Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    DD's first underquilts also were not snugged against the hammock at the head end...there were big gaps between the quilt and the hammock.

One of the benefits of not being an innovator, and using a business model of running a close 2nd, is that you save R&D money by letting the innovators develop what you can produce cheaply. (Which is why a Burger King often goes up near a McDonalds a few months later.) The downfall of this strategy is that, since your engineers aren't solving the problems themselves, you also pass on the innovators' problems to your customers.

Sounds like their ridgeline advice is based on HH's early conventions rather than an understanding of the physics involved.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Well, the deal with the Hennessy is that since they are a bottom entry hammock, people have a tendency to hang them higher off the ground to make it easier to get underneath and stand up through the bottom slit and sit down. Since people are constrained on how high they can reach on the tree to attach the tree huggers and also do the recommended Hennessy wrap knot, very often you need to tighten the suspension a lot more to compensate, producing a more horizontal sag angle. At least that's the way it was for me back in my early hanging days when I was using a Hennessy.

Quote Originally Posted by sir_n0thing View Post
    Has anyone noticed that in just about every Hennessy video out there, the hammock is strung up with the suspension line dang near horizontal and almost in-line with the ridgeline? Is that the way it should be on the Hennessy hammocks?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    30 degrees is when the drop of the suspension cord is half of the length of the cord.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drewboy View Post
    Well, the deal with the Hennessy is that since they are a bottom entry hammock, people have a tendency to hang them higher off the ground to make it easier to get underneath and stand up through the bottom slit and sit down. Since people are constrained on how high they can reach on the tree to attach the tree huggers and also do the recommended Hennessy wrap knot, very often you need to tighten the suspension a lot more to compensate, producing a more horizontal sag angle. At least that's the way it was for me back in my early hanging days when I was using a Hennessy.
    That makes sense.
    Even the videos with Mr. Hennessy himself in them show the thing strung up almost horizontal.
    In all honesty, I'm finding a comfortable hang is harder to get in my Expedition than it was in my Clark.
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The HH is best and most comfortable, at least in my experience, when it is hung with a ridgeline that is barely taut. The tighter it is hung the more likely it is to develop the center ridge problem and knee/thigh pressure. The directions on the old stuff sack (I haven't seen the new) are just plain and simple wrong and misleading. It is my understanding they have been revised. Loosen the hang to the 30* from horizontal and try it again. Most of the complaints I have resolved for other people with HH have been from hanging too tightly.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks Rev, I'll play with it some more. Last time I used it I thought I had it hung pretty loosely, but still had that odd center ridge issue and allot of pressure on my lower legs.
    Practice makes perfect, and I'm definitely not opposed to "practicing" sleeping in the woods as often as possible!
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    30 degrees is when the drop of the suspension cord is half of the length of the cord.
    I had just finished looking this up, when you posted this.

According to the source I found, a 30* angle will rise 6.9" for each 12" of run...7:12, to keep things workable.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Just snapped my ridgeline (y'all were right about high tension putting excessive strain on it it seems) tonight, had to restring it with Spyderline. Anybody know how long a stock HH Explorer Ultralite ridgeline is?

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    .....You will never see a powerline in a straight line from one pole to the next. Surely if it were practical (or possible) the power companies would hang lines that way...
    For what it is worth.. this is (?) hyperbolic (?) tan, sin, cos that we use for our cat cuts....

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    ... Then I went back to my shop and dug up my inclinometer...
    For those who aren't civil engineers, this is a very simple device that measures the angle/slope of various things. Don't know where you can actually buy them, but I have several passed down from my grandfather and father.

A simple DIY tool is to buy a big protractor* at Wally's World, a piece of string, and a rock. Tie the rock to the string, hold the string at the the middle on the straight edge of the protractor, and then, holding the protractor so that the curved edge is down and the straight edge parallel to your support strap, read the number.

If you are really cheap (like me) you could print a protractror ( http://www.ossmann.com/protractor/ ) on a piece of 8x10 paper and use that....

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast