Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC

JRB High Sierra Sniveler as Underquilt?

I modified my HSS with additional loops at the foot end, in hopes that I can use it as an underquilt. I wrote JRB asking if it could be used that way, and they said it could not because of its width and its shape. I am still thinking that I could. I figure that if I use shock cord connected from the loops on the quilt to suspend it from the bottom of my hammock at the proper hang depth beneath, that it could actually work as an underquilt. I also found that I could form the foot box around the foot end of my hammock and still have it hang so that the down is not being compressed to cause detriment to its loft. Has anyone else used the HSS as an underquilt? If so, how did you modify yours to work that way? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Hi Ken,

From our testing, we found the Snivellers do not work as underquilts for three reasons:

1. The width: Once you get over 48" wide the combination of the weight and the angle needed for the end suspension cause the underquilt to not snug up to the hammock which can lead to air gaps.

2. The shape: The half taper causes the quilt to fall away from the hammock.

3. When hung at the proper tension to remove any air gaps and not compress the down the head-hole would pop open and cause CBS.

I experimented with solutions similar to what you described but in the end, found the results to be inconsistent at best. More often than not I woke up with a cold spot somewhere (usually around the shoulder blades where an air gap formed or lower back where the head hole is.) For me, too much fiddle factor and poor results made it a solution I cannot recommend.
    Jacks R Better, makers of the of the Original Under Quilt and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock.
    www.jacksrbetter.com
    Facebook: JacksRBetterQuilts
    Intstagram: Jacks_R_Better_Quilts

Hammock
    Onewind 11’ w/ridgeline
    Tarp
    Onewind 12’ Silnyl
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles & St
    If I’m honest, not sure why you wouldn’t have just trusted the opinion of the actual manufacturer, other than looking for confirmation bias… but props to DGrav for posting the rationale behind their advice publicly. Another positive for JRB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Understood. I just felt like I could make it work.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Quote Originally Posted by SvenGolly View Post
    If I’m honest, not sure why you wouldn’t have just trusted the opinion of the actual manufacturer, other than looking for confirmation bias… but props to DGrav for posting the rationale behind their advice publicly. Another positive for JRB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I wanted to see if others had tried it and made it work somehow. I tried it overnight once with my set up, and didn’t really experience any drafts. Perhaps it wasn’t cold enough for a real test. Just thought I was on to something with the modification.

• + New Posts