Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Images
    hey guys, have you checked out the fig. nine thread or the ring buckle thread lately? i figured out you could use the fig nine as a quickly adjustable suspension for rope. my setup is just like described above, with the nine attached to the webbing instead of rings to webbing. i like it because of the use of much lighter line replacing just over half the webbing, which makes quite a weight savings, and line is much less bulky as well.

it seems your setup may be as fast as the webbing/rings, but with less weight.
    with mine, you have to wrap the fig nine, which takes just a second longer, i was however able to reduce the weight of 2 fig. nines to 1.25 oz.(with a hacksaw and file), which is 3/4 oz lighter than your required 4 rings. which isn't really all that much weight. i think 2 un-cut nines would be just a few grams heavier than 4 rings. either way, its the exact same setup just with different hardware. i wonder if everyone will be switching back to straps and line now?

slowhike is right about not forgetting your straps on the tree though, been there done that.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 08-26-2007 at 15:05.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    yeah, its just like the ring buckles + webbing, the wrap is even the same i think. wonder why no one figured it would work with rope as well.

it should be considerably lighter. 15' of webbing is alot heavier than a 7' tree strap and 8' of spectra line. (same total length)
    I have been using this on my hiking setup to save weight and it is working well. The wrap for rope is different and I use a couple half hitches for safety. I did not sew the rings into the tree hugger. You can loop one end of the tree hugger around the rings and this helps tighten the rings more than you could when sewing.

Keep the reports coming on the fig 9's. I may try this on the next one.

Images
    your right, it is different.

you say you use two half hitches? has the main hitch slipped without them?

as far as the nines go, i'm done testing. they seem to work fine. i can think of nothing else to do. i even took a nap for awhile yesterday. i would say try them first, and if you like them, cut off some weight. i would file down the teeth some immediatly though to protect your line.

they only cost 3$ each @ home depot

Quote Originally Posted by HANGnOUT View Post
    I have been using this on my hiking setup to save weight and it is working well. The wrap for rope is different and I use a couple half hitches for safety. I did not sew the rings into the tree hugger. You can loop one end of the tree hugger around the rings and this helps tighten the rings more than you could when sewing.

Keep the reports coming on the fig 9's. I may try this on the next one.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    you say you use two half hitches? has the main hitch slipped without them?
    No, just insurance, one half hitch would probably be just fine. I had my rings and webbing slip once, so I put the stopper knot in both systems now.

Images
    well, when you pointed out the difference between the two hitches, i looked closely, and the garda hitch looks like it pinches the slack alot harder than the "buckle hitch?" would, the reason the buckle hitch is used instead for webbing must just be bescuse you can't tie the garda with webbing.

it does look like it pinches the rope alot harder though, i'm gonna see if i can get it to slip. i'll have to use biners though cause i got no rings. i'll use ovals though.

Images
    well i just ran over to home depot and got some steel rings.

seems like the stopper knot is probably necessary.

it seemed like the line, which is uncovered and thus a bit slick, would slip just a bit as the hitch tightened upon weighting it, and if it didn't set just perfect in the rings, it wouldn't work at all. probably actually works best with non-oval biners with a small notch, that way it's all wrapped on top of itself rather than spreading out on the rings. the large diameter of a climbing rope in biners like the ones shown, causes the hitch wrap on top of itself, which is when it holds the best.

cool hitch, i bet it works good like a one way pulley for hauling the pig. kinda like a gri gri or a tibloc.

tried the "buckle hitch" with line too, doesn't work at all.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Yeah, I covered my spectra line with paracord cover. I think it helps the line grip better in the rings. I just have to listen to everyone tell me I am crazy for using "paracord" to hang with. The stopper knot is no big deal and comes loose easily.

Last edited by hangnout; 08-26-2007 at 19:38.

Images
    looks good

Quote Originally Posted by HANGnOUT View Post
    Yeah, I covered my spectra line with paracord cover. I think it helps the line grip better in the rings. I just have to listen to everyone tell me I am crazy for using "paracord" to hang with. The stopper knot is no big deal and comes loose easily.

Hammock
    Homemade, gathered-end
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkjeep View Post
    i Made tree straps exactly like those, out of nylon tubular webbing rated for 4000+ lbs.

the sewn loops didnt hold, well, not all of them have held.

I gave up using them, when a loop snapped, it was SCARY.

I sewed a 1.5 inch long 'X' shape, and boxed it, usiing a zig zag stitch, and non cotton thread.

IM not sure how I could have made it much stronger?
    Length of stitch matters a lot. A 1 mm stitch length can severely weaken your webbing, while a 1.5-2 mm stitch length would affect it quite a bit less. I use a zigzag a good bit with a 2 X 2 stitch size, and I have never had a problem with anything giving out at the stitched area, IIRC.

Images
    I spent a long time away from the site and see that HANGnOUT found what I ultimately chose to do. That is to skip making a new strap. I decided to pick up some strong 5mm accessory cord at REI since the loops on my stock Hennessy straps aren't large enough for the rings to slip through. I attached the rings with a girth hitch and then I used an alpine butterfly knot to create a loop in the line where it worked best. I've hung three nights this way and love the ease of pulling the line tight with the garda hitch.

But then I realized that using a line at all should only be needed with trees really far apart. Next time I'm simply use the Hennessy straps to girth hitch the rings and run the garda hitch through to the rings.

Hanging using two rings and the garda hitch.

Next time I'm going without the extra rope.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast