BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    Yep, have a Lost Ranger and Horse Thief. I am donating the Lost Ranger to a Youth Hiking group in VA, and hanging on to the HT in the off chance I ever need to go to ground again (shudders).
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

I have a storm king and a thermarest pro lite plus used in a air bivy extreme. I have been down to 27 deg. with a simple DIY poncho liner under quilt and had absolutely no issues. Was down to 37deg with no underquilt and was extremely warm. Never lost the pad once.

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    I use a Mystic long with a 3/8" Evazote pad + sit pad (to fill out length) down to near freezing. Beyond that I'd use my 78" Ridgerest Deluxe (no longer made, I fear) or take an additional torso-length 1/4" pad -- I've tried both and they work fine as cold as I care to be walking around in the woods. I've used the insulated inflatable BA mattress and it works fine, but only take it if I might have to sleep a night on the ground for some reason (seldom). Very comfortable, even luxurious, and flexible system.

I use a Lost Ranger and either an insulated air core, or a 2 track. The air core is lighter and good to 15 deg, same as the bag, but the 2 track is good down to 0. Or so they say. I don't have much trouble staying on either pad, and neither one trys to pop out of my hammock (clark). I sleep just fine on either and I can't quite figure out what other folks are finding uncomfortable about them.

I'm keeping my eye out for a BA Yampa as a warmer weather bag and as an over-bag for the Ranger. Supposedly it would take me down to -10 used that way, or so they say.

Those bags together would be a few oz. over 5 lbs, but if it keeps my butt warm then I'd deal with it.

I used the aircore pad under a a 25 yr old LL Bean synthetic mummy, rating unknown, and was way more than toasty at 32 deg.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    I never really used a sleeping bag in a hammock as an actual sleeping bag, but I have used my BA Insulated Aircore. I got one of the petite rectangular ones. Having a shorter pad helps keep it in the hammock. I normally use one of my down UQ's now, but if I'm off for a wet weekend be it from rain or fog, the BA in an SPE works without fear of getting wet. Letting some of the air out or not inflating it all the way tend to give it enough flex to stay under me in the hammock as well.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    I never really used a sleeping bag in a hammock as an actual sleeping bag, but I have used my BA Insulated Aircore. I got one of the petite rectangular ones. Having a shorter pad helps keep it in the hammock. I normally use one of my down UQ's now, but if I'm off for a wet weekend be it from rain or fog, the BA in an SPE works without fear of getting wet. Letting some of the air out or not inflating it all the way tend to give it enough flex to stay under me in the hammock as well.
    I have used the regular length mummy INSULATED BA Aircore also, it is well worth it, but works best between the bottom cover and hammock. (about 1/2 full of air) The short version would probably be much better.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zul View Post
    I've been looking at the Big Agnes sleeping bag and air core pad for a few years and finally made the purchase. After only two days of back yard use, here are my findings:

Pros: Sleeping bag sleeve with pad, warm underside and no more wiggle dance to 'get on' or 'stay on' the pad. This is a great fit for hammocking.

Cons: The rectangular air pad. Suggest the 'mummy' shape. The rectangular pad hangs off the edges of my ENO Single.

I haven't taken it overnight or down in temp but I do feel confident that it will hold comfort to freezing.

Has anyone else worked this system? I'm looking for ideas or suggestions ...

Let the hammock season BEGIN !!!!
    thats how i started, but didn't like zipping a bag. so i eventually got an underquilt and cut the pocket and zipper off bag for overquilt. my son uses that setup now.

So do inflatables work well? Or should I stick with the ccf pads. The coldest I'll be hanging in is probably 40. Would just a pad and a 10 deg sleeping bag work for weather down to that degree?

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTorch View Post
    So do inflatables work well? Or should I stick with the ccf pads. The coldest I'll be hanging in is probably 40. Would just a pad and a 10 deg sleeping bag work for weather down to that degree?
    Yes, a 10 deg F bag and a ccf pad or an air pad will keep you warm at 40 deg F. I wouldn't buy a UQ or TQ until you know you like hammocks.

The BA sleeping bag / pad combo has the advantage of the pad sleeve to hold the pad in place. Helps on the ground and really helps in a hammock.

On gathered end hammocks, people experienced cold shoulders and sides and so created ccf pad extenders to fix that.

IMO, UQ and TQ are required for lower temps, but @ 40 deg F their only advantage is that they are alot easier to use...
    Last edited by tjm; 01-20-2011 at 13:13.
    Love my JRB BMB

Hammock
    WBBB / diy gathered
    Tarp
    kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    Sleepingbag / Pad
    Suspension
    Web / whoopie
    Images
    My wife and I both got a big agnes bag/pad about 2 years ago, and returned them after one weekend. I was using it on the ground, so in a hammock may be different. What I found was that even though it was a 15 degree bag, and it was only about 26deg (I sleep warm normally) we were freezing. the problem is where the bag and pad meet, it is a thin spot with no insulation, and created nice cold spots all the way around. We solved this the second night by packing our clothes around the edges to fill in this spot. I have some other BA products that I am very happy with, but at least for me, the sleeping bag design did not work.

c

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast