Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Thumbs up Superior Hiking Trail Hang

I had an excellent trip to the Superior Hiking Trail the past couple days. I met up with Shug and Beep on the trail at the Manitou River in Crosby Manitou State Park on Saturday. We hiked out to Horseshoe Ridge campsite on the Superior Hiking trail. It was about a 2 hour hike with a pretty wicked uphill climb. I was feeling the burn! We got out to camp and set up. Got a little fire going, engaged in some great conversation...lot's of gear talk and food talk and we all turned in pretty early.

Got up early in the morning and Shug headed out solo back to his car at the park parking lot. Beep and I followed about 30 minutes later and Beep headed home after we got to the cars at Crosby.

I headed back to the Finland Rec Center and met up with Shug. We left my car at the Finland Rec Center trail head lot and took Shug's van to the Section 13 trail head. From there Shug and I did an awesome 5.5 mile hike to the Leskinen Creek campsite. Beautiful scenery on this hike. We set up camp and about an hour later Mr. Green showed up. He took the same route Shug and I did. After Mr. Green got set up we kicked around the fire and chatted. I was pretty beat and my allergies started acting up late afternoon into the evening so I turned into my Blackbird for the night at 9pm while Shug and Mr. Green stayed up later around the fire. I got up this morning feeling refreshed and ready to go after another great nights sleep in the hammock. I decided to head out solo back to my car for the journey home and Shug and Mr. Green took some time to have breakfast this morning before heading back to their cars.

All in all this was the best backpacking/hammock trip to date for me. I'd never done more than 5 miles hiking in one day so the 10 miles I did Sunday was a personal best for me. I'm not in athlete shape but I think I did all right considering. I generally do overnighters or 2 day trips so this was great to get my feet wet doing some longer distance hikes and it was a privilege to have such great company in Shug, Beep and Mr. Green. I'll be posting a few photos to my gallery.

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sounds like a good time with good company! Congrats on the higher mileage day. Does that mean you will soon be planning more ambitious hikes in the future? What kind of temps were you seeing out there?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Sounds like a great trip,,good for you.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
    Sounds like a good time with good company! Congrats on the higher mileage day. Does that mean you will soon be planning more ambitious hikes in the future? What kind of temps were you seeing out there?
    I may do some more longer trips but I need to work my way into it more. The temps were nice. Highs were in the upper 50's to low 60's and lows were in the upper 20's to low 30's.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hehe...and don't let anyone fool you! Shug (even with a broken big toe) is speedy!! Well, he was speedy compared to us!

Pizza and I were fine though huffing'n'puffing'n'sweating from a long way back.

Good company and almost perfect springtime hiking weather (for Minnesota).
    Last edited by beep; 04-12-2010 at 17:02.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sounds like a great trip in a great area! Thanks for the Sector 7 report.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    IT WAS A TERRIFIC weekend ... a trifecta for me as I met beep at #14 site in Crosby .... we had a night of conversation about gear and life and a chilly night.
    Then we hiked the River Trail out to the bridge at Manitou River and along comes pizza in about 15 minutes. Cool!
    So the three of us traipse off to HorseShoe Ridge site on the SHT ..... a fairly rugged stretch of trail. Very diverse ... up and down and one loooong straight up out of the river. We shared a fantastic night of camping and hit the hammocks soon after dark. Got cold fast that night ... I wager around 27º....
    It was 30º when I looked at 6:45AM. Warm as could be in my GrizzBridge, JRB HR top quilt and Warbonnet Winter Yeti.
    After "So Longs" to beep...I took off .... we are all adults ...no need to clump! Had some solo hiking time and went to the car and checked out some trailheads and had some cold milk. Met pizza at Finland Rec Center but convinced him we should do the Section 13 hike into Leskiken Creek where we would meet up with MrGreen. It is a terrific section of trail and pizza was a willing hiker. No whimpering from him!
    We hiked up ...then down and through .... cross two beaver bogs ... by the huge, all alone glacial erratic and then on to camp. MrGreen strolls in around 5. We three have a great night. I was stove up from a tough 11 miles but woke so refreshed from my hammock .... seriously felt terrific.
    and young.

pizza rolled on and MrGreen and I enjoyed his customary morning fire. Ate, talked, watered and had a fine walk out.
    Brilliant to hike and cross over with 3 different HF members!!!!!!!!!
    We did and always will secure sector seven,
    Shug

beep, Shug and pizza
    beep, Shug, pizza.jpg
    Leskiken Creek Camp
    from left ... Shug's rig, pizza's rig ...MrGreen's Hennessy
    Leskiken.jpg
    Last edited by Shug; 04-13-2010 at 19:02.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie, biner
    Images
    How in the world did you break your toe Shug? Sounds like a nice trip guys, what a pretty area will have to join you all on the next trip. Thanks for the report.

Hammock
    Blackbird - Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    Hey Shug, how do you compare the Bridge to your BB or custom Gathered End? I've never tried a Bridge and sometimes dislike the dreaded "calf ridge" that sometimes occures. Just wondering if they were something to consider.
    Those who expect disappointment are never disappointed.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post
    How in the world did you break your toe Shug? Sounds like a nice trip guys, what a pretty area will have to join you all on the next trip. Thanks for the report.
    Circus accident! It felt really OK on this hike so my Gorge trip will be A-OK.
    Yes! We want to hear all your AT stories ...... I mean all.

Quote Originally Posted by gRaFFiX View Post
    Hey Shug, how do you compare the Bridge to your BB or custom Gathered End? I've never tried a Bridge and sometimes dislike the dreaded "calf ridge" that sometimes occures. Just wondering if they were something to consider.
    My feet really like the bridge .... minor, minoe shoulder squeeze but it is my over-used left shoulder and I get it in all hammocks from time to time. I roll a bit to the right or put my arm above my head briefly.
    The only think that may hold someone back is the tarp pitching options.
    I did not want to like the bridge but will for sure use it as I am liking it more and more.
    Grizz is the Feller.....
    Gathered end for most backpack trips though .... mainly out of nostalgia.....
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast