Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Also...you could look into Insultex...you can find it pretty cheap in group buys ...

could make a cheap UQ with Insultex...
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    IMO there is good reason for not finding much on open cell foam. It don't work very well _except_ in the super Shelter. I think that's one reason some people are so hesitant about the SS. But it works well. Very well in fact. As far as making your own... I've tried a few times to knockoff the Super Shelter and have had absolutely no success. The undercover is a very non-intuitive design, I think it could be duplicated only by taking one apart, which I am totally unwilling to do with mine. YMMV
    Plus, the HH OCF is molded to a shape that helps it work better than it otherwise would. It might be tough to pull that off DIY.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Plus, the HH OCF is molded to a shape that helps it work better than it otherwise would. It might be tough to pull that off DIY.
    i agree BB58...i think thats why we don't see anyone with a DIY SS

i think his best bet is a DIY Speer SPE...or break down and make a quilt...

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    Exped Poncho/Tarp
    Insulation
    WallcreepBivanorak
    Suspension
    Eno SlapStrap Pro
    Here's a custom HH SS I made that really pushes some sub-zero temps...

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=6555

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Trees View Post
    Here's a custom HH SS I made that really pushes some sub-zero temps...

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=6555
    thats a nice setup...but i see a problem...what do you do if there is a foot of snow on the ground and everything is wet?

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    Exped Poncho/Tarp
    Insulation
    WallcreepBivanorak
    Suspension
    Eno SlapStrap Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlespaul View Post
    thats a nice setup...but i see a problem...what do you do if there is a foot of snow on the ground and everything is wet?
    That's a good question... I have been testing and re-testing different ideas of using "stuffable" natural insulation. I certainly have come to find that using a 20 F down bag with an outer layer of natural insulation, I can really get into the sub-zero temps and be completely warm. The natural insulation needs to loft around 2"-3" thick and this extra layer really does the trick.
    The main concern with the natural insulation approach is... finding and using dry natural materials in the winter. It would seem that you would have to collect the material and have on hand to use prior to the winter months. And you have to pack whatever natural insulation you want to bring along with you. My thought is, what if I could somehow wear my stuffable SS as a "stuffed-poncho". This would alleviate the need to carry it in my pack and offer me a warm barrier against the cold. Plus, I would have another use for the SS other than just an undercover. Another thought is, it would also be nice to be able to remove and re-stuff my custom SS very quickly.
    So, I'm working on a stuffable & wearable WPB bivy sack/ hammock sock/ anorak that I would "stuff" quickly prior to using for winter trips. I will be able to stuff this anorak/ hammock sock/ bivy sack with individual, pre-filled bags of natural insulation. In the cold temps, I will be able wear it as my outer jacket while hiking and then use it as a bivy sack/ hammock sock around my hammock and Exped Wallcreeper when sleeping.
    Hoping to sew a prototype here soon and do some testing with the design. I will certainly post a review and pics.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Trees View Post
    That's a good question... I have been testing and re-testing different ideas of using "stuffable" natural insulation. I certainly have come to find that using a 20 F down bag with an outer layer of natural insulation, I can really get into the sub-zero temps and be completely warm. The natural insulation needs to loft around 2"-3" thick and this extra layer really does the trick.
    The main concern with the natural insulation approach is... finding and using dry natural materials in the winter. It would seem that you would have to collect the material and have on hand to use prior to the winter months. And you have to pack whatever natural insulation you want to bring along with you. My thought is, what if I could somehow wear my stuffable SS as a "stuffed-poncho". This would alleviate the need to carry it in my pack and offer me a warm barrier against the cold. Plus, I would have another use for the SS other than just an undercover. Another thought is, it would also be nice to be able to remove and re-stuff my custom SS very quickly.
    So, I'm working on a stuffable & wearable WPB bivy sack/ hammock sock/ anorak that I would "stuff" quickly prior to using for winter trips. I will be able to stuff this anorak/ hammock sock/ bivy sack with individual, pre-filled bags of natural insulation. In the cold temps, I will be able wear it as my outer jacket while hiking and then use it as a bivy sack/ hammock sock around my hammock and Exped Wallcreeper when sleeping.
    Hoping to sew a prototype here soon and do some testing with the design. I will certainly post a review and pics.
    i would love to see how it comes out...i think something like that would make a great survival item....

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    Exped Poncho/Tarp
    Insulation
    WallcreepBivanorak
    Suspension
    Eno SlapStrap Pro
    It certainly is designed as survival gear. Imagine a Hilleberg Bivanorak with "stuffable" pockets. (But, using a more durable WPB material than the bivanorak.) I will be able to stuff this in a pinch and always carry dry tinder to use. Plus, some other neat features to work with my hammock and when wearing this with a backpack on .

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I've done a bit of searching about open cell foam bottom insulation and haven't come up with too much. Has anyone made their own version of a SS? I'm thinking of ways to use open cell egg crate foam (or something similar) as bottom insulation for my DIY hammock. Yes, I know it's bulky, but it's also a lot lighter than my current carpet padding solution. I haven't found too much on anyone else using open cell other than the actual Super Shelters

Try looking into automobile headliner material. I think it comes in a couple different thicknesses. 3/16" and 1/2".

Images
    Try looking into automobile headliner material. I think it comes in a couple different thicknesses. 3/16" and 1/2".
    Do you mean the volara ccf, or is this something different that's ocf?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast