Hammock
    Hennessy Exped Assym/ ENO Dbl
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/DIY SPE
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

HH Expedition Asym Zipper Mod

I just got a new HH Expedition hammock and I can't wait to use it but I have a concern. I plan on using it for 3 season backpacking in the high sierras where it gets down to 30 degrees. I'd love to get an underquilt but can't figure out how to use one with a HH hammock, then I found the 2QZQ zipper mods post and wa-law ! problem solved.

Am I getting too excited over nothing or should I just suck it up and take a SPE and a wally pad?

http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/index.html

Down to 30F? This is all you need:

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Quilt%20Sets.htm

Before you gasp at the price, understand this is, more than likely what you WILL own if you keep your Hennessy. So, if you buy a bunch of other stuff that doesn't work nearly as well, most of that money will have been basically thrown away.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonysaudiojournal View Post
    Am I getting too excited over nothing or should I just suck it up and take a SPE and a wally pad?
    IMO you are not getting over excited. If I didn't require the bottom entry I would have the zipper mod done as well.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    The zipper mod opens up a lot of possibilities with the HH. As far as UQ's go, if you can afford 'em, get em'! Pads work but undo some of the comfort benefits of a hammock.

Also, for others seeing this, there are UQ's made by Jacks-r-Better which specifically have a slit in them to work with Hennessy Hammocks. Take-a-knee provided a link above.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow 20/Lynx
    Suspension
    Spider/Poly straps
    I use a Yeti with my Expedition and it works great. Usually I just put my fleece under my legs.

Hammock
    Expedition Asym with zipper mod
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    Super Shelter
    Suspension
    DC's,AHE strap sys
    I got down to 35 with a walmart blue pad and my 20 degree sleeping bag, I was pretty warm most of the night. rear was alittle cool the next morning. I now use the SS with my HH and it works good for me. when you put the space blanket in there you can really feel the heat. I woke a sweating on a trip couple weeks ago.

And yes I love the zipper mod on my HH. it makes it so much easier.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonysaudiojournal View Post
    I'd love to get an underquilt but can't figure out how to use one with a HH hammock, then I found the 2QZQ zipper mods post and wa-law ! problem solved.
    Almost all underquilts have stretchy shock cord suspensions. On a HH, that allows you to slide the quilt aside, and use the bottom entry portal. When you then lift your feet into the hammock, the quilt snaps back into place. And it works very similar when exiting...just brush the quilt aside with either your foot or hand.

The Zipper Mods are indeed very nice, though!
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Almost all underquilts have stretchy shock cord suspensions. On a HH, that allows you to slide the quilt aside, and use the bottom entry portal. When you then lift your feet into the hammock, the quilt snaps back into place. And it works very similar when exiting...just brush the quilt aside with either your foot or hand.

The Zipper Mods are indeed very nice, though!
    The SS OCF pad designed and produced by Hennessy still needs to be pushed aside to use the entry slit. To me, this negates the advantage of the bottom entry on the SS and proves the underquilt isn't that much of an inconvenience. I haven't tried the JRB Nest yet, but it seems ideal if moving an underquilt or pad is too much of a hassle.

Hammock
    Expedition Asym with zipper mod
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    Super Shelter
    Suspension
    DC's,AHE strap sys
    get the zipper mod and you can use whatever warmth system that you like. no need to push anything aside to get in through the bottom.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps/MS
    If you're talking about the 'High' Sierra, it will get down below 30* many more times than you'd think...
    UQ is the way to go IMHO... I quickly found out that pads are not for me - as Knotty said, it negates a lot of the 'comfort' factor of a hammock...
    I use a JrB Nest UQ, which has matching slit for HH bottom entry - which you WILL (or 'should') still want to use in the height of Sierra skeeter season!! - you did say "3 season" after all!! ;-)
    The Nest can also be supplemented with a cut down emergency space blanket as a heat reflector (inserted between UQ & hammock) - but being a very warm sleeper compared to most folks, I rarely use it (but it is a very low weight & volume supplement to carry for those times when it IS needed)... I also have a short NeoAir inflatable pad which has a heat reflecting layer in the middle - it goes with me if I think I may have to go to ground at times (& use it uninflated in the hammock for those 'cold' nights)...
    You might even want to consider the JrB Winter Nest or Mt. Washington 3 UQs for the High Sierra if you're not a warm sleeper (MW3 doesn't have HH matching slit, however - but as angrysparrow noted, it's not 'required')... UQs can be opened up on the ends for air circulation if you're too warm - but as an old saying goes, it's much easier to get cooler when you're hot than it is to get warmer when you're COLD...
    If you can afford it, get an UQ - more than likely you will get one eventually, as Take-a-knee implied... ;-) I still use a 30* sleeping bag for 'TQ' - 1. because I already had it, and 2. in case I have to go to ground in some of the high treeless basins...
    You can still hang in some of those treeless areas if you search around long enough - and your treehuggers aren't too short to wrap around the boulders!

Have fun with it!! You'll love the zipper mod!

Jim (PITA)

• + New Posts