Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider View Post
    I am a new convert. I discovered this thread via a google search after I saw a Hammock camper new Telluride CO. I was tired of hurting my back on the ground and the guy let me try out his HH. After lurking for a while and learning as much as I could I took the plunge. My setup is completely due to the great info you all have provided on this forum.

I wanted to start somewhat inexpensively (without jumping in to make my own from the beginning). So I purchased a Trek Light Double hammock (the ENO colors available at a good price were horrid and Trek Light is a CO company).

I set it up in the following way - the hammock comes with a hook attached to a larkshead. (Picture 1) - I removed the hook and replaced it with a Onrope1 buckle (Picture 2) - I ordered 2 12' lengths of polyester webbing from Strapworks (they sewed 2" loops for $0.75/loop) this is now attached to the buckle (Picture 3). I also got a Nano wire biner - it took me all of 5 minutes to setup my hammock up the first time (followed by a 1 1/2 hour nap break in the hammock - that was 5 exhausting minutes).

The best part is the hammock the straps and the biners all fit in the attached (to the hammock) stuff sack. (Picture 4).

Finally I got a 9X9 Sportsman's Guide camo tarp (or a Neo) along with 50' of 3.8mm spyderline from APS.

You guys are a great resource - thanks for the advice and help.

I would like to ask a couple of newbie questions.

1. Should my tarp have sypderline ridgeline - that is can I get away with simply attaching a length of sypderline to the grommets (on diagonal) and attaching those to the tree and then staking? Or do I need a full length ridgeline?

2. What is the best way to attache the tarp to the tree? Is there a particular lashing or method I should learn to get the tarp centered and tight as easily as possible?

Thanks in advance for the help.
    welcome to the hanging community neo

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider View Post
    Thanks all, for your welcome and the your help with the questions. I went to REI and got a couple of 9's - they worked great!. I took my son and his patrol on a brief back pack trip. It is the first time in the last 20 years of scouting that I got a good full night of sleep. My son was very jealous of the hammock setup - as were the other boys. Picture included.

The setup withstood a very strong Colorado PM Thunderstorm much better than the tents. I was comfortable and dry. After the storm was over, I did get a few insect attacks, so I guess my next project is some sort of bug screen.

Thanks again.
    cool hammock pic neo

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Welcome, Rider. Nice story and pics. Maybe you can covert a few of those Scouts.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12