Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie/FixedStrap

Quick and Dirty Temporary Suspension

It seems I am kind of behind the eight ball on a replacement suspension system for hanging this claytor jungle hammock. I am going to be camped out wed-sunday at a music festival and need a quick and dirty suggestion for finding cinch buckles or descender rings at mall wart or similar...i live in a small town and have to go 100 miles or so to get to large chain camping stores, etc.

"Do, or do not. There is no try.'"
    -- Yoda

Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way. - Dr. Seuss

HIKER'S GUIDE OFFICIAL RULE # 8...... Three leaves and shiny not for the hiney.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    See if a vendor will give you 2-day air on a good setup.

Or go to Walmart and get some cargo tie-down straps. Nylon stretches, so you might get thicker ones than you think you'll need.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle Hammock
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling

JH suspension

GNU, I got my rings at a farm store in the horse equipment section. Heavy duty ring, different sizes available. They use them to make horse bridles. Fixed them at the hammock with some Amsteel Blue 1/8 inch then ran tree straps down to the rings. 2 Rings on each end of hammock, works great.
    I think I'll ask her if I can go.....I'm sure she wont care, will she?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    What exatly are you after? Ive got a set of cinch buckles and a set of SMC rings. I can whip up some webbing, slings and ship them express on Monday. Youll have them Tuesday.

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie/FixedStrap

suspension

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    What exatly are you after? Ive got a set of cinch buckles and a set of SMC rings. I can whip up some webbing, slings and ship them express on Monday. Youll have them Tuesday.
    Opie, I am open to ideas....i want a quick, adjustable hang, without getting wet from wicking webbing.....I purchased the claytor jungle hammock and just have not had the time to get it right....i wanna use it at the festival....there are supposed to be close to 20-30,000 people attending..... so it might be NECESSARY to hang even though there are 700 acres.

I sure would like to avoid buying round after round of suspensions trying to get it dialed in.....I am a big, wide, heavy dude...pushing 240.

Gimme some suggestions....i know you are a reputable guy from reading here....
    GNU
    "Do, or do not. There is no try.'"
    -- Yoda

Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way. - Dr. Seuss

HIKER'S GUIDE OFFICIAL RULE # 8...... Three leaves and shiny not for the hiney.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    5/16th hollow poly braid, available at wallyworld, in the boating section.. Make yourself a pair of whoopies, for now. Less than $5.00/25 feet, iirc, and you'll have no problem hanging on it. I'm 340 and used it before. Should be enough there to make two 6 foot whoopies. Similar rope is available at most stores. Kmart, wallys, hardware stores. Just make sure its poly braid.
    Ratchet straps will work for treehuggers, again look for polyester straps.

For the water issue, tie a small length of string to your suspension about 2 inches away from the hammock at each end. The water will hit the string and run to the ground.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Opie's definitely got what you need for your suspension, and it would be top notch gear. You could always look in a hardware store and they would have ratchet straps and steel rings, but one word of caution, some on here tried the steel rings from the hardware store and busted the weld that holds them together and ripped into the webbing, at the moment I can't remember who it was but maybe they will chime in. Really the best thing would be getting it from Opie, or from Paul from AHE, Pauls shipping is really fast and he's got great gear, not taking anything away from Opie, both will work great for what you need!

• + New Posts