Tarp
    UG WINTER PALACE
    Insulation
    ZREST
    Suspension
    WEB AND BUCKLES
    Images

Question OK..need HELP badly - UL set up

Well I tried one last time to go to the ground and bought a Moment TT and neoair, my back couldn't handle it. So I sold both and now I need to get a UL set up and fast. I am doing an AT section from NOC(Nantahala NC) to NewFound Gap TN, total 70 miles in 5 1/2 days starting April 29th.
    So I was looking at the HH Hyperlite to carry and OES tarp.
    But can someone recommend the lightest setup NON-CUBAN(i'm not rich) that I can get before the 29th?

Please all input is appreciated.
    I'm 6' and 200 pounds even to give an idea of my size.

This is actually my last attempt in trying to hike and enjoy it like I used to.
    Between the bad back and bad left knee at age 38, I am getting very depressed and I want to stay positive and motivated...but I feel like I have hit a wall.

Thanks for any input you have..sorry for the boo whoo post

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Nano 7 with Dynaglide whoopie slings by Opie. Make some tree straps from the ratchet straps I use. For a tarp use an Ettowah outfitters 10'x6' tarp.

Hammock: 4.9 ounces
    Whoopie Slings: .6 ounces
    Straps: 1.5 ounces
    Tarp with strings: 10.8 ounces
    Toggles: use sticks
    4 stakes needed: ~1.3 ounces for 4 MSR needle stakes.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    WARBONNET RIDGERUNNER
    Tarp
    UG WINTER PALACE
    Insulation
    ZREST
    Suspension
    WEB AND BUCKLES
    Images
    SGT is the Nano long enough for comfort overnight? I was looking at the Nano and it seemed like a nap/squat hammock.Also what do you recommend for under insulation? I have a quilt for inside. Thanks for your input also

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GADGETEER View Post
    SGT is the Nano long enough for comfort overnight? I was looking at the Nano and it seemed like a nap/squat hammock.Also what do you recommend for under insulation? I have a quilt for inside. Thanks for your input also
    I'm 5'8" and I think it is long enough for me. You would have to be the judge of that. I think there is more room in one than my mesh hammock, and Skidsteer who is about 6' thinks the mesh one is big enough for sleeping. I was trying to think of the lightest commercially available hammock out there. It looks like it is 3 yards long by 45" wide material that the bottom is made from.

If you are willing to sew, you could make your own. They take about 10 minutes to sew. The rest of the parts are still the same.

For insulation that is light, cheap, and easy to get I recommend going to an Army Surplus store and find one of the foam mats. They come in 24" widths. I also recommend trimming the bottom end down a little but leaving the top end about the same. I can't recall the weight, but my oldest son uses this exact set up.
    NO SNIVELING!

Hammock
    WARBONNET RIDGERUNNER
    Tarp
    UG WINTER PALACE
    Insulation
    ZREST
    Suspension
    WEB AND BUCKLES
    Images
    Thanks SGT, time to check out your recommendations. Anyone else please add.

I wish I had the time to sew.

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    With my "tree straps" you would have to do some sewing to get the best straps out of them. Otherwise you will have to order a set from someone. If you order Dynaglide whoopies from Opie I think he also sells straps.
    NO SNIVELING!

Hammock
    WARBONNET RIDGERUNNER
    Tarp
    UG WINTER PALACE
    Insulation
    ZREST
    Suspension
    WEB AND BUCKLES
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Dynaglide whoopies from Opie I think he also sells straps.
    Exactly what I'm going to do

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    I'm 5'10", 165lbs... and find the Nano7 size to be too small for my comfort level. Sure it's light, but that doesn't cut it for me when I find I can't sleep in it. That said, if you find the size works for you - it's a great way to go to shave the ounces!

Is mosquito netting important? If so, a netted hammock is lighter than the same hammock w/o net and having to add a net sock/tube or similar solution. Something to consider.

Warbonnet's traveler (non-netted hammock) is 12.5oz (1.1oz fabric) or 16.5oz (1.7oz fabric) - including the rope suspension. Something like that is going to be far more comfortable than the compressed size of the Nano7.

If you can find someone here to whip one up for you real quick, you could have a very light 1.1oz full sized (5'wide, 10-11ft long) hammock for a fair price. I'd offer but I'm afraid I've got too many irons in the fire right now, with a trip starting this Friday.

This is one I threw together and weighs 16oz, including the attached bugnet w/full lengh zipper. Hammock body is 5' wide, 11' long with 1.6oz ripstop.
    HH-Clone 11ft.jpg
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    WARBONNET RIDGERUNNER
    Tarp
    UG WINTER PALACE
    Insulation
    ZREST
    Suspension
    WEB AND BUCKLES
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    I'm 5'10", 165lbs... and find the Nano7 size to be too small for my comfort level.
    Yeah, I am going to go with something bigger after doing research on the Nano, I agree.
    Is mosquito netting important? If so, a netted hammock is lighter than the same hammock w/o net and having to add a net sock/tube or similar solution. Something to consider.
    I was in limbo on this, but with not having such a weight difference of having one and not having one, I'm going to get one that has the net already on it.

Warbonnet's traveler (non-netted hammock) is 12.5oz (1.1oz fabric) or 16.5oz (1.7oz fabric) - including the rope suspension. Something like that is going to be far more comfortable than the compressed size of the Nano7.
    I see that th WBBB is VERY popular and I can't understand why the big hupla is over it, even after the research. Please no offense Brandon.

If you can find someone here to whip one up for you real quick, you could have a very light 1.1oz full sized (5'wide, 10-11ft long) hammock for a fair price. I'd offer but I'm afraid I've got too many irons in the fire right now, with a trip starting this Friday.

This is one I threw together and weighs 16oz, including the attached bugnet w/full lengh zipper. Hammock body is 5' wide, 11' long with 1.6oz ripstop.

Man that is nice. I wish I had the talent that you guys/gals have with sewing. I can sew, just not the greatest
    HH-Clone 11ft.jpg
    Thanks for your input sclittlefield!

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    I'm 5'10", 165lbs... and find the Nano7 size to be too small for my comfort level. Sure it's light, but that doesn't cut it for me when I find I can't sleep in it. That said, if you find the size works for you - it's a great way to go to shave the ounces![/ATTACH]
    I know what you mean. I think it is doable if you need a light hammock in a pinch, but it isn't my main hammock choice either - hence the recommend possible DIY. My DIY hammock is 3 yards by 60" made from Thru-hiker 1.1 ounce. The body of the hammock is 7.0 ounces and I'm working on a bugnet solution around ~3 ounces.
    NO SNIVELING!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast