Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by winkydo View Post
    is there a guide anywhere that explains how to add tie outs like this? i know nothing about sewing much less thread patterns, fabric types, or how to make that little loop stay under stress from wind.

Hi Winkydo,

Adding tie-outs on this tarp is really easy. The hardest part is the sewing, but you should be able to add decent tie-outs in under 30 min.

I cut out two large triangles from some heavy nylon ripstop to use as a reinforecemnt patch, I don't remember the exact dimensions but it was something like 10X8X8. I did a rolled hem on each of the three sides to keep it from fraying. Then I figured out how large I wanted the loop to be for the webbing attachment and cut and heat sealed the webbing. Then sew the patch to the underside of the tarp, with the long side against the edge of the tarp and the end pointing back to the tarp center. Then take the webbing and put one end on each side of the tarp, centered over the newly sewn on patch and sew it on with a box stitch or two. After that it should be done, all you have to do is seam seal the top of the tarp where you sewed.

I need to post some pictures of the process, but haven't taken any yet. I have one more to do, so maybe I can do it then.

Thanks,

BG

Well I went with the Kelty Noah. They had a sale at REI and mbers got 20 percent off
    one item so I used mine on the Kelty. After reading here I was surprised to open it up and find it had tieouts already at the mid points and it came with guy lines and plastid figure 9's as well as aluminum stakes. So it was a little more that the 20 bucks but I don't have to sew on it now.

The GG 12x12 has to be one of the best shoe string budget options. I am surprised how well it has worked, it really shines if you mod it so there is a center pull out. Here are some pics from a recent trip with two hammocks underneath it.

Do they make it in a 10X10, or is 12X12 as small as it gets? I have 0 luck searching on that site

Thanks!

12X12 on a diagonal is something like 16 feet, which is a little longer than I want.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGoat View Post
    The GG 12x12 has to be one of the best shoe string budget options. I am surprised how well it has worked, it really shines if you mod it so there is a center pull out. Here are some pics from a recent trip with two hammocks underneath it.

I will be doing the mod next week.
    Have to comb the HF posts for GG Mods....
    This is a superlative tarp
    Tom

Hammock
    WBBB1.1/DIY Asym
    Tarp
    Modded Guide Gear
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Anyone know where a guy can pick another one up? I have been searching the web for another after a big June trip in which I among my tripmates were pretty impressed.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultra Light
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12 x 12
    That was a smoking deal on those! I picked one up and took it on a 4 day motorcycle road/camping trip, but none of my camp sites had a good pace to tie up.

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    In the past they have started to re-stock them in Feb. or March.

EDIT: Bad news, everybody! I just got off the phone with Sportsman's Guide. I was calling to see when the 12 x 12 tarps would be back in stock and the sales guy said that they are discontinued. I am going to do some more research, and I will post if I find out that the salesman was smoking crack.
    Last edited by pedro; 07-30-2010 at 14:35.
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultra Light
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12 x 12
    I have heard of people using foot prints for tarps as well:

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorge.../BAG0198M.html

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    MM IX dbl
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    In the past they have started to re-stock them in Feb. or March.

EDIT: Bad news, everybody! I just got off the phone with Sportsman's Guide. I was calling to see when the 12 x 12 tarps would be back in stock and the sales guy said that they are discontinued. I am going to do some more research, and I will post if I find out that the salesman was smoking crack.
    Dang it. I *KNEW* that I should have ordered a second one. Well, I guess the Chinook is a good second tarp to have. I really like the GG, though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456