DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    work is starting to pick up like crazy never been this busy in January mite not make it but will see how things turn out who knows
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

Hammock
    HG 10’ w/net
    Tarp
    Anything with door
    Insulation
    HQ 20*/40* UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps to con
    Mmmmm. Various pork products and eggs and coffee! Mmmmmmm

I’ll pick some up on my way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawldaddy View Post
    Id like to hear your preferences on this.. alot of debate. In colder weather do you sleep in your skivees confident in your rated quilts to stay warm in your hammock? Or do you put on all kinds of various clothing to match your needed insulation system? (whether you have the needed quilt requirements or not.
    Crawldaddy, it depends. If you have good quilts, set up good, then you do not need to wear all the layers you wore around camp.
    But if your quilts are barely rated for lowest temperatures forecast, then you might need to wear most of layers, that you wore around camp during the day and evening.

That can be bad, if your quilts are good for 10* lower than lowest forecasted temperatures overnight, and under quilt is set good, with no air gaps, then all those extra layers of warm clothing combined with good quilts, can cause you to sweat your clothes soaking wet in your sleep.

When you wake up freezing, wearing wet sweaty clothes, then you have to remove them and hope you can warm back up in your quilts. (A quick change into dry skivvies or dry camp clothes would help)

Don’t ask me how I know
    All I can say, is a short fat man had to get up cussing, soaked with sweat, remove all wet clothes, hang wet clothes on tarp and hammock ridgeline.

Got back into hammock with no clothes hoping quilts would be enough to give good sleep until sunrise.
    In morning, not all sweat soaked clothes were dry.

Two under quilts can be stacked. And top quilt can be boosted by having a large comforter draped over hammock ridgeline. I have even laid a heavy coat over my torso-and underneath top quilt. Insulation is cumulative or additive. I would not wear that same coat in hammock.
    First too bulky and uncomfortable
    Second I believe if I get too hot, I might even, in my sleep or dozing, that I might push coat off my torso, and keep from overheating.

It is possible to wear lots of warm clothes layers and it work perfectly. But there is chance of overheating and sweat soaking layers closest to your skin.

Nalgene bottles filled with hot water can help
    Hot hands patches and hot hand bean bags can help
    Under quilt protector can help
    A full size or larger tarp with doors and staked low to block wind can help

Good luck

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Thinking I might make this one.
    Don't forget that you will need to bring water since it will be turned off at the campground. Ranger Station will have water if you can drive back down the hill and then up again. Might want to put the water in a cooler to keep it from freezing. At least that would be my plan. Bringing my 2 burner stand-up cooker and propane and assorted cast iron stuff.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20
    Suspension
    Straps and buckle
    Id like to hear your preferences on this.. alot of debate. In colder weather do you sleep in your skivees confident in your rated quilts to stay warm in your hammock? Or do you put on all kinds of various clothing to match your needed insulation system? (whether you have the needed quilt requirements or not.
    Don't sleep just in your underwear...When you get up i the middle of the night to pee in a bottle you'll regret it. I sleep in a pair of long jons and sometimes a pair of pants over them. That's all you should need. Putting a Nalgene bottle of hot water (not boiling) in with you will stay warm all night and you'll have your water for coffee in the morning

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GroundHog View Post
    Scrapple is a distant cousin of Livermush.
    Scrapple may not always acknowledge that relationship, especially with respect to flavor.

Hammock
    DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    good plan rockdawg I've did that in the past putting water in the cooler and it works
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    In years past I tried striping down to sleep in cold weather.
    Hated stripping down and hated getting up for nature calls. It was pretty miserable to me.

So a long time ago I started sleeping in my clothes, pretty much what I wore up until bedtime.
    If I needed to take off a jacket or something I would, especially in milder weather.

But on a few occasions I even slept in my gortex rain jacket. It was dry because I was just using it as a windbreaker.

If I get too warm, I wake up and vent, usually by opening up one side of the top quilt but if need be I remove a layer.

Haven't been bothered much by sweaty clothes, partly because I'm not a heavy sweater and because I am wearing all synthetic clothing and my body heat dries any moister that I put off.
    Your milage may vary.

Matter of fact I remember reading something years ago from some of the Backpacking Light.com guys, saying that may be the only way to dry moist clothing in fridgid temps.

Sleeping in my clothes has worked well for me.
    No discomfort going to bed, getting in the night or in the morning.

PS, if my clothes are wrinkled in the morning, now you know why ;~)
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    HG 10’ w/net
    Tarp
    Anything with door
    Insulation
    HQ 20*/40* UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps to con

VA- GHSP/ Mt-Rogers-Winter-Hang, Jan 20 - 23, 2022

If I may crawldaddy, I would enjoy the fortuitous opportunity to provide my (for a lack of better words) 2 cents.

Several years ago I asked the same question with much the same response so I set out to test a few ideas.

3 nights and 3 scenarios.

Night one; 27*, standard 20* top and under quilts. A base layer, pants and shirt, fleece vest and down coat. Oh and 2 pairs of wool socks and hat.

Night two; 25*, standard 20* set plus diy 10*set.
    Plus the afore mentioned attire.

Night three; 17*, only the 10*set with an added UQ protector and an added fleece throw. A base layer, pants, fleece pull over, one pair of rag wool socks and hat.

Results for each night are as follows.

Night one. After an hour or two in hammock, I was having a hard time staying warm and ended up going into the house by 1:00 AM.
    I believe that I had to many layers on that the quilts could not catch and maintain any amounts of warmth.

Night two. Woke up sweating and had to shed a layer. By 3:00 AM the dampness had caused chills again and I bailed.
    I believe that again I had to many layer on and the added quilts blocked any perspiration from escaping.

Night three. Slept all night with only one nature call.

It is my belief that as long as your body produces enough warmth and that warmth can transfer to the down in the quilt, you succeed. A fleece throw or light wool blanket will stop the warmth from from escaping the down, you will do even better.

In the end, each is different and we just have to find the right fuel for the engine, combination of layers and quilts and always have a backup plan.

Y’all enjoy the rant and see y’all next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Need2noCallahan; 01-11-2022 at 23:26.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    A quick look at the 10-day forecast for Damascus is showing potential for snow on Friday. Temps the week before are in 30's with 20's at night. Could be a cold weekend in the park.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast