Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bears

Bears

I searched around, Couldn't find an answer.

But anyway, I'm planning a trip to the Serria's, And I'm considering purchasing a hammock for the trip. My father presented something to me against a hammock, being in between two trees could I possibly get mistaken for a backpack by a bear? Has anyone heard anything of the sort like this? or have personal experience in the area?

thanks for the help.

Bears don't want backpacks, they want what's in them (and they know roller packs are better for their backs anyway). If you smell like trail mix and catsup, being in a tent isn't going to make you any less tempting to the bear.

Senior Member leepingreenlizards's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fox10078 View Post
    I searched around, Couldn't find an answer.

But anyway, I'm planning a trip to the Serria's, And I'm considering purchasing a hammock for the trip. My father presented something to me against a hammock, being in between two trees could I possibly get mistaken for a backpack by a bear? Has anyone heard anything of the sort like this? or have personal experience in the area?

thanks for the help.
    No, but the possibility of being mistaken for a Chalupa is pretty good. Juusssst the right dinning height for the bear. By not having to bend down to dine, will help prevent any ergonomic injuries to his neck and shoulders, which I’m sure the bear will greatly appreciate. LOL!
    Last edited by leepingreenlizards; 04-12-2010 at 14:16.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Bears in the more popular areas are trained to look for things like backpacks, coolers, etc. However backpacks don't snore.
    If there's two ways to take my comments, assume it's the lighter and funnier of the two.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Where are you going? About 95% of my outings are in the Sierras, into the "bad bear" areas. Never had a bear approach the hammock. Bears in Yosemite are the worst in terms of seeking food from people - they know what backpacks, ice chests and bags are, but I doubt very much they would ever bother a tent or hammock that does not smell like food.

And the bears have definitely walked through our camp. We spent a week chasing away bears every night - they go through camp and sniff stoves and pots, then head straight for the bear canisters, which should be placed a distance from your tent/hammock, in an area where they can't easily be rolled off down a hill or into water, with nothing attached to them - the bear will roll them around and test the lid then leave. If the bear sticks around and keeps trying, get out and yell and throw things in the general direction of the bear (NOT HITTING IT) and it will run away.

Images
    Don't fall asleep with a Snickers bar in your pocket and you should be fine.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bearbait View Post
    Don't fall asleep with a Snickers bar in your pocket and you should be fine.
    That's for sure! I've posted this before. My co-worker opened a Butterfinger candy bar when he was up in a tree stand in West Virginia and the bears wanted him to share it.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    HH & WB & GT & ENO
    Tarp
    Hennessy ASYM 30D
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hang your food and other smellies (toothpaste, deodorant, etc.) 75+ feet from your camp and you should be fine...

Jamie

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    That's for sure! I've posted this before. My co-worker opened a Butterfinger candy bar when he was up in a tree stand in West Virginia and the bears wanted him to share it.
    That was great the first time i saw it. Just shows that Kenny Loggins is the best bear deterrent out there.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    Good one! I used to live in CA and camped in the sierras and Yosemite. Bears smell is far superior to their eyesight and depend on their nose to find food. What others have said- keep where you cook far away from where you sleep and dont go to bed slathered in cooking grease, snacks or the favorite, snickers bars. While their eyesight is not as good, they still have learned to recognize bright colored coolers, but I think its more of the sniff they got rather than the shape.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast