Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

DIY diploma?

At 3:43 this morning, I mastered another DIY skill; how to land on your a@#! Does this mean I get a badge or something?

I have been doing some experiments with home sleeping hammocks. I'm using cotton because it's for an indoor set-up, it's cheap, it's strong, and feels good against the skin. I bought a few yards of material that is 94" wide to see if I could replicate those super wide lounger hammocks, but with whipped ends instead of multiple cords or a spreader bar. Maaaaaaan was it comfy. I rewhipped the ends multiple times to find the right length to comfort ratio. Needless to say, I had not put any hems in yet, just raw edges since I didn't know what the final dimensions would be.

Well, I found the sweet length and made the mistake of being LAZY! I decided to sleep in it one night before doing any work on the sewing machine. I decided to take it apart tomorrow (today) to take my measurements and all that.

Nature's call got me out of the hammock for a minute in the wee hours. When I got back in I started my scooting to find the 'spot'. That's when I heard it; just a quick rip...I held my breath; nothing. About 20 seconds later 2 quick rips; hands and feet fly out of the hammock as outriggers approximately .5 seconds too late! The big rip followed by the big thud as my butt gets introduced to the cross brace of my stand. NOT a good way to start the day, by the way.

Other than a bruised ego and slightly sore backside, I'm fine. However, that's the last time I get lazy with DIY stuff. Anyway, I guess I'm working towards becoming a full fledged DIYer; I've got my fall out of the way.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Yep, one rip heard and you'd better move fast! (not that that's ever happened to me...)

You're braver than I am for wanting to sleep in it all night. Glad you weren't hurt more.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    You're braver than I am for wanting to sleep in it all night.
    Yeah, it was dumb. But, it was tooooo comfortable to pass up and it was late in the evening. My sewing skills are still at the beginner level, so I'm slow on the machine. I would have been up another hour running the hems on this gigantic piece of material. I honestly figured I'd get away with one night.

Still, I should have known better. The trick will be to remember the lesson the next time I get some hair-brained idea.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I know how you feel though for wanting to jump right in, especially when you get comfortable. Too hard to get out of, sometimes.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    just FYI....in the past when i was gonna be lazy with a dIY hammock and just wanted to check out how it felt....i rolled the edges and used fabric glue..it set in 10 min and if i was happy ..i could sew thru it glue and all...glad your not bad hurt...

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    That's a good idea with the fabric glue. Seems like I might be able to be lazy AND safe!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

where's my Jetboil with coffee???

'cuse me for being thick this early in the a.m. Was up late last night sewing myself....need caffine...need caffine...

From context I understand that you think the rip started at the raw edge, must be on the side because the ends are whipped. I wouldn't have thought on a really big piece of fabric that you've have much force on the sides. Was the rip up near the whipping?

For the heroric act of falling great heights in a horizontal position
    I dub thee "Paratrooper". Your hammock forums uniform
    insignia displaying this honor is in the mail.

off for shower and caffine....and more caffine...

stumblingly
    Grizz

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Grizz- you are right on; even without your coffee. The tear started near the whipping and ripped about 2/3s of the way across the fabric.

Obviously, I didn’t look when it happened; just went to the closet to grab another hammock. I did glance at it this morning, but not for very long. I’ll do the CSI on it when I get home tonight to see exactly what happened. I do KNOW that it started on the edge since my left cheek hit the deck a millisecond before my right one. I’m considering butt implants as safety equipment.

Hammock
    DIY - Depends on time of year.
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    ..... I’m considering butt implants as safety equipment.
    Closed cell pads are cheaper.....oh sorry, you said implants!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    There are pillows under me now!

I started with my bed under me, then just used pillows, then I got cocky and went without padding; now back to padding. Another circle comes to a close.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast