Hammock
    DIY
    Suspension
    Marlin spike hitch

Can I hang in this room?

Help me out here guys!

My bedroom has high, vaulted ceilings and I'm trying to figure out how to hang without resorting to hammock stands.

If I'm going to hang directly from the walls, I'd like to tie into the header board at the top of the wall. However, that is 9.5 feet from the floor and the room is only 13 feet wide. That seems really narrow and tall to me, but would it work with laying diagonally in the hammock?

Just looking for some ideas on if it is feasible to hang in this room w/o going to a stand.

Thanks!

Mike

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    get yourself a stud finder and put a hefty piece of hardware into a stud... keep in mind i've not done this but i've installed more studs than i would like and torn apart a fair number, i think it'll take the abuse. if you have the option try to get each end at a strong point in the wall; door frames, window frames, and corner studs. these are usually over built with multiple studs right next to each other

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    +1 on what kallorn said about corner stud. I'am a builder and have my BB hanging from 1/4" eye bolts sunk into a corner stud and a double wall stud by an opening. I'm 200# and its fine. Walls can take allot more weight than most folks think. Pre-drill your holes so that you don't split the studs when drivin the eye bolts home.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    DIY "WARBIRD"
    Tarp
    OES STD,WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Golite TQ/leigh UQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES
    Try putting a cleat made from 2x6 or 2x8 horizontally across as many studs as you could (3 or 4)to tie them together for strength, then attach your eye bolts in the middle of the cleat. you could paint this your wall color to pretty it up. you could even make them look like a shelves .This could be easily removed with minimal damage.

Hammock
    DIY
    Suspension
    Marlin spike hitch
    myles to go,

Your suggestion "you could even make them look like a shelves" is a bit of genius! I've been trying to figure out how to make this whole thing "appealing" to my better half and she's been asking for shelves in the bedroom already. This solves both problems at once!

Okay, one more question if y'all will humor me.... what height should I hang from in a room that is 13.5' wide? I'll be starting with a Mayan hammock, but will eventually move to a Brazilian style as the weather cools next fall.

I'll let everyone know how it goes over the next few weeks.

Thanks!

Mike

Hammock
    DIY "WARBIRD"
    Tarp
    OES STD,WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Golite TQ/leigh UQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES
    Quote Originally Posted by PropellerHead View Post
    myles to go,

Your suggestion "you could even make them look like a shelves" is a bit of genius! I've been trying to figure out how to make this whole thing "appealing" to my better half and she's been asking for shelves in the bedroom already. This solves both problems at once!

Okay, one more question if y'all will humor me.... what height should I hang from in a room that is 13.5' wide? I'll be starting with a Mayan hammock, but will eventually move to a Brazilian style as the weather cools next fall.

I'll let everyone know how it goes over the next few weeks.

Thanks!

Mike
    Thanks. now if I could just convince my wife i'm a genius. As far as the height to put the "shelves" I would draw your room to scale on paper showing the optimum 30° suspention angle , length of your hammock, height from floor , these factors would get you close before making holes in the walls.
    Edit: Ask you wife how high she wants her "NEW SHELVES" and then you hang from that height.

manwithwife.
    Last edited by myles to go; 04-05-2010 at 11:12.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Have your wife help hold one end, and you hold the other, set the hammock to your preferred height, sag, and measure.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

• + New Posts