HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    I'm with strapped-4-cache on this tarp.
    I have it set up in the rain now. Raining since last night and pretty heavy at times. It is DRY BENEATH the tarp!

I don't feel any Poly coating on this. I THINK it is silicone impregnated. This tarp feels and floats around like a 1.1 piece of nylon. ( I can't believe it is a waterproof, lightweight, 12x12 tarp of good quality.
    NO WATER HAS entered through the many seams or tie out points.... Been mighty windy through the night and it is holding...

I am amazed!
    Two thumbs up!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Strapped-4-Cache View Post
    I have to give a big thumbs up for this tarp. We experienced monsoon-quality winds and rain last Saturday night. I dropped the tarp down to the ground prior to the worst of the weather, even though my fellow campers wouldn't let me stay in the hammock because of the storm. I spent the night in a pop-up trailer next to my site.

When I went out to check my equipment the next morning, the bottom of the hammock was damp due to ground splashes, but everything else was completely dry. Better still, the tarp and my home-made skins dried quickly in the morning breezes, allowing me to pack it up without worrying about it getting everything else around it wet.

The night before we experienced enough rain to gather about a quart of water in a pool on top of my tarp, but nothing seeped through. I was able to push up against the back side to get the water off, and the tarp sprang back into shape. Aside from needing to get self-tensioning lines to keep the tarp taut, this tarp performed flawlessly. Money well spent.

Side view

Front view

View of the river

Almost fully lowered before storm
    How many stakes and what was the length and number of guylines you used for this setup? I've been thinking about getting the GG tarp because of this setup but I wanted to know how you went about it

Hammock
    Hennessey
    Tarp
    Asym
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Strapped-4-Cache View Post
    I have to give a big thumbs up for this tarp. We experienced monsoon-quality winds and rain last Saturday night. I dropped the tarp down to the ground prior to the worst of the weather, even though my fellow campers wouldn't let me stay in the hammock because of the storm. I spent the night in a pop-up trailer next to my site.

When I went out to check my equipment the next morning, the bottom of the hammock was damp due to ground splashes, but everything else was completely dry. Better still, the tarp and my home-made skins dried quickly in the morning breezes, allowing me to pack it up without worrying about it getting everything else around it wet.

The night before we experienced enough rain to gather about a quart of water in a pool on top of my tarp, but nothing seeped through. I was able to push up against the back side to get the water off, and the tarp sprang back into shape. Aside from needing to get self-tensioning lines to keep the tarp taut, this tarp performed flawlessly. Money well spent.

Side view

Front view

View of the river

Almost fully lowered before storm
    Did you add tie outs for pitching as a rectangle? If so could I see a picture?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    MM IX dbl
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac_48 View Post
    How many stakes and what was the length and number of guylines you used for this setup? I've been thinking about getting the GG tarp because of this setup but I wanted to know how you went about it
    I used a total of 8 stakes. One for each corner, two for the lines coming from the front pull-outs supporting the hiking sticks, one for the rear pull-outs, and one for the Blackbird shelf. I ran the line from the front Blackbird pull-out to one the stakes holding the front tarp pull-outs. I have 8’ of Nightize Triptease knock-off line tied to the corners and tied the lies supplied with the tarp to the pull-outs. When snugged down I’d guess about 4-6 feet of line from the tarp to each stake, depending on the ground since it wasn’t flat. The figure 9's made tightening the lines a snap.

Quote Originally Posted by schwieb View Post
    I don’t have a pic handy, but I’ll see if I can come up with one. I basically held grosgrain on the bottom side, then hand stitched grosgrain on the top side, leaving a generous loop in the center of the sewed area. I sewed bar tacks at the ends and near the loop and then sewed a boxed “x” between the bar tacks on each side.

Images
    They are back in stock for $20 + $5 shipping.

http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/net....aspx?a=328267

You can two of them for $17.50 each (plus $8 shipping) using code BF279 - it is good for $5 off $25 or more (but it has to be $25 or more of just a product, not product + shipping)

Just ordered a couple of these. Will probably end up testing my DIY skills and cutting it down a bit but this looks like a pretty darn good deal.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    MM IX dbl
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by schwieb View Post
    Well, I've tried to take a picture of my pathetic hand-sewn tie-outs, but the black stitching on black grosgrain just doesn't want to show up in pictures. Guess I should be grateful. Sorry for no pic, but I I could manage to sew these strips on with no instruction I'm sure you shouldn't have any problems. I put the grosgrain on the bottom side so the thread would have somthing to bind against, since I wasn't sure how sturdy the nylon was.

First Post!

How small can you stuff these tarps down for storage/transport?

Soda can, coffee can, garbage can?

Thanks

Roy

Coffee can. 8"x6" is possible if you work at it a bit.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    I just odered two. For that price I couldn't pass it up! Even if they are white.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast