Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Search for Stormcrow's setup in the gallery...he did a diagonal across the corner and hung three hammocks from it. It was reinforced w/ vertical 2x4s and a piece across the ceiling to brace them from pulling out of the wall.

Couple things to keep in mind:
    - The screw needs to go exactly in the middle of the 2x4...if it's closer to one side, it will weaken the stud AND have a greater chance of pulling out.
    - Putting that much weight on a stud can pull the wall out of square...if you can spread the force over two or three studs (like with a horizontal brace screwed into three studs) it would help.
    - 320 lbs isn't a lot, considering the force a weighted hammock can put on the support. You might make it work if you don't pull the hammock tight...use a lot of sag.
    - If you increase the strength of the screw, by increasing the size, you're also increasing the size of the hole you're putting in the stud...further weakening the stud.

So if you're committed to hanging from the wall, I'd put a horizontal 2x4 or 2x6 into three studs...if your studs are 16" on center, that's about a 34" piece. Put a small block of the 2x6 between the horizontal brace and each stud, so that you have a space between the brace and the wall. This will allow you to put a bolt (rather than a screw) into the horizontal brace.

Wall
    |___|___| (that's the brace)
    eyebolt
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just thought of something else you could do...I did this hanging in a very small room with a metal grating roof once.

Hang the hammock from the ceiling...but don't worry about the sag. Use a 2x4 as a structural ridgeline...then your hammock supports can go vertically, or nearly vertically, to the ceiling. And that way the supports only hold half your weight each, b/c the 2x4 is handling the compression forces that would otherwise be exerted as tension forces on the wall.

If your ceiling can handle this, it may be a good option for you. Just make sure they're at least 2x4s, or preferably 2x6, joists. If they're particle board I-beams like in many newer homes, I wouldn't consider this idea.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL, Several DIYs
    Tarp
    10x10 Granite Gear
    Insulation
    HammockGear Burrow
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Ah. Wooden ridgeline! That could solve my issues! I'll climb into the attic tonight and check out what's going on up there. Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    If the ceiling thing doesn't work out, here's more to go w/ what's already been said about building a stand.
    I once built a stand in an extra bedroom of a trailer (mobile home) I was renting. It was for one of the shorter versions of the kicking bags when I was younger & really into Tae kwon do.
    I knew it would be under a lot of stress from multiple spin kicks, lung kicks, etc, so I basically framed the all corners of the room w/ 2x4s...

4 vertical wall corners
    connected at top of the wall/ceiling by four 2x4s
    and connected at the bottom wall/floor by four 2x4s.
    Then I ran a double 2x4 across the middle to support the bag's chain.

I also forced strips of leather between the walls & frame work to keep it all nice & tight & protect the walls. I didn't want to lose my deposit when I moved
    When it was time to take it down, not a sign that it was there.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    I have been thinking about this for a while. Has anyone tried having the suspension rigged to the ceiling, go down the walls to an eye bolt/screw then to the hammock? I would think that most of the weight would be put on the ceiling with a little weight being taken up on the eye bolt/screw.

Tony
    Last edited by TAlexander; 04-09-2010 at 11:50.
    "The first time I saw a hammock, I remember thinking, 'Now I know what trees are for.'" --Jim Gaffigan, comedian

Hammock
    Ticket To The Moon double
    Tarp
    coleman
    Insulation
    mod sleeping bag
    Suspension
    BlueWater 13mm
    Images
    Tony, thats a sweet idea i think im gana try that myself thanks

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by TAlexander View Post
    I have been thinking about this for a while. Has anyone tried having the suspension rigged to the ceiling, go down the walls to an eye bolt/screw then to the hammock? I would think that most of the weight would be put on the ceiling with a little weight being taken up on the eye bolt/screw.

Tony
    That seems like a great idea.

Even more eyelets could be utilised by using suspended rings.

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    I'm a liking this thread.. Please keep updating progress.. I know my day is coming... If you live, I will give it a shot.. lol

Images
    I would try it myself, but the land lord wouldn't find it very amusing.
    Someone with better physics-fu might suggest where to put the ceiling mounts to have optimal load bearing capabilities. If I remember high school physics, the more pullies you have the lighter the load. Also the position of the pullies makes a difference...how far away the top mounts are from the wall affects the force. I really do not know what I am talking about...it just sounds smart.

YMMV...proceed at own risk...and all that...I do not want to be responsible for cracked heads, unless I'm doing the cracking.

Tony
    "The first time I saw a hammock, I remember thinking, 'Now I know what trees are for.'" --Jim Gaffigan, comedian

Hammock
    Ticket To The Moon double
    Tarp
    coleman
    Insulation
    mod sleeping bag
    Suspension
    BlueWater 13mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TAlexander View Post
    I would try it myself, but the land lord wouldn't find it very amusing.
    Someone with better physics-fu might suggest where to put the ceiling mounts to have optimal load bearing capabilities. If I remember high school physics, the more pullies you have the lighter the load. Also the position of the pullies makes a difference...how far away the top mounts are from the wall affects the force. I really do not know what I am talking about...it just sounds smart.

YMMV...proceed at own risk...and all that...I do not want to be responsible for cracked heads, unless I'm doing the cracking.

Tony
    well il let you know how it turns out when i try it

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast