Hammock
    1.1 DL Traveler
    Tarp
    Etowah 8x10
    Insulation
    AHE Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I actually have made my tensioners tied directly to the hammock, and the guylines are attached to them via double fisherman's knot. I found this helpful because then I can change the amount of guyline I wish to use depending on which tarp I use.
    Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith (Hebrews 12:2)

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Talking No help

Use a tarp with fewer guylines.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    oldgringo predicts: one day, there will be little pockets sewn on tarps @ each tie down attachment point, and life will be good.

I did this on my DIY tarp Dave, similar in design to an old Moss Outfitter Wing I have which is huge, heavy, but built like a tank. Each tie off point has a pocket with velcro closure. Works well. I always have help putting it up and down and can take the time to wrap each line and put in into the corresponding pocket.

I have found that I am kinda lazy though when it is just me and roll up the lines with the tarp when I put the snake skin on and then the lines dangle when I remove it. Minimal tangle, but I know when I am in one of those anal-retentive moods, my pockets are there.
    Last edited by canoebie; 04-12-2010 at 10:48. Reason: forgot the hyphen in anal-retentive. :)
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    Skittles was just talking to Scott Littlefield abouy adding guy line pockets. We sent him some pictures of the pockets on my hex tarp. He's looking into adding these pockets to his tarps. Just fyi. Skittles loves her custom Winter Dream tarp from Scott.
    Still working on details, but I do hope to offer a solution to this frustrating guy-line problem that will be standard on my tarps. I will try to have it coincide with the (still pending) re-start-up of Backwoods Daydreamer production.

Maybe some of you DIY enthusiasts can help with some ideas... I've added a pic of the HH solution from Rook.
    Hex tarp 3.jpg

The problem in copying it is this (other than a possible HH patent issues) - most all of our DIY tarps (and near to every cottage industry tarp maker here) have a reinforcement patch and webbing loop sewn on for tie-outs. HH does not do this. They instead use the edging material to form the tie-out.
    Hex tarp 6.jpg

And here's the common way we do it.
    Tie-Out 6.jpg

If we want to do a similar thing, have a line pocket, any ideas on how could it be done with the reinforcement patch and webbing loop system? Would doing it the same as HH while still sewing a webbing loop onto the end cause it to loose too much space inside? Ideally it would still be hemmed into the edges.

Ideas?
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Use a diamond shape reinforcing patch, as in your third picture, but omit the interior criss-cross stitching. Just sew around the edge. Perhaps use a slightly larger diamond than the one shown. Then hang the tarp with plenty of tension and inspect the patch to see which part of the sewn seam is doing the least work. You should be able to find a 2" section of the edge seam that has less tension on it. Rip out that 2" to make the opening of your pocket. Double-sew the parts of the seam that remain, but don't make the holes too close together.
    Tension may be different at different tie-out points, so look at each one. If you are the type who says, "But the tension may vary with different tie-out angles, so I should test tying to stakes, trees, poles, and rocks located left and right at least 30° of the ideal tie-out, and all angles in between ..." then I invite you to join our Recovering Perfectionist Support Group, which meets 3 times a day, 5 days a week, with a weekend hotline...

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Winter Dream v.2
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    Ideas?
    A pocket seems tough to do without changing the reinforcement. What about a short loop of shock cord sewn in? Not as slick as a pocket but a step up from a rubber band.

Otherwise the only solution for the Winter Dream tarp would be to sew an extra triangle of material over the reinforce section. That way you get the best of both features.I don't know how to work a thread injector but that seems to be a complex proposition.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL/Speer/Clark
    Tarp
    SpeerWT/HG Custom
    Insulation
    HGear UQ &TQs
    Suspension
    Whoopies/SShackles
    Wow, lots of good ideas. I love the small pocket idea the best of all but don't feel that I could pull off adding 10 without screwing something up. This is (in my opinion) the perfect fix.

I do have an idea that came from this thread indirectly. I will go home and make an example and see what happens. I may try to post a video if it works out.

Images
    2Q & ZQ added line pockets to my Mac Ultra (in Spinn)when it was in for sewn-on doors. And pole pockets. It's pimped to the max, unless someone knows of something else that could be done. The most important thing that needs to be done is it needs to be slept under!
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle

pimp ur tarp

Doug, you could put some art on your tarp to complete the pimpage

The gene pool needs a life guard.

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    I sewed my pockets right over the tabs and reinforcements. I continue to just stuff the lines in and have had no tangles. This is done on an old GG tarp as I 'somewhat' patiently wait for Scott to start production again. Somewhat. I got a little excited at his post today but alas he broke my bubble once again.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15031
    The gene pool needs a life guard.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast