Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The HH hammocks are some of the best on the market. The bottom entry is an absolute must for me and so the only hammock I can easily use in the field is an HH. I have mobility issues and can not get out of a top/side loader without assistance. Any special needs you might have is something you really need to think about.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

One more question. What are snake skins?

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Snakeskins are thin long tapered fabric tubes which you slide over your tarp in order to quickly stow or deploy it. When the tarp is inside you have 12' long "snake".
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    HH Asym Deluxe
    Tarp
    Guide Gear® Tarp
    Insulation
    HH system
    Suspension
    trucker's hitch

HH fixes

On my HH I ran into 4 problems, 1. my butt sliding down and opening the velcro so the bugs come in, 2. got wet in storm with regularly supplied fly 3. got cold with weather drop. 4. bugs drilled right through the bottom of the fabric and bit me. Solutions: 1. use a line leveler on the inside line and made sure my feet were equil or above my head when in it. The velcro stayed tight. 2. A 12X12 tarp worked well you can even fold an end or two making a tent over the HH just use a separate ridge line for the tarp. Look up Gear guide tarp in the picture section. 3. Used a windshield reflector under my bag, others have better ideas on this. 4. I finally bought the under cover which solved the problem of bugs, could have just used a full zip sleeping bag and laded on it open I hope some of this helps. I still enjoy my HH and am looking forward to my next camp out.

is the rope system that comes with the hammock good aswell?

The ropes that come with the Hennessy hammock are perfectly serviceable...but most folks here like to fiddle with their gear. The hennessy ropes are often replaced with Whoopieslings.

There are plenty of forum threads (and links to informative videos) available here, talking about hammock suspension, tarps, etc.

Here are three videos that discuss the primary methods of suspending a hammock:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f2Xts3Spsc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPpndtQKWH4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw6P3pHt8KI

The last video discusses Whoopieslings/constrictor suspensions.

As for myself...I have a Hennessy Expedition which is in the process of being modified with the #3 zipper mod by 2Q and ZQ. I've replaced the stock ropes with a whoopiesling on a fixed strap, similar to WLMiller54's setup on the following video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i421GGKOC5Q
    I've used a Hennessy Supershelter for warmth in the past but have decided on a Crowsnest Underquilt from http://theperfecttrees.com for future trips. I've replaced the stock tarp with a MacCat Deluxe from http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/

The zipper mod, underquilt and tarp were all spendy optional purchases and you should be aware that the Hennessy Expedition hammock worked fine right out of the bag. My mods were mostly intended to lighten my load and make setup quicker and easier. I also use lots of Nite Ize figure 9 cord tighteners so that I don't need to spend time tying knots.

I, for one, am quite happy with the Hennesy Expedition. If you can find any hammock campers in your area, most folks are happy to show off their gear. Maybe that will help you decide on a model/purchase. No matter what you choose, you have good times ahead.

Good luck!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I started with the Asym Expedition. It was a very comfortable sleeping hammock. I had the zipper mod done, bought a larger tarp, and bought larger tree straps. Then upgraded to a Warbonnet Blackbird. If you're going to do all of that, and you will, skip the first step and go with the Blackbird. You get a hammock that's already easy to get in and out of, already has long, easily adjustable straps, plus you get a sleeve to slide your pad and a nifty little shelf.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i had a HH expedition...there an ok first hammock...
    upgrade the tarp and get a zipper mod....the bottom entry gets old quick

and put on a set of whoopie slings and you will be ready to go

one thing i like abou the HH is that is comes with a tarp...so for someone just starting out...it's a nice touch
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlespaul View Post
    one thing i like abou the HH is that is comes with a tarp...so for someone just starting out...it's a nice touch
    YMMV but the stock tarp for the HH is not a beginner item IMO. It really ramps up the learning curve to get that tarp properly hung in bad weather. If you are like most people you will want a larger tarp. The stock tarp is perfectly serviceable but it is small and has its own quirks that need to be followed for good coverage. Fro long distance hikes it is light but there are lighter tarps out there in the market place.

I am a very avid user of the HH products, _but_ that's because they meet my needs better than other hammocks. Get to a group hang and check out the collection of stuff you'll find there. You'll learn a lot and make a more informed decision.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I own a HH as well; these are my thoughts.

Stock tarp:
    - fine for sleeping in most weather (as long as it is pitched low)
    - horrible for 'living' under
    - makes a great weathershield for under your hammock

(I was upgraded to the large Hex tarp for free) The Hex is huge and great. Offers lots of 'living room' as well as weather protection.

Bottom entry:
    - great for bug protection
    - makes getting at your gear difficult
    - 'making your bed' before you get in is impossible

I have gotten the 2QZQ mod #2 done, and I love it.

Suspension:
    -stock ropes are fine, just annoying to adjust.

I have upgraded to WhoOpie slings, and I could not get over how much lighter the hammock was. I do not care about the weight of my gear, but after I swapped out the stock ropes and felt the difference, I was turned into a believer.

I have my eyes on 2 hammocks to upgrade to:
    Bridge hammock,
    or a Warbonnet BlackBird.

I need to test-nap before I make the next step.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

Rug.

Hang On!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast