Darien or Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG '12 Dyneema w/d
    Insulation
    UGQ/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Becket/soft shack
    Mike,
    I'm interested to see what you decide and hope you will return at some point to let us know how it worked out for you. I'm in the refining gear stage for a '24 thru starting around the same time and have a very similar set up to you. (20 deg TQ and UQ). This year I picked up a dyneema 12' with doors as part of this effort. I'm hoping that will provide a bit of comfort at a minimal weight penalty. (looks like a 2.4oz difference)
    I've only had it out a couple of times so far and trying to refine my setup/tear down efficiency. Thus far I'm finding no real "penalty" vs. my older tarps.
    I've been following the "wind on the AT" thread here at HF with interest and it is one looking at too. Lots of experience to tap into here.

Good luck on your Thru and enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by MNMike88 View Post
    What do ya'll think will give me the best warmth-to-weight upgrade...
    If you've got fleece and wool layers, hat, insulated booties and such, you don't need to add much, IMO. An underquilt protector can help with windy conditions for sure, but I wouldn't spend $125 on one. The other thing I swear by is a piece of 1/8 inch closed cell foam pad. Mine came from Mountain Laurel Designs, but the same thing is also available from Gossamer Gear, called Thinlight pad, I believe. That three ounce pad is my favorite and most versatile piece of gear.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

the CCF foam pad is an interesting idea. I carried one on the PCT until it gradually got so shredded by brush it was swiss cheese (likely less of an issue on the AT and I probably could have stored it internally). In terms of warmth to weight it would probably be hard to beat. Do you just put it on top of hammock, under you? I've never used a pad while hanging, but it might also be a good backup for emergencies (sleeping in a shelter with a storm, gear malfunction etc.).

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Since it looks like you're not too opposed to spending money, why not get a 40° partial UQ and a HG winter palace. The UQ will do more for you than an UQP will. The winter palace will give you better coverage than either of your current tarps and you could sell one to recoup some of the cost. Dream Hammock sells an UQP for $55 if you go that route. A to cover isn't a bad idea, but a clothing item you're already carrying can do roughly the same thing. I'd hang the fleece or puffer on the ridgeline for warmth before sleeping in it.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    Since it looks like you're not too opposed to spending money, why not get a 40° partial UQ and a HG winter palace. The UQ will do more for you than an UQP will. The winter palace will give you better coverage than either of your current tarps and you could sell one to recoup some of the cost. Dream Hammock sells an UQP for $55 if you go that route. A to cover isn't a bad idea, but a clothing item you're already carrying can do roughly the same thing. I'd hang the fleece or puffer on the ridgeline for warmth before sleeping in it.
    My thoughts are similar...

The lightest warmth is always 'more insulation' rather than insulation supplements...

Clothing... if you are carrying the clothing for clothing's sake... use it. But adding any piece of clothing to supplement your sleeping gear is always heavier than adding 10* to your quilt(s).
    So adding a pound of clothing to supplement your quilts is not as effective as simply bumping your quilt a few ounces.

Protectors... as Goobie points out... a slightly bigger tarp for better coverage generally weighs less than adding socks or UQP which are really just another shell layer.
    For example... while putting a wind shell over your fleece will stop wind from cutting through your fleece... adding a wind shell over your windshell (UQP over your quilt) is not helping much.

AT thru... means different things to different people. But let's say a full three season hike. IE- winter start- three season spring conditions- then full summer and into fall three season conditions.
    Really... it's three different kits. As in if you were taking three different week long trips at those times of year you'd pack different stuff.

From a budget standpoint...
    20* sets cover the three season trips.
    To get a winter set... add a 30* partial length UQ and stack it over your 20*.
    Add a 45* synthetic top quilt to your 20* top quilt OR supplement with your clothing you are probably planning to use at camp.
    To get a summer set... send home your 20* sets and use your 30* partial length and 45* top quilt.

So you basicaly get a summer set, and a three season set you then combine for a 'free' winter set.

