Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Please, if anyone sees me hanging my hammock with a level in one hand and a clinometer in the other, just shoot me, and write it off as public service.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Please, if anyone sees me hanging my hammock with a level in one hand and a clinometer in the other, just shoot me, and write it off as public service.
    I tend to agree. It seems a little CDO (That's OCD [obsessive compulsive disorder] for people who need it to be alphabetical). I have gotten to the point where I can pretty much eyeball what I want my hang to look like.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Modified Speer
    Tarp
    PenTarp, by OES
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    .......I have gotten to the point where I can pretty much eyeball what I want my hang to look like.
    So have I. And I suspect that most of us here have. But when I first tried, on my own as I do most things I try, I got it wrong quite a few times and was about ready to give it all up before finally trying more sag instead of less. Sometimes we are most helpful when we point out what seems obvious to us but may seem counterintuitive to someone else.
    bob

Hammock
    grand trunk skeeter beeter pro
    Tarp
    10x12
    Insulation
    baby fat
    Suspension
    tow straps
    ...i hate just jump in the middle of this but i just took my new hammock out of the bag and hung my straps at shoulder height,and the hammock was almost taught at first...then after a while of me inside of it it had sag.

does new hammocks "stretch in"?

after a while of "tinkering" i found that keeping the suspension straps about shoulder level and the lowest part of the "bag" at bellybutton level i can use the hammock comfortably as a chair or a hang.

im not sure what degree it is but i think i can eyeball what its supposed to look like now.
    jamie
    ...still tryin to look like a 300# leaf...

primitive michigan website...
    http://www.webjam.com/primitivemichigan

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yeah - the fabric on new hammocks can stretch for the first several nights. It'll quit after a while.

What kind of hammock is it? If you're using nylon straps (like ENO Slap Straps) they might never stop stretching! But if you have an HH with Spectra cords it's just the fabric and will quit after a week or so.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    grand trunk skeeter beeter pro
    Tarp
    10x12
    Insulation
    baby fat
    Suspension
    tow straps
    its a grand trunk skeeter beeter pro.
    im going to replace the s hooks asap , with 1" tow straps for suspension
    ...still tryin to look like a 300# leaf...

primitive michigan website...
    http://www.webjam.com/primitivemichigan

Hammock
    Castaway
    Tarp
    Equinox sil tarp
    Insulation
    down sleeping bags
    Suspension
    rigid SLS + whoopy
    I have a spectra ridgeline in my hammock, and whoopies connecting the hammock to the ridgeline, so I can tighten up or loosen to adjust what is sort of an "adjustable fixed ridgeline". Its really hard to measure the angle of depression while laying in the hammock as you must have noticed. A friend put an electronic pull meter on the tie out and measured about 450 pounds of load. A bit more than twice his weight. Anyway I like being able to pull on one of my whoopie rings to raise the hammock.
    Jim S

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I think the idea behind the HH ridgeline was that you could tie off the suspension as tight or loose as possible, but the ridgeline ensured you always had the "right" sag in the hammock -- simplifying the hanging process.

Not that this technique is the best, per se, it's simply easy to do.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    It seems to me that expressing sag in degrees (measured at the tree, not at the hammock, of course) is a disservice to those who are not mathematically inclined or experienced. Is this a non-issue???
    It has turned out to be a non-issue for me. On my ridgeline hammocks, I usually just end up hanging it tight enough so that the RL is not sagging down ( or not much) once I am in. And that is usually about right.

For my RL free hammocks, it doesn't seem to be that critical. I can usually eye ball it to the position that I know won't give me too much shoulder squeeze. That will be about right, but if I get more sag- that will be OK also. It just doesn't seem to matter as much as I used to think it did, though it does vary with the hammock. It seems particularly uncritical with my Claytor. So I just set up with some obvious suspension sag, avoiding anything near horizontal, and it seems to work out good. My guess is that it would be somewhere near 30*, probably a bit more usually. But I have never measured.

Quote Originally Posted by sir_n0thing View Post
    Has anyone noticed that in just about every Hennessy video out there, the hammock is strung up with the suspension line dang near horizontal and almost in-line with the ridgeline? Is that the way it should be on the Hennessy hammocks?
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCantaloupe View Post
    This is something I've been curious about too. I'm new to hammocks (first post on these forums) but every time I hang my HH I feel instinctively driven to get that sucker as tight and horizontal as possible - sag is unacceptable!

Of course, it's still being broken in, so sag happens regardless.
    http://www.hennessyhammock.com/setup.html
    Pass rope ends through webbing loops. Adjust hammock until centered and ridge line is level and under light tension.
    Even if you pull the unoccupied hammock tight enough so that both suspension and RL are about horizontal, you can still pull it a lot tighter than that, especially with hardware like cinch buckles and such. You can also snap a RL. I finally figured out mine was not as comfortable if pulled real tight, even with the stock rope/huggers and HH lashing. These days I just sort of snug things up, not really tight. If I get in and the RL is sagging, I tighten it up a little more.

Oh Yeah: with my bridge, I just pull it enough so that all the slack is out of the net (serving as sort of a RL), then back off a couple of inches. This usually ends up pretty darn close to the recommended 9'6" between the outer rings.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234