Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Dubs View Post
    I used the 2.5oz XP insulation for both of my quilts. I found it to be somewhat uneven in thickness. I also ended up with about 18" of unused insulation, which I added to the foot of one quilt. A little extra warmth there would be a good thing!

TWS
    I was also disappointed with the uniformity of thickness of the 3.7. It is listed a .9 inches but looks to be a range of half an inch to over an inch. It's pretty apparent some areas have more "layers" than others.

I haven't decided what to do with the leftover pieces, I like your idea.

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronjreed View Post
    What is CLO?
    The standard amount of insulation required to keep a resting person warm in a windless room at 70 °F (21.1°C) is equal to one Clo. Clo units can be converted to R-value by multiplying Clo by 0.88 and R-value can be converted to Clo by multiplying R-value by 1.136. (Copied from Wikipedia)

You can search Backpackinglight.com, thru-hiker.com. I know that Ayce has a really good article on it, but sorry I cannot find it right now.
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Good News , I ordered my climashield XP today and my wife will help me finish my new cat tarp, insulated hammock, and top quilt after Christmas. I bought her a new serger for Christmas (don't tell her yet ), and I know that she will be in a sewing mood. I have really lucked out at wal-mart lately finding around 20 yards of various colored 1.1 sil. So, hopefully soon I will have some pics and test reports to tell yall how the 5oz climashield is working.
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Quote Originally Posted by Preacha Man View Post
    The standard amount of insulation required to keep a resting person warm in a windless room at 70 °F (21.1°C) is equal to one Clo. Clo units can be converted to R-value by multiplying Clo by 0.88 and R-value can be converted to Clo by multiplying R-value by 1.136. (Copied from Wikipedia)

You can search Backpackinglight.com, thru-hiker.com. I know that Ayce has a really good article on it, but sorry I cannot find it right now.
    CLO doesn't directly convert because it is based on a human testers comfort level relative to a number of layers of clothing. 1 CLO is basicly one layer of clothing.
    R values are actual measured rated of conducted heat transfer (which also is lacking because it doesn't account for convection and radient loses)

the closed cell foams range from 5-7 R per inch, usually r5. so a 1/4" ccf pad is usually about an R1. 1/4" ccf pad is in no way equal to one layer of clothing. so be careful mixing CLO and R.

Hammock
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
    CLO doesn't directly convert because it is based on a human testers comfort level relative to a number of layers of clothing. 1 CLO is basicly one layer of clothing.
    R values are actual measured rated of conducted heat transfer (which also is lacking because it doesn't account for convection and radient loses)

the closed cell foams range from 5-7 R per inch, usually r5. so a 1/4" ccf pad is usually about an R1. 1/4" ccf pad is in no way equal to one layer of clothing. so be careful mixing CLO and R.
    Thanks for the clarification, I copied that from wikipedia. Yours makes much better sense.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacha Man View Post
    Good News , I ordered my climashield XP today and my wife will help me finish my new cat tarp, insulated hammock, and top quilt after Christmas. I bought her a new serger for Christmas (don't tell her yet ), and I know that she will be in a sewing mood. I have really lucked out at wal-mart lately finding around 20 yards of various colored 1.1 sil. So, hopefully soon I will have some pics and test reports to tell yall how the 5oz climashield is working.
    New sewing machine huh. Preacha Man....you are a sly dog! I've had the materials for my underquilt for about a month now and my wife has yet to commence sewing. Maybe I shoud have asked Santa for a new wife for Xmas.

Miguel

Hammock
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Okay, So I ditched the idea of making an insulated hammock. Instead, I got my wife to make be a bottom quilt. It is big (I like to stay warm) , It is a little over 6'X4'. It has 1 continuous layer of 5oz climashield XP, and has another layer from the butt to the head.

I tried it last night with my single layer 5oz climashield XP top quilt. The temp dropped down to 16F, and I was warm. I actually woke myself up at 4am because I was snoring. I was wearing 2 pairs of regular socks, my jeans, undershirt, fleece jacket, and my son's spiderman stocking cap. After I got it fully adjusted everything was great. I was really surprised that the top quilt kept me warm to 16F, as it is only rated to 20F. I had a great night, but went in at 4am (when I woke myself from snoring), to check the temp. I do not know the weight yet, but it feels ok. I like the colors too, OD green.

Dwight

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Thanks for the update. Looks toasty. So you had two layers of the 5 oz. on the bottom and one on top?

Hammock
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
    Thanks for the update. Looks toasty. So you had two layers of the 5 oz. on the bottom and one on top?
    I had one layer in my top quilt, and I had 2 layers in the bottom quilt. But the bottom is only 2 layers from my head to my butt, from my butt to my feet is one layer.

I was really surprised that it did so well at 16F

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast