Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

tarp pull outs

headchange asked for pictures of the pull out tabs on my tarp a while back. sorry it took so long
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P7080037.JPG
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P7080039.JPG
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P7080043.JPG
    for any one interested, i really like this feature on my tarps.
    the idea came from a ray way tarp. he instructed using round reinforcement tabs & i did, but my seamstress friend that helped me w/ the tarp said that was one of the parts of sewing the tarp she dis-liked most... having to rotate the tarp in a complete circle to sew the patches on.

so on my second tarp i used rectangles. much easier to sew on, but i believe the force was probably more evenly distributed on the circles. i have begun to see failure in the rectangles. but in all fairness i probably have pulled them tighter than necessary a few times. plus they been a pretty strong wind at least one night.

but never the less, i have a plan to do the pullouts on the next tarp a little different.
    i'm going to put an extra seam (folded & sewn) on each side where the attachment points will be added. that should be pretty close to bomb proof.
    i've noticed from this last tarp that i will also put the pull outs several inches further apart & several inches lower.
    if any one's interested at some point, i can give some measurements.

NOTE... in fair weather i often hang the tarp so high & near flat, that i may not even use the pull outs... or maybe just on one side. but when the tarp needs to be pinched lower or steeper, the pull outs really open it up on the inside. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Thanks for the pics Tim. I really want to add the pull outs to my tarp to give me that extra room getting in and out and lounging under my tarp without brushing up against it. I will take some pics of the round pull tabs on my Cloudburst2 tarp tent. I would like to find some of them for sale somewhere. They are really nice and would hold up very well for this application.

Tim,

Do you think that using shock cord for the tie out guy line would help to reduce the stress on the sewn on patches? It looks like you are using standard Guy line.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Here's a couple of shots of the tie outs on my tarp tent. They are really nice. If anyone knows where I can get something like this please let me know.

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

www.meancatcoffee.com

call or email Henry and ask him

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    .. I would like to find some of them for sale somewhere. They are really nice and would hold up very well for this application.

Tim,

Do you think that using shock cord for the tie out guy line would help to reduce the stress on the sewn on patches? It looks like you are using standard Guy line.
    headchange...i'm surprised at you you don't need to buy those things... you're a DIYer, remember

and yes, a loop of shock cord at each of the attachment points would add a lot of forgiveness.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Thanks for the pics Tim. I really want to add the pull outs to my tarp to give me that extra room getting in and out and lounging under my tarp without brushing up against it.
    and that's another good point... about not having to brush up against the tarp.
    anyone who's spent much time out woods (in the south east U.S. anyway) knows about those times when every thing exposed to the air, including the inside of the tarp, is soaking wet from condensation.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    headchange...i'm surprised at you you don't need to buy those things... you're a DIYer, remember

and yes, a loop of shock cord at each of the attachment points would add a lot of forgiveness.
    I could make something similar for sure, but those things are really sturdy and have a sorts "rubbery" coating on them. I guess I could go ahead and get a yard of the Spectra or Kevlar reinforced ripstop and use that.

It's hard to tell from your pic but it looks like the reinforcement patch is sewn on the outside of your tarp. Is there nothing on the backside of the tarp for reinforcement? I think when I add them to my tarp I will put reinforcement patched on the front and back of the tarp, with the silnylon sandwiched in between.

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    Does anyone here use the grip clips? I'm thinking that even when I make my tarp I'll just use those. I am thinking the small ones, but I picked up some of the larger ones at REI. They attach without punching through the tarp. I am thinking of using them to side tie-outs on my hammock, too.

Seems too simple of a solution to have been overlooked by you folks.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    headchange, i don't think it really takes that much of a bomb proof material for the patch.
    i've never seen any sign of problems on the patch it's self. it's the stitching around the edge pulling on the silnylon that shows a problem, putting stress on the silnylon.
    but i used the first one (round patch on the ray way) for well over a year w/ no prob.
    the round circle probably distributes the force better. but the additional patch on back might help even more.
    remember also, i noticed myself at times on this newest tarp pulling & stretching harder than i probably needed to.

i'm still convinced that the additional folded seam on each side will be my next method of attachment. after you sew those circles (especially one on each side of the silnylon) you may decide the same
    i need to be sure i choose the right height to run the seam. if i decide for some reason to change the side to side spacing later, i could do so w/ no prob.

shadowmoss, i have some of the griff clips & they work great in certain applications... like securing a corner if the loop pulls out. but they cause a lot of bunching, so i don't think they would be great for this use. but if you decide to give them a try, let us know one way or the other<g>.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmoss View Post
    Does anyone here use the grip clips? I'm thinking that even when I make my tarp I'll just use those. I am thinking the small ones, but I picked up some of the larger ones at REI. They attach without punching through the tarp. I am thinking of using them to side tie-outs on my hammock, too.

Seems too simple of a solution to have been overlooked by you folks.
    Yeah - I've got some of those real small ones.

As long as you aren't pulling parallel top the tarp on 1.1 oz silnyl they would work good. Should work well on side pull outs where you are pulling mostly out from the tarp.

Put 4 where you want them, tie to the loop on the Grip Clip and you have side pullouts. Wouldn't have to be worried about any stitching weakening the fabric.

If you are pulling parallel to the tarp, they slide real easy on silnyl and don't work too well for edge tie outs, especially on the 1.1 oz silnyl.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast