Tarp
    DIY 7.5X10
    Insulation
    Mac IX UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images

My First Hammock, the Blackbird

I wanted to write a quick review of my first hammock for the other hammock newbs like myself.

I first heard of camping style hammocks from an article in backpacker.com and my lower back screamed out “hey you better get one or I’ll go on strike.” I’m not old but my back and knees have high mileage. So I started the internet search for more info and quickly found Shugs videos on you tube, which led me here on Hammock Forums.

I read and read, and read some more, looking at photos and more photos. Not ever being in a hammock I had no idea what I wanted in a hammock. All I knew was, I’m a ‘Side Sleeper’, was concerned about ‘knee lock’, and wanted few parts, and subdued color.

Finally after two months of being on the fence between two different hammocks, I decided to get a WB BB 1.7 DB (Warbonnet Black Bird 1.7 Double). It took me a day or two to figure out all the abbreviations on this place.

After about a week I got it in the mail. I happened to be home when it arrived too. I felt like a kid again on Christmas morning! I open the box and it was in its stuff sack. It was very light. I can’t imagine what the 1.0 feels like.

My son and I took it outside to set it up. I took about a minute to set it up for the very first time (after going back in the house to find two carabineers that I forgot). For some reason it looks shorter on the internet. The buckles are so light its impossible!

Sitting in it for the first time I felt like I was getting in a hot bath! But soon fully trusted the fabric with my weight, all 200 lbs. of it.

I spent the rest of the day playing around with different heights of either end, lowering and raising my feet and head to find a good level.

This thing is very comfortable from the beginning. I then set up my camping fleece pillow like I had seen in a Shug video. I also put one on the feet end for under my knees. This isn’t a big deal because there will always be more stuff I’ll want to keep dry inside the hammock.

After dinner the temp started to go down and I tried to rig an old sleeping bag to the outside for a Under Quilt (UQ). That didn’t go well. So I folded an Army poncho liner so as to cover my butt to my neck and put that, along with my CCF pad, in between the Double sheets.

Settling in for the night I quickly learned how important and UQ is! With the slightest breeze I knew immediately if any part of me was off the poncho liner! It was like laying down on a block of ice.
    With my environmentally friendly camping radio blaring some tunes I got nice and comfy. Suddenly I woke up and it was 4am and I had to go!

After watering the plants I got back in and snuggled up. “hey, I fell asleep on my back”! It was amazing. I cannot fall asleep on my back in a bed.

I didn’t have work today so I went back to sleep. Three hours later I woke up to the sweet sounds of nature, cars turning on, doors slamming, motorcycles roaring open throttle down my road, dogs barking, little dogs chipping. Very relaxing.
    I got up and went in the house. “well good morning, how was it?” asked my wife. “I feel asleep on my back and didn’t wake up till peepee time” “ It was great”
    I waited till after rush hour and brought my coffee and oatmeal out to the hammock and had ‘Breakfast in the Hammock’ (Shug). By this time the birds were out and singing. Very nice and quiet. I spent the rest of the morning just hanging and reading my book, enjoying my hammock and the early spring sounds and smells.

In fact I spent the afternoon in it too. And would have spent the evening in it too if my sweet, caring, beautiful wife (she’s reading this) hadn’t sent me out to the store.
    The second night I had my son in there with me. We slept nose to feet. It wasn’t to bad, he’s 45” tall. The temp got down to 45 degrees. We woke up with our butts hitting the ground. I remember reading somewhere on the forum that the straps will stretch the first time.
    I’ve slept in it four nights now and I don’t have one complaint. Anyone considering the Warbonnet Blackbird as their first hammock won’t be disappointed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by FireFlyburns; 04-11-2010 at 13:41.
    "If your not outraged, then your not paying attention"
    bumper sticker

"You have to grow old, But you don't have to grow up"

Hammock
    Treehugger (Eno clone), and HHULB
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    webbing
    What a great first hang report. It's wonderful that you conquered the wilderness in your own backyard. Let us know when you go to the woods!

Crazy Hammock Lady

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks for the report. Sounds great!

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    is your boy clamoring for his own hammock yet?
    have you let the wife try it out also?
    congrats on a (fairly) smooth intro!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Another great start! AND it's even better out on the trail when your sore and tired and then you lay down in your hammock and think to yourself . . . "Gee, I'm in heaven when I could be on the ground!"
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix 0
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie sling
    great 1st hang!! I hope to get mine this week sometime!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dble
    Tarp
    BWWD v2
    Insulation
    Incubator/UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/DutchHook
    Images
    I can't wait till Thursday night when I get to try mine out at the MAHHA.

Hammock
    BB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    MacCat SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    Welcome to the Warbonnet club my friend. Warbonnet Guy (Brandon is his name) saved my camping life. I have a bad back also. The Warbonnet is DA BOMB!!!
    "Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny." - Yoda

Hungry Hammock Hanger Website

Somewhere between the ideal of heaven and the reality of hell
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird Double 1.7
    Tarp
    DIY 7.5X10
    Insulation
    Mac IX UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images

The Pics!

Sorry guys. In my hurry to write the report and get back in my hammock I forgot to post the pics. Here they are!

Since the first report the nights have been cold again, about 40-45 degrees. So I'm using a folded up blanket that my mother knitted me(don't laugh!) in between the sheets. It's nice and thick and works well. It also rained heavy friday night, no problems.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by FireFlyburns; 04-12-2010 at 06:59.
    "If your not outraged, then your not paying attention"
    bumper sticker

"You have to grow old, But you don't have to grow up"

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hehe!

You've had a taste of the WBBB hammock crack! Welcome to the club.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast