Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock UL backpacker
    Tarp
    OES 10x12
    Insulation
    Winter nest
    Images

First Successful Hang (It Got A Little Cold)

So after two backyard hangs left me bailing out for the cozy house, I dropped the cash for the JRB winter nest (I have HH asym ultra-light). Last night me and my unwilling victim hung both hammocks in a “Y” and covered them with a large Wal-Mart tarp, waiting on my OES SpinnUL tarp I just ordered. I had the winter nest and the speer top quilt, she had my 15deg pinnacle sleeping bag and a walmart blue pad with car reflector wings duct taped on.Unfair much?
    After many tarp adjustments to completely tent it around us we were able to dose off here and there only getting a little cold here and there as the wind was gusting and howling.
    We awoke at 630 am to the bug nets and hammocks dusted with snow and 3 to 4 inches outside the tarp. The temp at 6 was 23 degrees, 19 being the lowest that night and we made it pretty well the entire night. Would I want to sleep like this on a regular basis? NOPE! The now non sealing slit on my hammock and underquilt let a breeze in (a minor issue). Although both of us were only wearing short sleeve icebreaker shirts and light hiking pants it was pushing it on the “bearable”. So a proper pitched tarp and extra clothing and we would have been great probably even lower.
    The big issue which most likely just needs practice is getting comfortable in the hammock, one way put pressure in your knees the other on your hips. I personally like to sleep on my side and had to curl up in a little ball to achieve this. I think I had the hammocks pulled to tight and also was unable to tie out the ends so it easy to see why we were restless. Overall I am stoked that we made it this low, I plan only low 30’s on the Colorado trail this summer and any lower we will either go on or real low to the ground. I do have to tinker with the nest and buy a better pad or make a double layer under hers (the HH scout) Issue with the undercover tho is we won’t be carrying that much extra items to stuff between it and the hammock. Oh well, Trial and Error !!
    Last edited by Dwrek; 04-07-2010 at 19:32.

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Congrats! 23F down to 19F is pretty darned good for first time!

Add in the winds and snow - you did it wonderfully.

Like you said - Practice!
    Happy Trails,
    J.D.

I never drink water. I'm afraid it will become habit-forming.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Cold hanging takes some practice. Getting an UQ properly adjusted while in a netted hammock can be tough since there's no way to reach out and feel for gaps and stuff. For me cold hanging got much easier after got the #2 zipper mod from TQ/ZQ. http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/index.html

I'm with JD. You did great for a first timer.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Thanks, Knotty.

I missed the whole bit about futzing around with the bugnet. I believe Happy Camper has the same mod on her WB.

I like to stay warm and over-pack. With an Exped downmat7 full length and an SPE, I am pretty toasty sub-zero. For the occasional cold spot, YoungBlood taught me to keep a couple ccf sit pads (abt. 12" X 12") inside at night. Just grab one of those for the errant knee/elbow and back to sleep. Carrying the sit pads anyway, right?
    Happy Trails,
    J.D.

I never drink water. I'm afraid it will become habit-forming.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock UL backpacker
    Tarp
    OES 10x12
    Insulation
    Winter nest
    Images
    I don't plan on taking a pad, figured if it comes to that temp along the trail my pack and it contents can be used. I wasn't intent on this being a winter test but that's how it goes out here. Was thinking of an overcover like the hh one they sell as that was the major heat loss when wind was blowing down the lenght of the hammock.
    Need to figure out a better felling pad for her, the wally ccf pad lacks comfort but plenty warm I just couldn't sleep on it. Since I am footing the bill in gear, food and everything else I would rather not drop more on another underquilt. It seem hard to balance college tuition (thanks ritter for that increase), a long trip and reaching the 20g in the bank savings goal before the trip on a 19yr olds income so thumbs up to all doing this with a family and a wife on top of that !!
    My pack weight goal for the trip is under 25 maybe 20 and her at 15 or less adjusted as needed based off her pace.

• + New Posts