Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    I guess I'm a little dense but I still don't understand the purpose of the ring. With a hammock such as mine why can't you run the fixed loop through the channel, run the adjustable end through the fixed loop, cinch it up and still have the adjustable end permanently attached to the tree hugger. It seems like the ring is simply an extra attachment point....why not make it direct? What the heck am I missing here?

Miguel
    You CAN rig it as you suggest. One reason to insert a ring is that the ring provides a non-wicking link so that water wicking down the sling does not make to the hammock. There are other ways to intervene in the water path, but the ring is a good one that is more "esthetic" than a drip-string IMO.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    I guess I'm a little dense but I still don't understand the purpose of the ring. With a hammock such as mine why can't you run the fixed loop through the channel, run the adjustable end through the fixed loop, cinch it up and still have the adjustable end permanently attached to the tree hugger. It seems like the ring is simply an extra attachment point....why not make it direct? What the heck am I missing here?

Miguel
    Beep hit it. Its simply a water stop. Just one more option. Its taken from another member that used a ring at the sling/strap connection point. This places the water stop outside the cover of the tarp. Having the ring closer to the hammock under the tarp should divert all the water away from the hammock.

A drip string does the same thing...

And the way you describe attaching a sling is exactly how it usually gets done.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Thanks guys for clearing that up. I guess I was just overlooking the obvious.

In any event I think I'll give the Whoopies a go. And yes...it is fun to say Whoopie!

Miguel

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    My whoopies are about 5', I think (maybe shorter), and I have a variety of straps of different lengths. Most often, in heavily treed areas, I use 4' straps. Sometimes the limited length has meant I have to be more picky. In No. Arizona in areas with old growth Ponderosa Pines, it can take a while to find trees that will work, but I haven't had a problem. Good sites are found, not made, and having shorter suspension just means I have to be a good detective.

I guess I don't mind the process -- its kind of fun. Packing light has its challenges, but they are often part of the reward. You can pack 12' straps and never worry about length, I guess.

It's not always the size of your straps, but how you use them that counts.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12