Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Hammocking with a Dog

my pup went with me this weekend and slept in hammock with me. at the rate she is growing this will be short lived. What do others do??? Rain, wind and such...............

PS no pup tent jokes... LOL

Hammock
    Mayan, Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Downmat
    My dog (deseased) had had his own ccf and I would throw a blanket over him.

But I was thinking that the REI dog tent could be made light enough for adog to carry along with some dehydrated dog food. Plenty off room for the thing under most tarps. Better yet make a tyvek bivy for the beast.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fishtar View Post
    My dog (deseased) had had his own ccf and I would throw a blanket over him.

But I was thinking that the REI dog tent could be made light enough for adog to carry along with some dehydrated dog food. Plenty off room for the thing under most tarps. Better yet make a tyvek bivy for the beast.
    i have a lot of tyvek. any ideas???

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Sky Dog has a tent that is really nice. Check it out if you get to MAHHA.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Mayan, Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Downmat
    How about just a simple A frame srung over one of your hammock ends with a ccf floor. Then a polargaurd quilt held up at one end so the beast can get under it? Wind & water proofed & insulted.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    I've got three dogs, and I hike with all them individually ( I'd never be able to keep track of all three at once).
    The smallest one is a rat terrier mix (about 16 lbs), and she sleeps in the hammock with me. I just have to leave a spot for her nose to poke out from the TQ to keep her respiration from wetting out my down.

The next one is a 50 lbs retriever mix. She normally sleeps under my hammock on a sit pad. I normally carry one of the heavy space blankets for a ground cloth to set my gear on under the tarp. The space blanket and the sit pad combined with being under a tarp AND my hammock keeps her warm down into the 20's or so. She's been known to climb into the hammock as well when it gets below the 20's. It's a bit crowded, but we manage to keep each other warmer.

My biggest dog is a husky-shepherd mix. She basically does as my retriever mix, but never gets cold enough to bother with the hammock. (I've seen her sleeping quite soundly at close to 0 below my hammock.)

When the dogs under my hammock act like they're getting too cold, I've also been able to fold the space blanket (the heavy ones are more rigid) into a small tent over the dog with my pack shielding the opening. My guess is that the combination of tarp, hammock, CCF and space blanket tent is as warm or warmer than most insulated dog houses.

Lots of options. I don't know that I'd want to bother with pitching a separate tend or tarp for my dogs. I doubt that they'd stay in it as they like to be close and know where I am at night.

The sad part is that I started taking my dogs with me in part because I thought they'd be good at alerting me to something nearby at night. I figured I could sleep easier that way. In reality, the dogs figure I have THEIR BACK, so they sleep right through anything. In their eyes, I'm just basically there to set their bed up and serve dinner.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i have a lot of tyvek. any ideas???
    Tyvek used as a ground cloth and a sit pad would probably work fine down to a certain level. What that level is depends on the CLO rating and R value of your dogs coat and undercoat. Of course when they lay on their insulation, it compresses and is useless.

Seriously, tyvek and a small CCF right by your hammock would be fine. Both of you can share the tarp. If it does get colder, you can either pile some duff or substitute one of the heavier space blankets for the tyvek and possibly fold part of it over the dog.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I tie her leash to a piece of cord and the cord to my wrist. Put a 1/4 inch CCF pad with a fleece blanket under my hammock and Stella Blue sleeps tight. I use my BWWD year round so their is plenty of cover for her. If its raining I close the doors pitch low and she is still fine.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    MEC Scout
    Insulation
    DIY UQ.
    Suspension
    Clark Webbing
    Images

Cool

[QUOTE=wisenber;239469]

"My biggest dog is a husky-shepherd mix. "

Mine is a husky - lab, We went out and at about 0c i found him curled up in my eno singlenest...on my chest.
    I guess he was cold...

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    [QUOTE=Tuniq;239489]
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post

"My biggest dog is a husky-shepherd mix. "

Mine is a husky - lab, We went out and at about 0c i found him curled up in my eno singlenest...on my chest.
    I guess he was cold...
    At 0 C, mine is still panting. At 0 F, she "doesn't mind" me pitching the space blanket over her a bit.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast