Images

finally cut my ties with HH- done deal at last

No, I don't mean I quit using them, I mean I "cut" the rope. And I didn't really cut it, I untied it. To avoid burning that bridge. Thanks to the generous help of many folks here- most particularly on this project AngrySparrow, and great pics from Griz and others, and advice from lots of you folks, I finally decided to cut open the end cover on my HH and have a look. I compared that to the pics on line, and took a few knot pics of my own, to help avoid burning bridges.

Then I started in on untieing the stock HH rope, which was a bit of a battle, since I have been laying in it on and off for a year. Needless to say, it was quite tight. But after a while she was loosened up, and replaced with a short piece of spyderline, being careful to redo the knot as close as possible to the original, including making sure to thread the rope thru the structural ridgeline loop.

It really didn't take very long, and I soon had it tied back on my cinch buckle. It worked just as quick and secure as the first time I tried it, with the stock rope. Now if I decide I want to do the other end I won't hesitate. In the mean time, I'll keep on experimenting with the buckle on the head end and the nylon cleat on the foot end, and figure out which one I want to use on my upcoming trip. Or if I want to stick with current setup of cleat on one end, buckle on the other.

Boy, set up sure is fast now. I can finally actually achieve those 2 minute ( or less ) setup times that are supposed to be doable with the original setup. I know some folks could do 3 minutes or less, but I never could seem to pull it off with the huggers and rope. ESPECIALLY considering readjustments of height, centering between the trees and tightness. Good on yall that can, though!

Next project will probably be a biner in the ridgeline. What cord do you guys ( who do this ) replace the HH ridgeline with? Do you need maybe 300 or 400 lbs break strength? Or do you not replace it, and just cut it and tie in a biner?
    Bill

PS
    Actually, my very next project will probably be to hook up the Harbor Freight webbing. I had to go to Memphis Sat, so since I was nearby any way, I stopped in HF and they had the 1500 lb ratchet straps foe $3 and change! That may have been a sale. It said $5.99, but they didn't ring me up that amount. So now I've got to get a hacksaw or bolt cutter and cut the hooks off. I love that 1500 lbs, but that yellow kind of sucks. Maybe I can slip my skins over most of it.

More good news. I was getting concerned about the weight. But now that I have the HH rope off, I measured the rope plus stock hugger. On my imprecise scales, the 15 feet of Speer 1" webbing appears to be the same weight as the rope and hugger it replaces. Looks like either one is between 3 and 4 oz, so it's about a wash. Add app 1 oz for either the buckle or cleat. Of course there is the biner weight, but I carry those anyway, and I don't really have to use them to get many of the benefits of buckles.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-13-2007 at 17:30.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I'm glad it worked well for you. Now you can make the most informed decision about which method you like best.

I also cut my HH ridgeline for purposes of more comfortable lounging use. I didn't replace the ridgeline, but rather just cut the stock one, tied a couple of bowline knots in the loose ends and connected them together with a quicklink. A mini-biner would work just as well, but I had a quicklink handy.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I didn't replace the ridgeline, but rather just cut the stock one, tied a couple of bowline knots in the loose ends and connected them together with a ...A mini-biner would work just as well, but I had a quicklink handy.
    Good to know!

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Congrats, BillyBob. The thought of cutting or removing the stock rope is scarier than actually doing it. It's difficult to modify gear that you've paid good money for. You expect it to do what you bought it to do without any changes. And it should do what you bought it to do but maybe not the best it could do with some minor mods.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

• + New Posts