Is it the perfect winter set... nope. But do you have a full ''thru" hiker kit out of the least amount of pieces... Yes.

From a persnickety hard nosed practical and not very romantic standpoint....
    Consider a later start. Most people flounder quite a bit in a typical northbound hike. NOBODY makes good miles in winter. It's cold, you wear out, daylight is limited, everything takes longer with cold fingers and on top of that you're working on building up your trail legs in the smokies region (plus the 100 or so miles to either side) which is fairly tough terrain to slog through when you've got snow flying. Your gear gets wet, heavier and every week or so you find you need a double zero or laundrymat day to dry out and warm up.

Long story short... do that same 300 ish miles in late April or May... and you might find it takes you half as long to hike it.
    300 miles averaging 8 miles per day with zero days... 38 days
    300 miles averaging 15 miles per day is about 20 days with less days lost for freak storms that waylay folks for a day or two that tend to crop up in addition to normal zero days.

So very long story summed up... might make more sense to simply skip deep winter and hit the trail moving when the weather breaks.
    Yar... those early NOBO hero stories and week long layovers in gaitlinberg are fun to talk about. But they sure chew up trail time, budget, and gear pretty quickly.
    You're also fighting the herd and the trail.
    We haven't even slipped in the pig ugly and simple truth that these conditions will wash out many a would be hiker...
    And even if you're from hardier stock; injury is a sneaky ***** and more likely to strike when you're wearing bulkier clothes, pushing daylight, and scrambling on half iced up trail over ground too frozen to drain the snowmelt . So even if you don't actually fall.. it's tough to care for your feet in those conditions, at best you'll lose time caring for your tootsies, at worst you'll chew up hunks of blister or even a heel that will send you off trail to fix.

The lightest gear is the gear you don't have to take.
    The SUL spiral can also kick in...
    Lighter gear (and more daylight) means more HOURS per day can be hiked.
    More hours per day moving, is more miles per day covered.
    More miles per day covered, is less food carried between resupply.
    Less food carried and no winter insulation carried is a smaller pack...
    A smaller pack is a lighter pack and easier to shoulder all day...
    And repeat.
    Each trip around the spriral tightens into that thru hiker dream of endless days of effortless walking that deep down really is all UL hiking is about at it's core.

In april/may conditions...
    Start talking 20 miles per day (2 mph for 10 hours moving) in 12-14 hours of daylight... and suddenly that first 300 miles most folks spend 6 weeks punishing themselves turns into 5 days on, one day off three times and you're out in under three weeks feeling good and rolling into trail days with much more money in your pocket and ready to enjoy better trail, smaller crowds, and easier movement. So if you do a little work ahead of time on fitness; you can still be a true NOBO and work backwards from Trail days to establish an earlier start date that leaves you outside the worst of the bubble at the start but right in the sweet spot after the first 500.

You can always tack on the Long Trail or turn around and hike more of Maine if it wasn't enough time out.
    Fall in New England with 1500 miles of trail legs built up is one of the most enjoyable outdoor experiences on the planet.
    March/April in Georgia/TN/NC means you miss all the spring beauty of the area in exchange for seeing it in about the worst time of year to be there.

Hike your own hike of course. But might be a better head scratching excercise to consider a later start over complex gear tricks to solve problems that father time and mother nature will resolve if you work with her a bit.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I would probably focus on more insulation and protection from the wind.

For the wind…

4.6 oz add one door to your hex tarp - sometimes referred to as a door kit or Grizz Beak. Looks like Dutch sells one for 4.6 oz but it’s out of stock. Might not be a bad DIY but so don’t know. I see Warbonnet also sells one.

5 oz - I’d also consider an UQP. 2qzq also used to sell these - now Dutch has their stuff. $50

I’d also plan on camping in more sheltered locations. The above items will help but I’m guessing the width of your tarp will still allow a fair amount of wind in if it’s gusting.

For insulation….

2-3 oz Add a Nalgene bottle that you can put hot water into to warm you up at night

https://sectionhiker.com/backpacking...tles%20instead.

I like others suggestion to add something like 3/4 length 40* UQ. This would be good to use when it’s hotter out and would give you addl warmth for cold nights in the Smokies when added to your Wookie

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    My thoughts are similar...

The lightest warmth is always 'more insulation' rather than insulation supplements...

Clothing... if you are carrying the clothing for clothing's sake... use it. But adding any piece of clothing to supplement your sleeping gear is always heavier than adding 10* to your quilt(s).
    So adding a pound of clothing to supplement your quilts is not as effective as simply bumping your quilt a few ounces.

Protectors... as Goobie points out... a slightly bigger tarp for better coverage generally weighs less than adding socks or UQP which are really just another shell layer.
    For example... while putting a wind shell over your fleece will stop wind from cutting through your fleece... adding a wind shell over your windshell (UQP over your quilt) is not helping much.

AT thru... means different things to different people. But let's say a full three season hike. IE- winter start- three season spring conditions- then full summer and into fall three season conditions.
    Really... it's three different kits. As in if you were taking three different week long trips at those times of year you'd pack different stuff.

From a budget standpoint...
    20* sets cover the three season trips.
    To get a winter set... add a 30* partial length UQ and stack it over your 20*.
    Add a 45* synthetic top quilt to your 20* top quilt OR supplement with your clothing you are probably planning to use at camp.
    To get a summer set... send home your 20* sets and use your 30* partial length and 45* top quilt.

So you basicaly get a summer set, and a three season set you then combine for a 'free' winter set.

Is it the perfect winter set... nope. But do you have a full ''thru" hiker kit out of the least amount of pieces... Yes.

From a persnickety hard nosed practical and not very romantic standpoint....
    Consider a later start. Most people flounder quite a bit in a typical northbound hike. NOBODY makes good miles in winter. It's cold, you wear out, daylight is limited, everything takes longer with cold fingers and on top of that you're working on building up your trail legs in the smokies region (plus the 100 or so miles to either side) which is fairly tough terrain to slog through when you've got snow flying. Your gear gets wet, heavier and every week or so you find you need a double zero or laundrymat day to dry out and warm up.

Long story short... do that same 300 ish miles in late April or May... and you might find it takes you half as long to hike it.
    300 miles averaging 8 miles per day with zero days... 38 days
    300 miles averaging 15 miles per day is about 20 days with less days lost for freak storms that waylay folks for a day or two that tend to crop up in addition to normal zero days.

So very long story summed up... might make more sense to simply skip deep winter and hit the trail moving when the weather breaks.
    Yar... those early NOBO hero stories and week long layovers in gaitlinberg are fun to talk about. But they sure chew up trail time, budget, and gear pretty quickly.
    You're also fighting the herd and the trail.
    We haven't even slipped in the pig ugly and simple truth that these conditions will wash out many a would be hiker...
    And even if you're from hardier stock; injury is a sneaky ***** and more likely to strike when you're wearing bulkier clothes, pushing daylight, and scrambling on half iced up trail over ground too frozen to drain the snowmelt . So even if you don't actually fall.. it's tough to care for your feet in those conditions, at best you'll lose time caring for your tootsies, at worst you'll chew up hunks of blister or even a heel that will send you off trail to fix.

The lightest gear is the gear you don't have to take.
    The SUL spiral can also kick in...
    Lighter gear (and more daylight) means more HOURS per day can be hiked.
    More hours per day moving, is more miles per day covered.
    More miles per day covered, is less food carried between resupply.
    Less food carried and no winter insulation carried is a smaller pack...
    A smaller pack is a lighter pack and easier to shoulder all day...
    And repeat.
    Each trip around the spriral tightens into that thru hiker dream of endless days of effortless walking that deep down really is all UL hiking is about at it's core.

