Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TAlexander View Post
    Transfering "most" of the force would depend on what your angles looked like when you actually built it. I doubt it would be most b/c in a small room where this is necessary, the hammock would be close to horizontal. But it would definitely change the force vector, and using two eyelets would act as a pulley and significantly reduce the force on either of the single eyes. Very likely you could figure out the math and make sure this would be a safe alternative...at first glance, I think that's a GREAT design!

Again, make sure the ceiling joists are made from real 2x4 or 2x6 and not particle board I-beams.

Great post!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    If I could just sneak a force meter or load cell out of work for a day or two, we could get some real data to work with. I don't think they would like that, though.

BTW, thanks for the encouragement. It was just an idea that came to me on a slow day at work. If I hadn't already made a stand, I might put the idea to work. I hope it serves someone well. Be careful.
    "The first time I saw a hammock, I remember thinking, 'Now I know what trees are for.'" --Jim Gaffigan, comedian

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL, Several DIYs
    Tarp
    10x10 Granite Gear
    Insulation
    HammockGear Burrow
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Awesome! I love this forum! It's weekend project time!!

Hammock
    Modified Speer
    Tarp
    PenTarp, by OES
    Images
    I hate to be a wet blanket, but the illustrated arrangement is not going to significantly reduce strain on the wall eyes. Explaining "why" would require a mini-course in mechanics that would be out-of-place here, so I won't. If you suspect that I may be mistaken, ask an engineer (I'm not one.)
    There's another aspect of hanging from 2x4 walls that you should consider. Even if you get eyes to hold in a stud, you will probably find that the stud deflects slightly inward when the hammock is fully loaded. That deflection may put sideways stress on fasteners holding the gypsum board elsewhere in the wall, loosening the joint compound hiding the fasteners. Your landlord could be justifiably upset.
    If I were in your shoes I'd look further into the rigid ridge-line approach, hung from ceiling joists, and not put any fasteners at all in the walls. Some padding on the ends of the rigid ridge-line will protect the walls from any accidental battering-ram effect.
    bob

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I agree that hanging from the ceiling and using a "rigid ridge line" or compression member is a much better way to go. Using padeyes that take multiple, smaller screws and spread the load over a larger area is also a good idea. If you want some insight as to what kind of loads studs can actually take, look at the standards for ADA compliant grab bars. Usually anchored with no more than 2 @ 3/16 screws in each end going into an actual stud. The rest of the screws are often using wall anchors. Sometimes, they are anchored to a stud at only one end! (not recommended) When affixed to 2 studs, these bars are typically rated to 250-300 lbs. Assuming that you tie into 2 studs on each end, and that you use appropriate hardware (padeyes), I think that it is reasonable to say that a 200-250lb. person could be held from studs.
    BUT this is assuming that the studs are good wood. Another member, who will remain nameless, confided in me that he had a stud fail while hanging from an eye screw. The way that it failed was that a chunk of 2 x 4 and a chunk of drywall got ripped out of the wall. What this tells me is that he had a bad stud. For most modern homes, the quality of lumber that goes into the walls is not good. When (if) framing carpenters sort lumber, the worst stuff is used for studs. Joists are always more substantial lumber than 2 x 4, and the load put on them by hanging from the ceiling is substantially lower than the load put on a vertical member. Especially if the load is transferred straight (or nearly straight) down to a compression member.
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123