Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

UQ secondary suspension

What are some of the better secondary suspension 'systems' on under quilts?
    I have a 2/3 uq that came without it and its sagging too much. I wanne add one myself but not sure what's the best way to go about it. I vaguely remember an uq that had a great secondary suspension but can't find it back.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    This may give some insight. Did it on mine and kept from doing the accordion effect.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Dekozn View Post
    What are some of the better secondary suspension 'systems' on under quilts?
    I have a 2/3 uq that came without it and its sagging too much. I wannea add one myself but not sure what's the best way to go about it. I vaguely remember an uq that had a great secondary suspension but can't find it back.
    All of the various secondary suspensions I've seen are pretty much the same: a loop of shock cord on each end of the UQ with cord locks or linelocs to adjust the tension at each corner of the UQ. The purpose is to keep the UQ extended along the primary suspension. It also ends up providing a bit of extra lift.

Is your UQ sagging or is it bunching up in the middle? If the primary concern is sagging, you may not have the primary (and only) suspension taut enough. FWIW, my short UQ functions pretty well with only a primary (when it hasn't shifted off to the side in the middle of the night .)

Shug to the rescue woo buddy. Hope all is wel is sector 7.

Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    All of the various secondary suspensions I've seen are pretty much the same: a loop of shock cord on each end of the UQ with cord locks or linelocs to adjust the tension at each corner of the UQ. The purpose is to keep the UQ extended along the primary suspension. It also ends up providing a bit of extra lift.

Is your UQ sagging or is it bunching up in the middle? If the primary concern is sagging, you may not have the primary (and only) suspension taut enough. FWIW, my short UQ functions pretty well with only a primary (when it hasn't shifted off to the side in the middle of the night .)
    Honestly I can't really remember lol, I was going true my gear and found the uq back and remembered I had to put a secondary suspension on it but never came to it. I know I fiddled with it but always had cold spots and then just bought a wooki for my wb.
    I vaguely remember an uq that had a superior secondary suspension but I could be wrong.

Images
    I wouldn't call it "superior" but I like the way Jacks R Better does their secondary (at least on the Greylock, that's the only quilt of theirs I've seen up close).

I took a cue from that and modified a Loco Libre UQ that didn't have a secondary suspension. It just involved moving the cordlocks from the UQ's end cinches onto the primary lines instead, and then running the end cinch lines through the same cordlock. The only difference between this and the JRB method, is the cordlock is sewn to a loop of grosgrain at the corner of the quilt on theirs. Otherwise the lines run the same way. You just slide the positions of the cordlocks along the primary lines to provide the secondary suspension adjustments.

Thread linked below:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...eries-Habanero

Ok that's might be the easiest fix out there thanks.
    Edit: yeah superior might not be the right choice of words didn't know how to express it

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I wouldn't call it "superior" but I like the way Jacks R Better does their secondary (at least on the Greylock, that's the only quilt of theirs I've seen up close).

I took a cue from that and modified a Loco Libre UQ that didn't have a secondary suspension. It just involved moving the cordlocks from the UQ's end cinches onto the primary lines instead, and then running the end cinch lines through the same cordlock. ...
    That's a nice mod but, I going to hazard a guess here in that I suspect the OP's UQ could very well be lacking end cinches (?)

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I was introduced to secondary suspension with my HammockGear UQ's. Other vendors sell solutions like a triangle thingy that connects to the end of the hammock on one corner and the other two corners have attachments to provide lift for the end of the UQ. Other hangers, if their UQ's need more support, simply connect a line - usually bungee - over the hammock ridgeline and attach it to both UQ sides (near the ends) to give additional lift.

In the olden days, cinching the ends of the UQ seemed the thing to do. Others showed that though it looked good on paper, it assumed a parallel lie. A diagonal lie could push out at the ends and create a gap. It may be better to loosen the end cinch so that part of the UQ and better form-fit to whatever is going on and emphasize more on the lift.

If I had just one UQ and one hammock, I would dial it in and not change it. But I change hammocks and UQ's and often there is no one around to get in the hammock so I can inspect it. One reason I use a UQP is it makes the UQ fit less critical. You can't ignore it, but it doesn't have to be ace perfect with the UQP wind blockage.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Secondary suspension has nothing to do with your sagging problem and will do nothing to fix it. I would replace the primary shock cord and get it adjusted correctly. If you still have head to foot positioning problems then I would look into adding secondary

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast