I agree that after a point posts should be undeletable. You also need to make them uneditable at the same time or they could all be turned into blank posts.

Out of curiosity, how on God's (or whatever deity you prefer) green Earth did TeeDee manage to delete all of those posts so quickly?!?
    “We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    TeeDee had some strong opinions (like the rest of us) and I didn't always agree with them, but I certainly will miss him and his contributions. The Bridge Hammock had a real cult following (myself included) and I'm sad to see it dwindle away....for now.

Plus, who is the Grizz going to geek out with now?

Hammock
    Hennessy Scout
    Suspension
    Straps and a knot
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I suppose the rest of us are going to have to brush up on our Trig, Calc, and Physics.
    “We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JackRabbit View Post
    Out of curiosity, how on God's (or whatever deity you prefer) green Earth did TeeDee manage to delete all of those posts so quickly?!?
    Although he may have been rather extreme on the "opinionated" scale , it must be admitted that TeeDee is quite a smart fellow in many ways. So he had no trouble figuring out how to automate such a feat. Either that, or he was just so upset over whatever was said, that he stayed up all night or however long it took to get the job done. I wish he had not become so upset and had just agreed to disagree and stuck around with his strong opinions. I can't make any judgment about what went on, since his posts are gone. When I look at Tim's posts, they don't make a lot of sense to me, because I don't have the posts from TeeDee to which Tim was responding. Also, I'm not quite sure which part of those posts are Tim's response and which might be a quote from TeeDee to which Tim is responding.

I must admit that I remember some posts to others that TeeDee was "debating" with, when TeeDee seemed to get quite, shall we say, "irritated" with the person he was disagreeing with. ( If you read this TeeDee, please, no offense intended!) And I remember thinking a couple of times "Hey, where is all of this heat coming from, it seems inappropriate or overdone". Of course, it could be I was just misreading TeeDee's style of joking or manner of ragging on buddies. That's always the tough part about forum communication, I have found. You can't hear tone of voice or see facial expression. Sometimes things that would be laughed off among buddies if face to face, or just followed with an equal insult back at you and the horse you rode in on, and then forgotten about as just a normal amount of ball busting, takes on considerable more seriousness viewed online. When coming from a relative stranger.

Whatever, having said all of that BS, TeeDee was always very helpful to me, both on the public forum and thru private message. And I wish he had just blown the perceived insult off ( and maybe thought "well, I've said about the same to others from time to time"), cooled off and stuck around with his opinions and wonderful testing and design ideas. And I get the feeling Tim feels more or less the same.
    Bill
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-10-2007 at 10:26.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Maybe BlackBishop will start posting again. I know that he's had a lot going on and hasn't had time to be online a lot recently, but one of the reasons he stopped posting in the first place was because of TeeDee constantly contradicting what he said.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    So he had no trouble figuring out how to automate such a feat. Either that, or he was just so upset over whatever was said, that he stayed up all night or however long it took to get the job done.
    I thought about that, and I can think of several different ways to go about doing that relatively easily/quickly. I won't post how, though. It shouldn't be done.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

TeeDee's gone but the Bridge ain't dead

TeeDee had some strong opinions (like the rest of us) and I didn't always agree with them, but I certainly will miss him and his contributions. The Bridge Hammock had a real cult following (myself included) and I'm sad to see it dwindle away....for now.

I am (and I suppose Scott is also) working still on our prototypes. Stay tuned.

And since I can tell you all are pining away missing those greek symbols, I've got a bit of analysis on the back burner that I'll share soon.

Grizz
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 08-10-2007 at 10:32. Reason: make it look like I speak English

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast