Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hanging "by the numbers" is so overrated. The amount of sag that makes your hammock comfortable is one of the most highly individualized specifics in hammocking. This means that only you know how much sag works for you, regardless of what number it may be measured at. It's all a matter of trial and error, seeing what works and what doesn't. I stumbled into my sag and ridgeline length totally by accident and it's worked for me since. I've never, ever tried to measure the angle of my hang, there's no reason for it. Along the same lines, I've never measured the length of my ridgeline. My hammocks all hang the same way: comfortably. Yours should, too.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Hanging "by the numbers" is so overrated. The amount of sag that makes your hammock comfortable is one of the most highly individualized specifics in hammocking. This means that only you know how much sag works for you, regardless of what number it may be measured at. It's all a matter of trial and error, seeing what works and what doesn't. I stumbled into my sag and ridgeline length totally by accident and it's worked for me since. I've never, ever tried to measure the angle of my hang, there's no reason for it. Along the same lines, I've never measured the length of my ridgeline. My hammocks all hang the same way: comfortably. Yours should, too.
    +1
    Well put. Accurately measuring the sag angle would be meaningful if I wanted to build a second hammock exactly like the first, but if it's for somebody else, their preference might be different. Besides, I keep thinking of new things to try. If I ever get to the point where I wanted to "mass produce" (i.e. - more than one ), I'd still use an adjustable ridgeline.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 dbl w/DIY Risk style bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY WW camo rect.
    Insulation
    DIY SB UQ/ IX UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Someone help me here...

I am understanding the sag angle of the suspension line is set by how tight you pull the lines at the point of attachment. The sag angle of the hammock is set by the length of the of the structural ridgeline in relation to the length of the hammock material. Comfort is determined by the sag of the hammock, and stress on the suspension system is determined by the sag angle of the suspension.
    The trees are drawing me near, I've got to find out why?
    Those gentle voices I hear, explain it all with a sigh.
    "Tuesday Afternoon" Moody Blues

Even duct-tape can't fix stupid.

Hammock
    Modified Speer
    Tarp
    PenTarp, by OES
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by exdiver View Post
    Someone help me here...

I am understanding the sag angle of the suspension line is set by how tight you pull the lines at the point of attachment. The sag angle of the hammock is set by the length of the of the structural ridgeline in relation to the length of the hammock material. Comfort is determined by the sag of the hammock, and stress on the suspension system is determined by the sag angle of the suspension.
    Bingo!!! You not only got it right, you explained it well. The only thing I can think of to add is trivial: those who do without a structural ridgeline have only one angle, which is both of the above.

Many hangers don't realize that stress in the suspension line skyrockets as the angle of the suspension approaches horizontal. This not only places them in potential danger, it also increases the liklihood of damage to the tree.
    bob

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    Many hangers don't realize that stress in the suspension line skyrockets as the angle of the suspension approaches horizontal. This not only places them in potential danger, it also increases the liklihood of damage to the tree.
    Has anyone noticed that in just about every Hennessy video out there, the hammock is strung up with the suspension line dang near horizontal and almost in-line with the ridgeline? Is that the way it should be on the Hennessy hammocks?
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Quote Originally Posted by sir_n0thing View Post
    Has anyone noticed that in just about every Hennessy video out there, the hammock is strung up with the suspension line dang near horizontal and almost in-line with the ridgeline? Is that the way it should be on the Hennessy hammocks?
    This is something I've been curious about too. I'm new to hammocks (first post on these forums) but every time I hang my HH I feel instinctively driven to get that sucker as tight and horizontal as possible - sag is unacceptable!

Of course, it's still being broken in, so sag happens regardless.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Welcome out of lurkerdom!

It certainly doesn't have to be that tight, and it's actually much easier to hang if you don't try to. It just needs to be tight enough that the ridgeline stays taut when you lay down.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Modified Speer
    Tarp
    PenTarp, by OES
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCantaloupe View Post
    This is something I've been curious about too. I'm new to hammocks (first post on these forums) but every time I hang my HH I feel instinctively driven to get that sucker as tight and horizontal as possible - sag is unacceptable!

Of course, it's still being broken in, so sag happens regardless.
    .....and if you could get it perfectly horizontal it would break of it's own weight No math, no engineering, just observe. You will never see a powerline in a straight line from one pole to the next. Surely if it were practical (or possible) the power companies would hang lines that way to gain extra clearance from the ground. But in practice they have worked out an amount of sag that avoids escalating costs of less sag. Save wear and tear on your new equipment by following Just Jeff's advice.

And welcome aboard.
    bob

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_n0thing View Post
    The oficial advice on the DD hammocks website says it should be reasonably tight too. I quote:

"...3) It should be tied reasonably tight (so its almost a straight line from tree to tree with no-one inside) and should rest just above sitting height. It will drop slightly once you enter it (If using for first time it may need to be re-tied to allow for minor stretching of rope)."

I reckon this roughly equates to 10-20 degrees, depending on how many pies the sleeper has consumed.

This is at odds with the general HF consensus on 'angle of dangle'.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast