Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    From JustJeff's site. Coffee gives you a very simple way of calculating your down needs/wants:

There are different types of down available. 750 fill grey goose down was used for this quilt. The fill power is how many cubic inches of volume 1 ounce of power will fill. This means that for this quilt 1 ounce will fill 750 cubic inches. The total amount of down is calculated by

Volume of Quilt = (Length in inches) x (Width in inches) x (loft in inches)

Total Down Used = [(Volume of Quilt) / (Down Fill Power)] x (Percentage of Overstuff)

This quilt was made to get a total loft of 2.5”. The baffles are made to be 2” tall. The extra half inch of loft comes from the over stuff. For this quilt I overstuffed each baffle by 15%. That means the equation above comes to:

Volume of Quilt = (78”) x (48”) x (2”) = 7488 cubic inches

Total Down Used = [ 7488 / 750 ] x (.15) = 15 oz

I chose an equal spacing on the baffles. I made 10 baffled compartments every 7.8”. This means that the quilt needs to have 9 baffles. The following equation is used to determine the amount of material needed for the baffles.

Total baffle length = (Number of baffles)*[baffle height + 1.5”]

The factor of 1.5” was used to account for the roll seam that is used to sew the baffle to the shell material. This will be explained more in detail later.

Total baffle length = (9)*[2” + 1.5”] = 31.5 inches
    Hope it helps! I was able to figure it out, so it can't be that difficult.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    good deal that is exactly what i have needed

another question is there a way to get two different kinds of sag in one hammock?
    say have the middle stiffer then the ends of the hammock?

I know that where your body is heaviest it will sag the lowest

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsawyer222 View Post
    My question involving the inline lay Is more of if the hammock were pulled tight you would not get the "bannana" lay you only get that if you try to lay inline with alot of sag
    YMMV, BUT...the only uncomfortable time I have ever spent in a hammock are those times when it was pitched "tight". It's counterintuitive but around 30 degree of "sag" in a gathered end hammock enables the flattest diagonal lay.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    YMMV, BUT...the only uncomfortable time I have ever spent in a hammock are those times when it was pitched "tight". It's counterintuitive but around 30 degree of "sag" in a gathered end hammock enables the flattest diagonal lay.
    why was it uncomfortable? what where the things that made it bad? can they be fixed without changing the sag?

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    why was it uncomfortable? what where the things that made it bad? can they be fixed without changing the sag?
    Hmmm...it was uncomfortable because the fabric tension prevented me from getting a sufficiently flat lay. Could this be fixed? I don't know since I sold that hammock and went back to my Warbonnet Blackbird. The WBBB has a structural ridgeline that makes it easy and repeatable to get a comfortable hang angle and resulting diagonal lay.

If I were more patient and/or forgiving, the offending hammock might have found redemption with more sag. It was a very well-made and spacious hammock, but it exceeded my patience limit for fiddling with it to get the proper lay. My WBBB didn't need any fiddling for comfort.

As we often say on HF, you may have a different experience. Try it and see!
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    Hmmm...it was uncomfortable because the fabric tension prevented me from getting a sufficiently flat lay. Could this be fixed? I don't know since I sold that hammock and went back to my Warbonnet Blackbird. The WBBB has a structural ridgeline that makes it easy and repeatable to get a comfortable hang angle and resulting diagonal lay.

If I were more patient and/or forgiving, the offending hammock might have found redemption with more sag. It was a very well-made and spacious hammock, but it exceeded my patience limit for fiddling with it to get the proper lay. My WBBB didn't need any fiddling for comfort.

As we often say on HF, you may have a different experience. Try it and see!
    i have a warbonnet blackbird and it is great what hammock did you get rid of?
    when you say it was too tight and you could not get flat does that mean you had knee problems? generally you can have your back and legs at a not flat angle and still sleep good ala a recliner most people have problems with their knees or with shoulder squeeze

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    when you say it was too tight and you could not get flat does that mean you had knee problems? generally you can have your back and legs at a not flat angle and still sleep good ala a recliner most people have problems with their knees or with shoulder squeeze
    I don't like sleeping like a banana. Some hammocks like Claytor, Clark, DD, etc are better suited to stretching 'tight'. They are narrow hammocks not designed for the diagonal. IMO, diagonal is much, much, much more comfortable and how gathered-end hammocks are used the world over. However, lots of folks prefer the tighter hammocks. My girlfriend used to like them hung tighter, but a couple of years sleeping in a big ole Brazilain has converted her right over.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I don't like sleeping like a banana. Some hammocks like Claytor, Clark, DD, etc are better suited to stretching 'tight'. They are narrow hammocks not designed for the diagonal. IMO, diagonal is much, much, much more comfortable and how gathered-end hammocks are used the world over. However, lots of folks prefer the tighter hammocks. My girlfriend used to like them hung tighter, but a couple of years sleeping in a big ole Brazilain has converted her right over.
    That is why i am asking the questions you dont like the bannana shape ok i get it OK How to fix it? other then laying on the diagonal or using a bridge hammock?
    they cant be the only two options in the universe before they brought the bridge hammock out everyone thought that laying on the diagonal was the only way well lets create some other options....what would it take to get flat?

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    What is the Shortest hammock anyone has actually used?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    what would it take to get flat?
    Don't know, but I'm listening.