Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle

The loooooooong hang long awaited...

I FINALLY had the opportunity to set up my new Switchback, Leigh's UQ and Guide Gear tarp in the back yard. I only have one tree (which is 2.5 ft in diameter) but have an old clothesline base in the ground 25 feet from the tree . I bought steel thick walled 10 ft conduit and anchored it to a fence corner; works great. The SB is super comfy. i really like the netting with spreader bars. I can sit upright inside with full bug protection and not hit my head on the top. It also makes me yearn for the WB shelf, but I will just have to get creative about inside storage.

First is the 10 pole with lots of straps going everywhere for support. The next two photos are of the SB with PVC spreader bars and my Montbell superstretch sleeping bag I use as a quilt. Funny thing is I've always used it as a quilt on the ground; I've only been in it once as a bag. It is stretchy but I don't like bags. The 4th image is the GG tarp with mods on the ridgeline. The last two photos are of Leigh's UQ. It is the perfect weight/warmth for my summer camping needs. I haven't spent all night in it yet but did take a good nap yesterday. One question though. The GG is 12 x 12 and the SB is 11 ft I think. However, the ring buckles and whipping protrude on both sides which concerns me if it rains. Do I actually need a 13 ft tarp? I realize the distance of the hang is extreme but frankly I can't imagine I'd want that much more sag that would allow for the hammock ends to be under the tarp. Does anyone make a 13 x 12 tarp? I probably should wait to hang the correct distance before making a tarp decision but I am curious about options.

Thanks for looking and especially thanks for the knowledge base provided here. Without it, I would have yet another summer on the ground! I hope to get to one of the hangs and thank you all in person!
    m
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The gene pool needs a life guard.

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    Shoot! I forgot to mentions Opie's tarp line which is handling much abuse and is at it's very limit! I could play a one note song on it right now

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    consider making a "Blackbishop bag" or snakeskins/cover for the bits that hang out...it is basically a choice between large or small tube of fabric that can resist moisture. HTH, KM

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I hang my guide gear tarp on a diamond shape (vs. a hut shape). If you look at how the tarp is put together, you'll see a seam running from one corner to the oppiset corner, hang it up from these two corners.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    KM and Tina, those are excellent suggestions and ones I will consider. And I looked up actual dimensions this morning instead of just guessing. It is 120" x 52". So 10 feet. I'm still befuddled on how a 12' tarp won't cover a 10 foot hammock ??? I know it is stretched to the max right now, but 10 feet is 10 feet. One question about a diamond tarp pitch Tina, any issues with rain blowing in at all?

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    That tarp is humongus when set up on the diamond shape. Just set it lower to the ground if you're expecting bad weather. You can also set it with one end a bit higher than the other, have the low end facing the wind/rain blowing at you. I've used it in moderate to light rain storms, never had any problems. Really bad storms, I'm using my much smaller Clark tarp which I can seal the ends on.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    Thanks a bunch! I'll try it this weekend.

• + New Posts