Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

center line

You'll need those "center" legs to be more or less exactly on center line, otherwise the risk is high that the whole thing will cave in on you...
    He who sits alone, sleeps alone, and walks alone, who is strenuous and subdues himself alone, will find delight in the solitude of the forest.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anderz View Post
    You'll need those "center" legs to be more or less exactly on center line, otherwise the risk is high that the whole thing will cave in on you...
    Didn't think about that. I will probably be able to come up with some system to help with that. I think maybe something as simple as a rope. I could figure out what distance between the stands is the best, and measure the distance from the two outside legs from the other two outside legs on the other frame. Something like 15 feet. Then when I set up I just take the rope and use it to make sure the setup is "square". Meaning the two outside legs on one frame are the same distance form the two outside legs on the other frame.

Images
    Ok, it doesn't work. Did a setup with 2x2 lumber, and it kept tipping over. No matter how much of an angle the inner leg as at, when I put a little weight on the hammock both frames came with it. It seems like the inner leg would have to be at something like a 10* angle from the ground for this to work, and that would put my hammock on the ground. Oh well, I tried. Now I'm just gonna make a swing set type of stand. Two A-frames with a pole across the top. Nice, simple, and still easy to take down and store in my car.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    Ok, it doesn't work. Did a setup with 2x2 lumber, and it kept tipping over. No matter how much of an angle the inner leg as at, when I put a little weight on the hammock both frames came with it. It seems like the inner leg would have to be at something like a 10* angle from the ground for this to work, and that would put my hammock on the ground. Oh well, I tried. Now I'm just gonna make a swing set type of stand. Two A-frames with a pole across the top. Nice, simple, and still easy to take down and store in my car.
    Use any stakes at all? That center leg ought to be able to reduce the load on stakes, but (as you have verified experimentally) cannot replace the stakes.

Grizz

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Use any stakes at all? That center leg ought to be able to reduce the load on stakes, but (as you have verified experimentally) cannot replace the stakes.

Grizz

Didn't have any stakes around to try. My main goal was to have something free standing. Don't have to worry about sand, or muddy ground to have stakes come out of. Also something that I can just pick up and move without removing stakes. Mostly though, I just don't want to trust a stake. If it fails the frame will fall on me. That could mean a trip to the hospital if the one at my head fails. Just not worth the risk. A stake could work a hundred times, but put it in just the right type of soil, and let a good rain come down at night and it's coming out. I want something that I know for certain isn't the weak point in my setup.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12