In april/may conditions...
    Start talking 20 miles per day (2 mph for 10 hours moving) in 12-14 hours of daylight... and suddenly that first 300 miles most folks spend 6 weeks punishing themselves turns into 5 days on, one day off three times and you're out in under three weeks feeling good and rolling into trail days with much more money in your pocket and ready to enjoy better trail, smaller crowds, and easier movement. So if you do a little work ahead of time on fitness; you can still be a true NOBO and work backwards from Trail days to establish an earlier start date that leaves you outside the worst of the bubble at the start but right in the sweet spot after the first 500.

You can always tack on the Long Trail or turn around and hike more of Maine if it wasn't enough time out.
    Fall in New England with 1500 miles of trail legs built up is one of the most enjoyable outdoor experiences on the planet.
    March/April in Georgia/TN/NC means you miss all the spring beauty of the area in exchange for seeing it in about the worst time of year to be there.

Hike your own hike of course. But might be a better head scratching excercise to consider a later start over complex gear tricks to solve problems that father time and mother nature will resolve if you work with her a bit.
    This! Just Bill, while rather long winded, knows what he's talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    4.6 oz add one door to your hex tarp - sometimes referred to as a door kit or Grizz Beak. Looks like Dutch sells one for 4.6 oz but it’s out of stock. Might not be a bad DIY but so don’t know.
    Hammock Gear winter palace weighs just over 9oz, for the whole tarp! Dutch's hex weighs just over 6.5oz, add the doors and the palace is better bang for the buck I would say. Less fuss than door kits too.

Images
    Hey All,

I am eyeing a potential AT thru-hike starting early to mid March. I thru-hiked the PCT and used a hammock for the 2nd half. I'm looking at potential upgrades/swaps to lower my comfort rating for those cold nights that might accompany an early start - based on my research potentially down to the teens. What do ya'll think will give me the best warmth-to-weight upgrade (with an eye on cost) to get me through the first 4+ weeks? I'm generally a warm/middle sleeper - I took my below setup but with a 40 deg top quilt down to around 38 and slept comfortably.

My current gear:

Warbonnet XLC
    Dutch Dyneema Hex Tarp
    20 deg Wooki UQ
    20 deg EE Revelation L/XW Top Quilt

Options:

- Swap to 13' Superfly (already owned, +16 oz, downside: its huge and a pain to set up)
    - Purchase Winter Top Cover ($95, +1.4 oz)
    - Purchase UQ Protector ($125, + 7 oz)
    - Purchase Top + UQ Pro ($195, + 8.4 oz)
    - Add S2S reactor plus compact liner (already owned, + 9 oz)
    - What other options you got?

I recognize that sleep clothing is an important part of the equation, but a separate discussion. I have EE synthetic booties, full wool base layer, fleece hat to sleep in.

Thanks for your thoughts!
    Nice. What year did you hike the PCT? I did it in 2020. I carried my hammock the whole trail, just had a pad as backup in the desert. I bolstered my sleep by wearing my puffy jacket and puffy pants to sleep. Adds a lot of warmth and I already carried them. Made everyone in camp jelly with my puffy pants. Usually lighter than long johns but waaay warmer. I have the EE synthetic pants. I don't like their quilts but they make nice clothes. I just carry them, a lightweight fleece, and a a very lightweight wool t shirt to sleep in. I don't carry base layers and I sleep in my hiking shorts.

the CCF foam pad is an interesting idea...Do you just put it on top of hammock, under you?
    Yes, exactly that. Mine is 40 inches long and can be used at that length or folded in half for a 20x20 inch square to keep my torso warm if I've got a cold spot on my back. It's also handy as a sit pad during the day. If I don't need it underneath me at night, I've also used it in the footbox of my top quilt for foot warmth. About the only negatives are that you will sweat a bit with it under you, and as you noted, it's pretty easy to tear the thing up. Mine has developed some holes, but I've had it several years now and wouldn't willingly go without it.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch and HG
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Maybe watch Outdoor Adventures (Frozen), who hiked the trail using a hammock. He has videos about the gear he used etc. might be very helpful.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast